December 2013 Moms
Options

Diaper Change in Restaurant Booth

Re: Diaper Change in Restaurant Booth

• Options
    sweett11 said:

Forget the sanitary aspect of it, there are creepsters in world. You're exposing your baby's bits to the world when you change them in the wide open like that. Maybe I'm just super paranoid but that's something I think about.

Wouldn't this be worse when changing on a change station? Your baby is more exposed and they are usually the first thing when you walk into the bathroom so people see it straight away.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Way to be tacky as shit. Congrats.

Were you people born in barns?

No but I'm a farm girl so I spend a lot of time in one :)

• Options
    mcncheese said:

I STILL WANT ANSWERS... WHAT IS WITH THE TROLL GIF?!!?!?!?!?

Maybe she was looking in a mirror?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

mcncheese said:

I STILL WANT ANSWERS... WHAT IS WITH THE TROLL GIF?!!?!?!?!?

Maybe she was looking in a mirror?
    I'm not a troll. I just thought it was funny.

• Options
    And what exactly would a troll look like to you?

• Options

Someone who tries to start unnecessary drama in a legitimate thread and thinks everyone is "flaming her"...

Shoe meet foot.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sweett11 said:

Is this a real question?

Completely

• Options

To save on space, many restaurants don't have counters anymore and have gone to pedestal sinks.

I really can't think of one restaurant I've been to in the last year that had a pedestal sink.  Go to your car. 

Most fast food restaurants that I have been it don't have counters they have pedestal sinks or those sinks that stick out from the wall (still no counter to change).

As I said before there was no one around me at all when I changed LO (on a changing pad) and then I disinfected everything with clorox wipes, so it was probably cleaner than when I got there.

mcncheese said:
    and for those all grossed out by the bathroom floor guess what the changing table you fold out from the wall is probably not much cleaner. do you think that gets sanitized often? i doubt it. 
    If ever..... Yuck!!!
    I wipe it down with a clorox wipe before laying a changing pad down and then putting LO on it. Then I try to keep him from touching it too much and make sure to wash his hands really well after. The floor is a much bigger space to try and clean, especially if they are trying to roll all over the place.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Options
    Ditto to the disgusting and unsanitary comments about changing your child's diaper where other people dine or sit.  It is so gross I can't believe this is even a discussion.  Also, the bottom of the changing pad that you are using has also touched many a disgusting surface and is now in contact with the seat that I'm sitting on.  Thanks for the germs and everything else you have passed along.
    Baby Girl Cbowl born 12/2013.   Love love love.

• Options
    Skylight21Skylight21 member
    edited August 2014
    @Risalyn222‌ just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean that I'm annoying

• Options
    I have changed LO on the floor in public restrooms twice. Both times they were tiny restrooms and looked fairly clean. Second, we travel and don't often have a car around but I would absolutely change her outside or carry her somewhere that did have a changing station before I would ever consider changing her in an eating establishment (empty or not). It is disgusting and completely disrespectful to other patrons, and ridiculously selfish and lazy!

image Lilypie - (zGBv)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

No @skylight21 that's pretty much everybody's opinion. She's just the first to say it. Annoying AND disgusting.

Shucks, thanks. What I strive for

• Options
    I am honestly amazed that people think it is OK to change a diaper on a restaurant table/booth. use your car, the floor of the bathroom, any place but where other are EATING. would you change a diaper on the table at Thanksgiving dinner? 
    and for those all grossed out by the bathroom floor guess what the changing table you fold out from the wall is probably not much cleaner. do you think that gets sanitized often? i doubt it. 

Which is why this can not be an argument of how sanitary it is, which is what many of you are trying to make it. 

An argument of respect of other diners, absolutely. The deciding factor is how much it bothers YOU. For me, it's really not that bothersome. 

