Cloth Diapering
Options

lets talk cloth wipes

What are you using?

dry or pre-moistened?

container options preferences?

solution or water?

What if I have hard water?...We do so my fear is that my container will stink if I premoisten.

Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

Re: lets talk cloth wipes

• Options
    Hyenacart.com/smjae for single ply wipes. Mine are over 4 years old and still work so well! Excellent quality and so super cheap. I prefer these thin ones to anything bulky like a Thirsties fab wipe.

Stored dry

Small dipping bowl with plain water

Once the water is all gone (usually around 48 hours after being filled) I wash it with soap and water to prevent scum buildup.

I would not pre-moisten. I gave my kiddo a staph infection at 2 weeks old from stank wipe water. It's best to get them wet right when you need them.

No clue about hard water.
  • Options

Yeah I was feeling nervous about the pre moistened thing for sure, I will probably stick with dry. Thanks for the tips @mamafantastic

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm mobile so I can't link but there are seriously 3 or 4 threads about this exact same topic from just the past week alone. If you go back a few pages you should be able to find them
    LOL, I thought this was the same thread because they happened so close together. And all the responses look alike to me whenever I see this topic posted.
  • Options
    I'm confused by your confusion.
  • Options
    Please search. Go back maybe just one page and its there. Also Google is great. Thanks

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'll just address the hard water bit. If you wash your wipes along with your diapers and you have a good wash routine, you are unlikely to encounter problems. 

I have super-hard water. I use pre-moistened wipes in an OXO wipes container.  I put in a squirt of witch hazel with a couple of drops of wipes solution (it's discontinued so I'm not going to bother telling you which brand) and 2 cu. of pre-boiled water. Then I put in my wipes. 16 GMD double-sided wipes seems to give me the right amount of moisture per wipe. Done. I've never had a problem with smells or mold or mildew or anything. I go through each batch quickly enough that we really don't have issues. And I think the witch hazel helps.

For the diaper bag I keep a few of my pre-moistened wipes in either a small wetbag or a Skip Hop wipes container that came with one of my changing pads. Probably for a NB I would carry more than a few.
  • Options
    Seconding the Circo infant washcloths. I keep mine moistened in a Charmin wet toiletpaper container (cute as hell and cheaper than an actual wipe holder...as well as it doesn't hold that much). Baby boy doesn't mind the cold wipes at all and they clean him so much better than the disposables; we kept running into yellow discoloration on his boy parts with them, none now.

I only keep 2.5 days worth in there, the solution I use it 1c hot water, 1tbs (or so) of virgin coconut oil (for the anti-bacterial properties), and a squirt of the Aveeno baby soap. Works great if I pack the Charmin container to the top.

The cloths also make it easy to accordion out by folding into quarters and alternating them in the holder. No mold issues, and has helped me get rid of a few rashes that had started from the disposables.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • Options
    We use homemade terry and flannel sided wipes. We also have some baby wash cloth used for wipes but I prefer the double sided because they're thicker.

I just use water in a spray bottle.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Am I the only one who just gets the wipe(s) wet at the sink right before changing?

LO is only 3 months old and EBF - maybe once there is solid food poop I'll need a new plan? Or not? I hope not. I love having no prep/setup needed and no worry about ickiness developing from keeping them wet.

I have too many different kinds of wipes to discuss. Had to try them to see what I'd like. Turns out I like different ones for different situations.

Another advantage of wetting on demand - no need for uniformity to fit in a container nicely.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    I know. It doesn't make sense at all. I was horrified when the pediatrician told me he had a staph infection (it was a legit staph situation and not just conjecture... they sent a culture to the lab for testing). It seems I had some sort of funky nastiness growing inside my water dish that, when transferred to his diaper area via the cloth wipes, gave him a rash with tiny white pustules. At that point, kiddo was only two weeks old and I hadn't yet realized that I couldn't just keep refilling the dipping dish when it was empty. From that point on I scrubbed with soap or replaced it altogether every 2 days. Lesson learned the hard way :(
  • Options
    Sorry for the duplicate post, I didn't come across the others. Thanks for the info. I have googled just wanted the boards preferences. I bought the circo cloths on sale for a good pile of them. I was just curious about how people wet/stored/routine etc. Thanks again.

• Options
    teenybean said:
    Sorry for the duplicate post, I didn't come across the others. Thanks for the info. I have googled just wanted the boards preferences. I bought the circo cloths on sale for a good pile of them. I was just curious about how people wet/stored/routine etc. Thanks again.
    b/c you didn't look  8-|

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Tee hee BFF. :x
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"