3rd Trimester
Options

Depression

I have been suffering from depression and with a lot of family issues and relationship issues adding on to that, I am going to ask my doctor for some help. I am worried about the effects of an anti depressant on my baby. Anyone taken anti depressants during pregnancy? What was the outcome? 

Re: Depression

• Options
    Thank you! *hugs* 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have not personally taken anti-depressants while pregnant, however I have suffered from depression during and very badly post pardom with my previous pregnancy... in efforts to ensure that I don't experience the same issues after baby I am choosing to try placenta encapsulation it is a homeopathic remedy to give your body back the nutrients lost during pregnancy and child birth. It is supposed to help regulate hormone changes, post-pardom blues, milk supply and many other aspects of mother hood after baby... I would encourage you to do some research and reach out for help and communicate your feelings. Best wishes to you.
  • Options
    kac73082kac73082 member
    edited August 2014
    I am currently 27 weeks and went through a similar situation. I went off my medication when I found out I was expecting and it was horrible. I was so anxious and depressed but I wanted to try and stick it out. At about 22 weeks it became so bad that all of my doctors agreed the benefits far outweighed the risks to the baby. I'm on a low dose of Zoloft and feel so much better! I am starting to feel like my old self and actually have a positive outlook. I'm taking much better care of myself as a result. Don't be scared to be completely honest with your doctor. Being pregnant is hard. Being pregnant while depressed is beyond hard. Take care of yourself so you can take care of your baby. I promise, it gets better. Good luck
  • Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate your input and telling me your experiences. It means a lot! 
    I have been able to go without anti depressants for a couple years then after I had my first son, I started taking zoloft for postpartum depression. I quit zoloft when I felt I could handle it on my own and have done well until now. A lot of things have piled up on me lately and it was the advice nurse who alerted me after I started having some medical issues that she thought it was due to stress and anxiety. I didn't realize it until I started thinking about it and then the flood gates opened. I see my OB monday and am going to definitely ask for some help. I have been blessed by an amazing OB who knows my family history and knows my former and current struggles. I will let you all know what is going on! 
  • Options
    From my experience and research, most medical professionals recommend staying on anti-depressants during pregnancy. Like a previous post said, treating mental health is usually a priority because a person with severe depression and/or anxiety is at risk for intentionally or not intentionally harming herself and/or baby.

I have been on Cipralex (Lexapro in the USA) for close to three years, and when I became pregnant, my doctor lowered my dose, but kept me on it. I've been on it my entire pregnancy. I'm almost 30 weeks and have had no major problems. My baby is measuring right on schedule and both me/babe seem to be in good health. I have a friend who also stayed on her anti-depressant and she has a healthy, happy and very smart three year old now.

I, too, struggled with the idea of being on a medication while pregnant because I hated the idea of passing the drug along to my baby, but you do have to put your trust in the hands of the professionals. Where I live, there is an on-going program where they connect mothers who take various medications and do continual research based on their experiences. It has allowed me to get information based on the specific drug I take. Maybe see if there is a program like that in your area? Ask your doc...
  • Options
    So glad you are talking to your doc and arching out for help. It is one of the most difficult things to do, good for you! My doc resumed my antidepressants after I hit the second trimester and I have noticed a huge change in my mood. Since then I have been having a much better pregnancy and have been more motivated to use other coping tools such as exercise and reaching out to friends and family. Good luck to you !
  • Options
    I was on 5mg Lexapro while pregnant and BFing, and I take an emergency med - Ativan - when I feel a panic attack coming on.

I can't function when I'm not on Lexapro, and babies need their moms to be physically, mentally, and emotionally well.

Definitely talk to your doctor and GL!

• Options
    Well, I saw the OB last week. I was prescribed 50mg Zoloft and after my blood work came back, I am taking iron as well for anemia. 
    I have been feeling so much better! More energy, I can actually think about 1 thing at a time, I am getting things done around the house. I am feeling as great as I think I possibly could! I even got the baby's room all done. 
  • Options
    I started to take vitamin D as recommended by my therapist whom I started to see just to be safe since I'll be delivering in the middle of winter and usually get a bit seasonal and just want to try to stave off any possible post partum. She and my OB doctor agree it is safe to take up to 5000 MG a day and best to break up the dose throughout the day. I currently am taking 2000-3000 MG daily and wow has my mood improved! I went from crying all day and super depressed to cheery and normal. And I definitely notice if i miss a day, especially if there's no sun. Also sitting by windows to do homework, even on cloudy days, helps to absorb the rays for natural vitamin D production. Best thing I've ever tried and totally safe! Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"