Breastfeeding
Options

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 08/11

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. How long have you been on the diet? Are you avoiding any other food(s)?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 08/11

• Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Fantastic

2. How long have you been on the diet? Are you avoiding any other food(s)?  This time around 7 months.  Wheat, and eggs

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?  You guys may want to hate me, but I have introduced everything directly to DD and now back into my diet....with the exception of peanuts directly to DD since it was positive on the RAST.  We were away on vacation last week, and I ate so many amazing things. 

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?  I will nurse her for as long as she and I are both happy.  I nursed DD1 until she was 21 months.  DD1 was good with dairy at 10 months, but didn't like cow's milk so I liked that I was able to nurse her for a long time. 

• Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Both of us are doing good!! We introduced DD2 to peas this week and so far so good. I was pretty anxious about this because the bean family seems to give her trouble.

2. How long have you been on the diet? Are you avoiding any other food(s)? About 5 months - no dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, beef, wheat, corn and black beans. I have unofficially stayed away from fish and pineapple too.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? For BTDT moms, when is it a good time to challenge my own diet now that DD is starting solids? Do I introduce them to her first and if all goes well, then I can eat them? Seems like that'll take a while (which is okay) so I wanted to hear how others have done it.

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision? My goals have been small. I never expected to make it this far so when we hit 6 months, my new goal now is 9 months and then hopefully 1 year. When times were tough, her MSPI helped push me through. I've very open-minded about extended BF'ing and I do think her MSPI will play a role to keep going.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    RingOfFire11  with DD1 I introduced directly to her as to not taint my milk supply.  With DD2 I did a combination...I introduced soy directly to her basically out of desperation.  I had found some frozen wheat/dairy/egg free products that looked good, but had soy flour.  So I gave those a shot, and she was fine.  Then I introduced dairy back into my diet, and she was fine so I gave her some.  I did the same with wheat.  I introduced egg directly back to her, and then finally added it into my diet. 
  • Options
    @camedowncrushing - thanks for the advice! Directly does make the most sense, in case there is an issue. Congrats on your DD2 doing well with the new foods!! I bet it's a relief and the amazing food you're eating is a huge plus too, lol. Oh and I don't hate you...this gives me lots of hope! :D

• Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

Doing well. After both of us getting sick several times over the last month, I think we're both finally healthy :) I've been talking about trying baked dairy for over a month but keep chickening out; maybe all this talk about reintroducing foods will push me to actually do it!

8 1/2 months, also avoiding tree nuts and beef. Without thinking, I ate something with pecans in it last night so we'll see if DD reacts to that. With cashews she didn't react until 3-4 days of consecutive exposure, so maybe the one time won't be enough to cause a problem.

Nothing this week.

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?

I had never really set an endpoint to breastfeeding, but we're at 10 1/2 months and neither of us seem ready to stop anytime soon, so we will probably continue past a year. As of this week, DH and I are TTC, so that may change things. Mentally, we were ready to TTC at 6 months, but I wanted to wait until closer to a year in case I were to get pregnant and have my supply drop. Ultimately, I didn't want to negatively impact my breastfeeding relationship with DD. I still haven't had my first PP period, so who knows when it'll even be possible. Hopefully I'll still be able to BF until DD decides she's done :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We are doing well aside from another GI bug hitting our house.

14 weeks, dairy/soy

Not this week

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?
    I will plan to follow DD2's lead. My goal for now is 6 months. Being better educated and having resources like this has already helped me along further then with DD1!!!

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• Options

Hi all!

:-h

Just popping in to say I am so happy to see all the good news!!

• Options
    1. How are you doing? We have all had hand foot mouth so not much fun this past week. How is your LO doing? He is doing much better

2. How long have you been on the diet? 7 months Are you avoiding any other food(s)? dairy, soy, wheat, egg, tree nut, peanut, oats and now rice. 

3.Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? I'm getting better with cooking. I made some soups this week and they were good. I am back to work now and have had a few lunches out with coworkers. This is a little difficult but I think I've done well choosing foods. I have an appointment for allergy testing tomorrow. We will see how that goes :)

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? I am planning on extended breastfeeding. We had a lot of trouble early on my first goal was 6 weeks then 6 months. My goal has been month by month since 6 months my plan was to not pump and let him have milk alternative at DC and nurse at home. After his allergy testing his allergist and pedi recommended extended breastfeeding so that's what we will do for as long as we can. At least i have a private office to pump in now.Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?

• Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We are both good finally!  (Hope I'm not jinxing anything!)

2. How long have you been on the diet? Are you avoiding any other food(s)?  Since he was about 3 weeks old, ended up eliminating the top 8 around 6 weeks due to reactions from multiple foods.  I'm currently milk/soy/wheat/fish/shellfish free.  He's been ok with eggs that are cooked into other things (but they have to be completely cooked otherwise he reacts), and I've also added tree nuts and peanuts with no problems.  

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? Not really... it's been hard to limit my diet, but it's so worth it.  (and it sure helped get rid of the pregnancy weight!)

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision?  I'm planning on BF as long as I can... my goal is at least 1 year.  I've gone through the diet changes so far... might as well keep going!  Though I do hope he outgrows a lot of these sensitivities sooner rather than later  

:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  We're just starting this journey.  Still having lots of mucousy stools and visible blood probably every other day. Fortunately he is not very fussy at all.

2. How long have you been on the diet? Are you avoiding any other food(s)? 2 weeks but I made a lot of mistakes the first week so I am not counting it. For now I'm just avoiding milk and soy, including soybean oil and soy lecithin. 

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?  Lots of questions!  Do you guys think beer is safe? It's so hard to tell what's in it. I don't know if there are any soy products.  I have a beer every once in a while.  What about Sugar in the Raw?  I just started using it in my Mother's Milk tea but researching it I can't figure out if it has anything other than sugar in it.

4. Are you currently or planning on extended breastfeeding? Does/did your LO's MSPI factor into your decision? Saw an LC last week after returning to work and she confirmed that I have low supply. We had to start supplementing with Alimentum. I've been working really hard to increase my supply and it seems to be paying off but I'm not sure I will ever produce enough milk to completely stop supplementing.  So I am hoping to make it to at least 6 months.  Has anyone else had to supplement?  I heard Nutrimigen is supposed to be good for MSPI but our pedi specifically said to use Alimentum.  We go in for a diaper check on Friday so I will ask more questions then.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

@whoberry I found this article about beer and wine: https://www.livingwithout.com/issues/2_2/hidden_additives-1318-1.html

I did drink some beer while on the MSPI diet, and it didn't seem to bother my DS. I know the mass produced beers tend to have a lot more additives than craft beers. Maybe if you're getting yours from a local brewery, you could ask how they make it?

I think raw sugar is just sugar. :)

A few moms here have had to supplement with formula. The common recommended brands are Alimentum, Nutramigen, and Elecare, I think. You might get more advice about these on the Food Allergy board. I've heard some MSPI babies do fine on one of these but not the others. If you're still having issues even once your diet is clean of dairy and soy you might consider switching formula before cutting anything else out of you diet.

GL!

• Options
    amichelle723  did you try yet???
  • Options
    amichelle723  did you try yet???
    I did! I gave her 2 bites of banana bread that I made this afternoon. She didn't have a reaction yet, so I plan to give her more tomorrow. Sometimes she doesn't react until the 3rd or 4th day, but I'm trying to be optimistic! Hopefully she doesn't wake up tomorrow morning with rosy cheeks, we haven't had that in 4-5 months.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"