Special Needs
Options

ASD related

How many of you all have taken your child to meet the teacher and to see the new classroom prior to the 1st day of school?

DS will be attending a new school for kindergarten. DH is going to call the teacher so we can visit. I will be the one taking pictures to make a social story of the new school for DS.

The last thing I need is for the bus to pick DS up and he gets upset that they are going a different route than the preschool bus route. But then again, DS went to 2 different day cares for before and after care and the routes were different. Then DS insists I go to target when I need to go to hobby lobby or walmart.

The preschool was great about allowing an open house to meet the teacher and to see the classroom prior to the first day of school for parents and students.

I am questioning myself over this but will still follow through with the visit.

TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ASD related

• Options
    DD isn't diagnosed with ASD, but our school has an open house the week before school starts so kids can see the classrooms and meet the teachers. Does your school not have something like this? I feel like it's pretty common. That's when we bring in our school supplies, too.
  • Options
    I was hoping for an invitation to meet the teacher and see the school by mail or phone call. There was nothing. It shocks me even more that an ASD class would not have this kind of event for ASD students.

School starts this Thursday. We will try to go on Wednesday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's new school didn't have an official open house but had open hours when parents could bring the new kids by the existing students are transitioned by the staff prior to the the move (it's a year round program so the week before the kids visit their new class and teachers each day)
    I took pics at parent orientation and did a quick social story but due to how fast this came together I have no idea if it has sunk in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was hoping for an invitation to meet the teacher and see the school by mail or phone call. There was nothing. It shocks me even more that an ASD class would not have this kind of event for ASD students.

School starts this Thursday. We will try to go on Wednesday.
    This surprises me so much!  They do for every grade at our school, not just kindie.  I hope they're accommodating!  Let us know how his first day goes!  I was a nervous wreck last summer when DD was starting kindie :)
  • Options
    That is crazy that they don't have an open house! I would be so frustrated. Last year when DS started kindy the open house was 2-4 and DS was at summer day camp 1.5 hours away, so he couldn't go. I emailed the teacher and she said that she'd be in the classroom all week prepping so I could bring him another time. The same thing is happening this year, but since he's pretty familier with the school already I think I'm going to just walk him to his classroom the first day and introduce him to his teacher. We have two enormous grocery bags full of school supplies that I'll drop off then too.
  • Options
    DS will start the 18th. This Thursday and Friday we will be out of town.

I am a nervous wreck. I just want school to start so I can stop being so nervous.

I want our IEP fixed. I want the busing to be settled. All this summer, I thought we were getting a female teacher and she has not responded to our request for an IEP meeting on paper or the fact that she is not DS's teacher. We found out this morning we are getting a male teacher (I think that is the exciting part because DS has had female teachers before).
  • Options
    I am taking my nt four year old to his new school prior. I would any kid, autism or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    d.fd.f member
    Last Spring before he started his first year of Kindergarten DS spent an afternoon in the Kindergarten classroom. We had a meet and greet the Thursday before school started. He'll be in the same class with the same teacher this year but we'll still go to the meet and greet.

DS 09/2008

• Options
    DS will start the 18th. This Thursday and Friday we will be out of town.

I am a nervous wreck. I just want school to start so I can stop being so nervous.

I want our IEP fixed. I want the busing to be settled. All this summer, I thought we were getting a female teacher and she has not responded to our request for an IEP meeting on paper or the fact that she is not DS's teacher. We found out this morning we are getting a male teacher (I think that is the exciting part because DS has had female teachers before).

I was a wreck too. And our busing wasn't settled until a couple days before school started- and then I got a call on the first day of school saying his MSW was going to drive him to after-care because his bus didn't show up. I was so ticked, but it was basically trial by fire. I had to learn to deal with some serious anxiety (my own, not DS! He was fine!). Lots of deep breaths, and remember, this is supposed to be fun!!

I am SO jelly of the male teacher!!! DS does great with the few male caregivers he has had.

Last year we had our first day on a Wednesday and then they had to cancel school two days in a row because of record-breaking heat (and the school doesn't have AC). So it was all crazy.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    We are switching DD1 to a new preschool this year and did two tours where they showed everything to her and then she was able to do some free play on the playground with the children (summer program). 

We've also been looking at the school's FB page and going over her favorite parts of the school. She seems to be receptive and excited. I'm hopeful it will be a decent transition.
  • Options
    -auntie- said:
    Transitioning to a new school, absolutey. 

Social Story is a great idea. DS already did his orientation, but we're considering a trip to locate his classrooms/buildings. He'll resist, so I may need to come up with a plausable excuse.
    I made my mother go with me to map out classes on campus my freshman year. Then, I had her drive me and drop me off on the first day. I may have cried.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    -auntie- said:
    Transitioning to a new school, absolutey. 

Social Story is a great idea. DS already did his orientation, but we're considering a trip to locate his classrooms/buildings. He'll resist, so I may need to come up with a plausable excuse.
    I made my mother go with me to map out classes on campus my freshman year. Then, I had her drive me and drop me off on the first day. I may have cried.
    This makes me think of the time I barely got my driver's license and the test evaluator suggested I have someone as a passenger until I was comfortable driving alone. I had to have my driver's license to drive myself to the university. So my dad came with me and had me drive the residential way to the university instead of the freeway. My dad came with me to class the first 2 days of school. He did like my intro to anthropology.

• Options
    I think hat you should suggest a meet the teacher night for the class and/or school. I think that going by is def a good idea but I would call first. As a teacher/ admin the week before school is busy with trainings/meetings etc but I'd be happy to meet with any parent that needed it. I meet early with another teacher last year and her DD the week before school. Her DD was pulled from an older school for bullying. It was nice to reassure the parent and have that background knowledge. I'm not sure of your IEP issues but at my school new children go on 30 day IEPs until we collect the info and goals that we (the team) see as priorities. It just takes time. It'll all come together. Hugs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So we got a scheduled visit on Wednesday at 10:30 am! It will be after the teachers have their meeting.

We hope that all our questions will be answered.
  • Options
    He visited four or five times last spring once we found out he would be changing classrooms and teachers. The aides took pictures of him playing there and sent them to me. He'll be going again the week before school starts for open house. The BCBA has offered to do social stories for any of the kids who need them.
    11/10/10 The Kid
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"