Also, you could argue that taking the baby out with a rank diaper passing by all other people eating would have had the same smelly effect. But whatevs
    Diaper changes, just like using the toilet, is a private matter. would you pee in front of other diners? no, so why should we see your babys bottom or smell their poop?
    The thing that really amazes me is how flipping LAZY some of you are. there are other places to change the diaper which do NOT interfere with others dining experience. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ugoglencocougoglencoco member
    edited August 2014
    I have literally sat on a toilet and changed my kid in my lap with a blanket because I forgot to get the changing pad out of the dryer before I left and we had walked to a restaurant on vacation so no car option. It was MY fault that I forgot the changing pad and I would never ever even think of being so rude as to change the diaper out in the dining room where others are eating. That's just filthy. You find something, anything else to do besides change the diaper in the booth. How rank.
  • Options
    Thanks Turk!!
  • Options
    I'm joining this party late and I have changed my kids in the car, in the grass, on the beach, and on the bathroom floor more times that I care for, but NEVER EVER in a dining room.  Freakin' gross!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask the waitstaff for a chair or two. Bring the chair(s) into the bathroom. Change baby on the chair in the bathroom.
  • Options
    A while ago there was a complaint letter in my local paper about how some parents were changing there kids diapers on the nice couches in the centre of the mall. I was horrified especially since there were public washrooms with changing tables not 25 feet away. I just could not believe how lazy people could be. Now I don't drive and it cxan get cold here and any of the list of excuses but I have never considered changing my childs diaper where people eat. Also when I am with my children I generally am not going to places that don't have change tables. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kittyh8rkittyh8r member
    edited August 2014
    If the person in a booth next to me was changing a poop diaper, I would be pissed and would say something. I don't leave my house, spend hard earned money on food, to have it ruined by your child's rank diaper. Our front seat isn't that big either, but I have absolutely squeezed Amelia on it to change her. I have also put a blanket in the floor of my car and that works better. So many options, other than the booth.

My loling at not wanting to be rude by using a friend's car, but it's not being rude to open your kids diaper in front of them while they eat. Class act, I tell ya.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Way late to the party, but changing a baby where people eat is gross.  There are things like portable and/or disposable changing pads and Lysol wipes for situations where you don't have a dedicated changing surface.  If the floor is gross, use some Lysol wipes to make it a little more sanitary.  If you don't have Lysol wipes and a portable/disposable changing pad, then I'm not sure what difference a changing table would make, because a changing table in a public restroom is probably just as filthy as the floor.  If I'm out in public with LO and have him in a stroller, I prefer bringing the stroller into the bathroom, reclining the seat, and changing him in that over a public changing table. 

I will say that there's no way I'd be able to change LO on my lap...maybe if he was sitting up?  No way could I lay him on my lap--I have short legs and a very long and wiggly LO. 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• Options
    While it's a sucky situation, I agree that I would never change a poo diaper at a table around other people who are eating. No one wants to smell that, plus the sanitary issues. I could see changing a quick pee diaper maybe, but if that were the case I would've just done it in the car before we went in.
  • Options
    Also I would NEVER change my baby on the bathroom floor. That is just as fucking gross to me & I can't believe people actually do that.
  • Options

Also I would NEVER change my baby on the bathroom floor. That is just as fucking gross to me & I can't believe people actually do that.

Agreed!
    Baby Girl Cbowl born 12/2013.   Love love love.

• Options
    mcncheese said:

Seriously?!? You lay something down!! If I had no other options yes, my kid would be on the floor, on her changing pad...
    There would always be some other option I would choose. The car, even the grass, but the bathroom floor?? Hell no. My baby is wiggly & I'm not about to risk that nastiness.
  • Options
    I hardly post anymore and i know this thread is pretty old news but just wanted to agree that changing the baby on the bathroom floor is beyond disgusting. Put down the blanket and changing pad sure, that doesnt make me feel better though. Also, for me personally it wouldnt be an option due to both bad knees and a bad back...i wouldnt make it up off the floor lol.

Cant say exactly what id do if i didnt have a car because i would never be in that situation. I always use the car for changes even if there is a changing table though...its what i prefer.
  • Options
    ColeRose said:

mcncheese said:

Seriously?!? You lay something down!! If I had no other options yes, my kid would be on the floor, on her changing pad...
    There would always be some other option I would choose. The car, even the grass, but the bathroom floor?? Hell no. My baby is wiggly & I'm not about to risk that nastiness.
    And if you are at a restaurant in the city with no car, no changing table in the bathroom and only a pedestal sink wtf are you supposed to do?
    Honestly I wouldn't be in that situation, I always drive. But if so then maybe the stroller? I'd probably attempt the lap change before doing that, I don't know. Hey I mean, people do what they gotta do & I get it if you were in a situation where you felt like you had no option, it's just that doesn't make it any less gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"