September 2012 Moms
Options

Dream job

What's your dream job?

Do you think it's something you'll actually ever pursue?

If yes, when? And what do you need to do first to make it a reality?

If no, why not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dream job

• Options
    Counselor in private practice- making my own hours, determining what clients I take and being able to have that level of flexibility. Plus the money.

I am pursuing it. I take my licensing exam in Oct and it will take 2 yrs to log the hours for my license. Then I can start to piece together how I'm going to work things.
  • Options
    i don't think my dream job exists. but as close as i can get is to stay in academia at a research-centered university. i just need to find one of those that don't make people relentlessly stressed and unhappy.

yep, i sure hope i'm pursuing it. i have about a year left for the phd and then it's on to greener (post-doc) pastures. or at least, that's the plan. it's a long road and you take what you can get for a while, but hopefully we can settle somewhere 'permanent' in 5 or 6 years. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    What's your dream job? Author (fiction books)

Do you think it's something you'll actually ever pursue? Yes, I've been talking about it forever, so I think I need to actually take action.

If yes, when? And what do you need to do first to make it a reality? Sooner rather than later. I need to get on a writing schedule and commit to one topic and stop screwing around. I've actually considered going for an MFA in creative writing through a program that would have me write a book instead of a thesis, as a way to keep me accountable. But I can't decide if that's smart to keep me on track or completely asinine to pay money for a degree so I can write a book that might not even get published.

If no, why not? See above for why I haven't done it yet. Fear, mainly, that I will find myself unemployed and unable to get published.

• Options
    Owning my own business.  

DH has always wanted to own his own business (he has a specific franchise in mind - he helped his uncle open the 3 he owns).  I would love to help run it and manage all the finances.  

We hope to pursue it someday, but I imagine it will be once our kids are in college or late high school.  That gives me a lot more time to build up $ in case it fails.  It may be once they're in college just because I know that when DH and I put our hearts into something, we go all-in.  I wouldn't feel bad if we're spending our lives around a business once the kids are out of the house.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    melody921 said:
    What's your dream job? Own a toy store that also hosts birthday parties, it would be in an old Victorian home downtown.

Do you think it's something you'll actually ever pursue? No

If no, why not? I don't want to work weekends ;)

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    melody921 said:
    What's your dream job? Own a toy store that also hosts birthday parties, it would be in an old Victorian home downtown.

HA! The not wanting to work weekends is why I won't pursue owning a bfast/lunch restaurant or a bakery, which I would also love.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    hmp1 said:
    melody921 said:

HA! The not wanting to work weekends is why I won't pursue owning a bfast/lunch restaurant or a bakery, which I would also love.
    I figure if DH and I own a restaurant together then we can take time off in the middle of the week to make up for the lost weekend time.  That, and I'd hire really good people to run it so I can still take vacations.  ;)   

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:

Do you think it's something you'll actually ever pursue? Yes, I've been talking about it forever, so I think I need to actually take action.

If yes, when? And what do you need to do first to make it a reality? Sooner rather than later. I need to get on a writing schedule and commit to one topic and stop screwing around. I've actually considered going for an MFA in creative writing through a program that would have me write a book instead of a thesis, as a way to keep me accountable. But I can't decide if that's smart to keep me on track or completely asinine to pay money for a degree so I can write a book that might not even get published.

If no, why not? See above for why I haven't done it yet. Fear, mainly, that I will find myself unemployed and unable to get published.

Can I offer a little advice?  Skip the MFA and JUST WRITE. Writers write.  Period.  You can learn a lot from a program, but you'll learn more, IMO, from the process of writing.  If your goal is learning to write publishable fiction, just teach yourself to write publishable fiction.  The resources are all there.

And very, very few authors ever quit their day jobs.  Even if you are published.  You simply don't make enough to live on that income.  Not trying to throw cold water on you--but realistically, pursue writing knowing you'll probably write and ____ .  So yes, it would be a dumb move to quit your job and pursue writing "full time."  Because the definition of "success" in this industry doesn't even include that :)
  • Options
    Hyaline said:
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:

Can I offer a little advice?  Skip the MFA and JUST WRITE. Writers write.  Period.  You can learn a lot from a program, but you'll learn more, IMO, from the process of writing.  If your goal is learning to write publishable fiction, just teach yourself to write publishable fiction.  The resources are all there.

And very, very few authors ever quit their day jobs.  Even if you are published.  You simply don't make enough to live on that income.  Not trying to throw cold water on you--but realistically, pursue writing knowing you'll probably write and ____ .  So yes, it would be a dumb move to quit your job and pursue writing "full time."  Because the definition of "success" in this industry doesn't even include that :)
    @hyaline WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH All things I know, but still sad. What is the definition of success in this industry then? I'd better start researching resources too.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    What's your dream job? A job in forensics.  I think it'd be awesome to collect crime scene evidence and analyze it.  Obviously there's more to the job, but I think I'd really enjoy it.

If no, why not? I'm a pretty unmotivated person, and not super smart (sorry, it's true).  I think a career like that would be too much for me.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    amandad715amandad715 member
    edited August 2014
    melody921 said:

What's your dream job?
    I know I've said this on here before but is love to open a stroller fitness exercise franchise. It could be part time, after putting the kiddos on the bus(I'm thinking in the future!) It would be social & help connect new moms or each other while getting out of the house. Plus, it incorporates exercise.

::sigh:: Maybe. Our plans are for me to teach for awhile longer(2-3ish more years) bc we are looking to purchase a lot now to build on, and hopefully by that time we'll be in a new house. Then I'll stay home. So maybe then.

There is nothing like that here, even to try. Id have to invest $$, train and get certain certifications for teaching a fitness class. I'd have to find locations to meet both in outside weather and in cold weather. Also, I'd have to market my small business.

