Special Needs
Options

What does the district have to provide?

Our district offers a before and after school program (you have to pay for).
DS1 is serviced at a private school.  The district sends him there and pays for it.  He will most likely never be serviced within the district.

His private school has a daycare but it only goes to age 5.

Does the district have to provide any type of after school care opportunity?

He couldn't attend the current program within the district without an aide.  He is nonverbal and intellectually disabled.  He doesn't understand commands, is very uncoordinated and very delayed in fine motor and gross motor.  The kids currently come in after school ends, have snack and do homework at the lunch tables (long picnic type tables) and then go outside to play or have an organized indoor game.  Each school (5 elementary) all have their own program.  There is no way DS1 could sit on a bench and eat snack unsupervised.  He couldn't go play outside because he can't run, jump or climb so the playgrounds would be very dangerous as would being unaware that kids around him are playing a game (kickball for example).  

I'm planning on going back to work when DS2 starts school next June so I'm trying to figure out the logistics of before and after school care.
To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: What does the district have to provide?

• Options
    That may depend on your district. Is an after school nanny an option?
    It is possible, but I would probably have to hire 2 people. DS2 has the same diagnosis and is nonambulatory, nonverbal, etc.

I'm not sure one person would be willing to watch both boys.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    -auntie- said:
    This is a murky area. In this situation it might make sense to contact a special education attorney. 

Under IDEA, they are only required to offer a "free and appropriate education".  

Kids who attend a school are generally offered supports to access after school activities at that school. Since they are funding a npn-public school, this may not work in your favor.

Does you state offer any respite or Therapeutic Support Service hours that could be used to cover child care without financial hardship? I know people who've done this on my side of the river.
    I really have no idea. I'm just starting to look into it.  I didn't think we would have to worry about it because DH's job hours were very accommodating before.  But, now he's working 8-6 and school is 9-3.  

The other idea is just working part time.  I'm not sure the cost of 1 or 2 nannies for before and after school will be beneficial versus me just working part time.  DH has amazing insurance for all of us so that's not a need at this time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is the after school through the school or through the community center? Ours is through the community center (but held at Each school) and is very clear that they cannot offer 1:1 support. My son could go but we would have to pay for the 1:1 on top of the program fee.
    it's actually through the public school.  the payment even has to be made to the board of ed.

i haven't asked our service coordinator yet.  I figured when we start going through all the evals for DS2 I'd ask her.
  • Options
    In my area, there are a few special needs daycares......just a thought for something to look into in your area. Also, just curious....you said that each of your children needs 1:1 care so you'd need a nanny for each one, do you have help while your husband is working? If so, is that person(s) a resource to help you figure out routine childcare options and options for all the non-routine days (I.e. sick days and school holidays)

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    In my area, there are a few special needs daycares......just a thought for something to look into in your area. Also, just curious....you said that each of your children needs 1:1 care so you'd need a nanny for each one, do you have help while your husband is working? If so, is that person(s) a resource to help you figure out routine childcare options and options for all the non-routine days (I.e. sick days and school holidays)
    the only special needs daycare is at DS1's school. And it only goes till age 5.  I could send DS2 there for a little bit, but DS1 will be 5 this year.

And, the only person who helps me is my mom. She is available for the sick days and school holidays but not everyday.  She likes to travel and go visit my nephews and niece.  She agreed to watch them occasionally or help occasionally but she doesn't want to be the sole caregiver.

The kids don't necessarily need 1:1 in a safe situation like at home.  I watch both of them by myself obviously.  However, in a situation that is geared toward typical kids they would absolutely need 1:1. They don't understand no, commands, boundaries, safety, etc.    

As for a nanny, I'm just not sure someone would be comfortable watching both of them.  Neither talks, DS2 doesn't walk, they don't feed themselves, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"