Natural Birth
Options

Water birth!

I just have to share b/c I'm pretty excited.  The care group that owns my hospital suspended water births last spring and basically said that they were going to do some additional studying of the benefits, but they would welcome research studies and allow water births under a study.  I was in my first tri at that point and had discussed having one with one of my MWs like the week before this announcement was made.  I now am 31 weeks and asked at my appointment today if water births still were suspended.  They will be starting a study at my hospital on 8/21 so having a water birth is a possibility again.  Whew!  I've heard great things about having one and wasn't able to have one with my first b/c I was too far along when I got to the hospital.

So- my biggest question for moms that have had one- what did you wear?  Were you completely naked or did you wear a sports bra?  I'm not sure that I'll really care to be covered, but my husband can be funny about being over exposed so I feel like I should have something just in case he insists. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Water birth!

• Options
    Could you wear a darn nursing tank? 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    @Mama-Bear- Yes!  I also have a nursing bra that is a sleep one, which also would work. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't plan what I was going to wear.  My water broke in the middle of the night 9 days before my due date and I was not ready.  I threw on whatever clothes I could find and left the house.  At the hospital I started in a hospital gown with a sports bra under and within minute had ripped that thing off and just walked around with the sports bra on and nothing else.  I went in and out of the tub because I didn't feel comfortable being in the tub for long and basically said anyone who had an issue seeing me naked should probably leave the birthing room.  Seriously, when you're really in labor you could be wearing anything or nothing and it won't make much of a difference unless you are very conservative.  But even then, that might go out the window in labor!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    @JCWhitney- right- I didn't really care if I was covered with my first.  I'm thinking that my dh will freak out if I'm completely naked, although he was super woozy the entire time with #1 and I think spent most of his time trying not to throw up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but to hell with what your husband wants!  It's what makes you most comfortable, not your husband!  I just had to say that!

Anyway, my hospital only allows water labors, not births.  But with my first I labored in the tub for 5 hours in the hospital.  I brought a maternity tankini, in case I wanted that as an option, but by the time I was getting into the tub I didn't care and was as naked as a jaybird. 
  • Options
    I wore a string bikini top, it was comfortable and easy to take off if I wanted too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning a water birth, but out of hospital. I am going to wear a bikini top, and a little swim skirt without the underwear part. I just want a piece of material to cover that area in pictures. I want the top to be easy to just pull to the side for nursing. Although, I won't be surprised if I end up totally nude considering it will just be me, DH, and two midwives so modesty isn't required. 

I am not 100% if I want to deliver in the tub, but I know I will really love laboring in it. Our birth home/center has a large jetted tub that has supports for different positions and it sounds heavenly. I love a nice bath! The tub is large enough for DH to sit behind me comfortably (he is 6'1'') and help me labor, which is something I really look forward to. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going with a bathing suit top, simply because there will be pictures and I don't want my little nephews and nieces to see my boobs. Once pictures are over, I'll probably take it off to nurse.
    imageimage
  • Options
    That's awesome that a water birth will be a possibility for you! I had one and was amazing. I wore a sports bra, but only because it was comfy and I didn't feel like taking it off.

If your husband "insists" you wear something and you don't want to, you should insist that he only make decisions like that when he is the one giving birth.

• Options
    I wore a bikini top. This time, I'm a little more self conscious about my body so I will probably wear a tanktop, but don't be surprised if you end up totally naked. Many do. I just have severe anxiety and am weird about being naked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Woohoo! I hope you do get your water birth and to participate in the study. I've given birth in the water and on land and the water was sooo much better. I wore a halter maternity bathing suit top (like a tankini so it covered my belly). It kept all my lady parts covered (which was important to me because I had birth pics done). Once I got in the water I stayed in until baby girl was born, but I know others who have gotten in and out several times. Those ladies suggested bringing a few sports bras so you didn't have to stay in the soaking wet top for long after getting out of the tub. Good luck to you! 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    jennish11 said:
    Our hospital didn't allow water births either, but water labor was fine.

I had brought a sports bra for the tub, but when it was time to get in the tub I was in transition and no way was I about to take the time to put on a stupid bra.

When I got out to push, I was in no mood to put on anything, and was naked the rest of the time.  I barely noticed, I was so out of it.
    I went in with my bra still on, but it came off when we started BFing and it was many, many, many hours later when I decided to put anything on.  I had numerous visitors with me just wearing those mesh undies and a pad, including my boss.  Modesty seriously flies right out the window!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I wore a bikini top.  It made me feel more comfortable to be covered.  After summer is a great time to pick one up on clearance too!  I bought a couple sizes up so it would fit at the end of pregnancy.
  • Options
    We had a professional photographer and I didn't want to be nude in the pictures, so I wore a short-sleeved black top with a high round neck. It was an old 90s T that was cropped-length so it didn't touch or irritate my belly at all.
  • Options

We are planning a water birth, but out of hospital. I am going to wear a bikini top, and a little swim skirt without the underwear part. I just want a piece of material to cover that area in pictures. I want the top to be easy to just pull to the side for nursing. Although, I won't be surprised if I end up totally nude considering it will just be me, DH, and two midwives so modesty isn't required. 

I am not 100% if I want to deliver in the tub, but I know I will really love laboring in it. Our birth home/center has a large jetted tub that has supports for different positions and it sounds heavenly. I love a nice bath! The tub is large enough for DH to sit behind me comfortably (he is 6'1'') and help me labor, which is something I really look forward to. 

He knows you might poop in it right? ;)

I just wore a sports bra-type nursing tank. I was comfortable and one ended up with some pictures I felt comfortable sharing that way. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I signed my consent this morning so I think the only other thing that they might need is a blood test, which I'm guessing they do closer to my due date (I need to double check- my old MW group and hospital required one, but perhaps this one doesn't!). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @drpayne - yep! Oh well, the things we do for love. 

I have thought more about it and am pretty sure I will just prefer to be nude. I don't really want labor pictures because for me I always feel like film/photos changes how I feel in that moment as I am concerned with my expression or body. I'd prefer just to remember it. We will take pictures after the birth and share the decent ones. I want the baby to feel full skin to skin, no suit tops or whatever. DH will not be wearing a shirt either. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"