If no, why not?
    It's not a 'no' but there are many steps in between now and when it would be a go. And I'm not getting any younger.....

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited August 2014
    kelbel527 said:
    Owning my own business.  

DH has always wanted to own his own business (he has a specific franchise in mind - he helped his uncle open the 3 he owns).  I would love to help run it and manage all the finances.  

We hope to pursue it someday, but I imagine it will be once our kids are in college or late high school.  That gives me a lot more time to build up $ in case it fails.  It may be once they're in college just because I know that when DH and I put our hearts into something, we go all-in.  I wouldn't feel bad if we're spending our lives around a business once the kids are out of the house.  
    More realistically, this is what our plan is. DH to do what he does now but work for himself. Once we are secure with just his business and don't need my job for insurance and other safety nets, I would quit to work for the business in a CFO/HR type roll. This is something we can envision happening in like 5-10 years. If we wait until the kids are in/out of college, I'm not sure we would make the leap as we would only be 10 years away from retirement at that point.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Although I have a laundry list of complaints on any given day, I think in the big picture I have my dream job, career-wise that is.

But my real dream job (that I'll never have) would be something where I don't take work home, work an 8 hour day or less, doing things that are not very important (I.e. Not stressful), where I get to interact with people, laugh, everyone is happy, and what I'm doing is making their day better. All of that without encountering sad things. Any ideas what that job would be? Working an amusement park? Haha...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

Although I have a laundry list of complaints on any given day, I think in the big picture I have my dream job, career-wise that is.

But my real dream job (that I'll never have) would be something where I don't take work home, work an 8 hour day or less, doing things that are not very important (I.e. Not stressful), where I get to interact with people, laugh, everyone is happy, and what I'm doing is making their day better. All of that without encountering sad things. Any ideas what that job would be? Working an amusement park? Haha...

Too many entitled idiots ;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I would actually love to be a doula, midwife, L&D nurse or something like that. It will probably never happen considering that I prided myself on getting through college without taking a single science class.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    melody921 said:

What's your dream job? Own an awesome little wine bar.

Do you think it's something you'll actually ever pursue? No.

If no, why not? I don't want to work nights/weekends and i don't want to put all my energy and
    Money into something that has a high chance of failing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    harti09 said:

harti09 said:

Own a brewpub.

It's something DH and I think about doing way down the road when kids are grown and he's out of the Army. It's turned in to this elaborate dream where we talk about decor, menu items, beer names, etc.

DH's best friend is the brewmaster at a place in Alaska. He said he'd join our dream team, haha.
    Maybe I can just work for you, would you want to add a nice wine selection to your menu?

Hired! ;)

Easiest interview ever!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it sad that I can't even answer the first part? I jump around all the time. Basically my answers are no, I will not pursue whatever my dream job is from one day to the next because I am far too practical and comfortable knowing where my paycheck will come from consistently.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    Hyaline said:
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:

@hyaline WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH All things I know, but still sad. What is the definition of success in this industry then? I'd better start researching resources too.
    IMO?  Success is selling enough books that publishers keep paying you to write them :)  Seems attainable but still difficult, haha.
  • Options
    I can safely say I have no idea.  I have changed my course so many times in regards to school and jobs...I just can't pin point one thing I would be happy doing forever.  I think I might just need to put more thought into it though.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    This was really fun to think during 3am pregsomnia. I think my dream job might be a camp counselor at Camp Tecumseh, the greatest camp in the world. Next might be being an artist and selling homegrown produce at Henrietta Manor (my huge, pristine working farm named after my first cat Henrietta Dandelion). I would probably do both of those if we sold our company and I got rich. Otherwise I sort of have a lifelong tether to the company which I've come to realize is a good thing. I'll probably die there, most likely on my treadmill desk while trying to use photoshop.
    One of DH's lotto money jobs is opening a father son skate camp that would include a lake for fishing/sail boats and a par 3 golf course. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I think my dream job would be to On my dream job would be to own a family center- not like a daycare, but a space that has parenting workshops, breastfeeding support, a lending library of books and developmentally appropriate toys, and host play groups and book clubs and all of my favorite things in life.

Will I ever pursue that? I have no idea. Right now the stable paycheck of my school system job is needed, so the other components of it are my hobbies.

• Options
    What's your dream job?
    To own my own business. It will be an indoor dog park with a little shop in front where I'll sell collars, leashes, etc.

Yes

I'm first starting online selling the collars, leashes, etc and save the money to invest in a building for the park. Im hoping in five years I'll get started on the park.

If no, why not?

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    What's your dream job?

I'm pretty much in it--working part-time as a college writing tutor and resources manager, and writing.  I would like to get my master's so I can teach (adjunct at a small college) as well.

Yes.  I want to go back to school either when DD does or before, at least for the master's if not on to PhD.  

And I continue to pursue publication :)  It's one uncertain road, for sure!

In the next few years, going back to school.  Publication is a constant work in progress for me (and my beleaguered agent, lol).

If no, why not?

BUT I will probably never quit other work and write full-time.  For one, I love working with people too much--they're a never-ending stream of inspiration and hilarity.  Also, there's no way in hecksies I can count on making enough writing.

• Options
    I'd either love to write children's books about the cats--The Adventures of Mavis & Wanda (Honestly, I have dreams about my cats doing wacky things that I think it's my imagination setting me up with plot lines) or I'd like to be a florist.  

When my biological Dad died, my Mom and my Grandma almost bought a flower shop near where my Mom grew up.  I always tell her I wish she would have actually done it.  

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

I thought about this all night because I first I had no answer, then I remembered what I had wanted to do when I got out of high school.

A radio DJ or talk show host.

No, I'll never do it.  I have a good stable job.  I have no desire to go back to school.  Also, the market for employment is slim.

imageimage 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"