August 2014 Moms

Graco 4Ever All-in-One Convertible Car Seat

Anyone getting this car seat?  I like the idea of not having to buy a new car seat all the time. I just have some questions I cant seem to find so thought I would hit up this board. 

Can you tell if it needs a base for the car?  Doesn't look like it.
How do i know which Snap-N-Go its compatible with? 
What do I need to make it adapt to the Uppa Baby Vista?
Is a 28-pound car seat really heavy?   We don't have a car so I would only be using the car seat (for now) in cabs and rental cars and with the Snap-N-Go. 

Usually I just go on Buy Buy Baby's website and message with a rep, but this seat is only at Babies-R-Us and I am not registered there. 

Any input you have is greatly appreciated!

Re: Graco 4Ever All-in-One Convertible Car Seat

• I have my eye on this for when DD outgrows our infant seat. Convertable seats like these are not designed to be taken in and out of cars like an infant seat and are not used in strollers like infant seats can be. That's part of the trade off when you choose a convertible seat for use with a newborn. Most people who go with a convertible seat know that they will either baby wear or have a stroller designed to accommodate an infant (flat recline and possible snuggler) once they get to their destination. The other option is to use an infant carrier that can snap into a stroller designed to accept your carrier. Also, most infant carriers don't actually require the base, the base is just for ease of use getting the seat in and out. You can always just use the car's seat belt to restrain the infant seat, just make sure to do so properly which a car seat tech can show you. Since you mentioned cabs, you may want to check out this page from The Car Seat Lady which covers the topic rather well with suggestions. Good luck with your search! https://thecarseatlady.com/category/using-taxis/

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Not an infant car seat?? It says it is...
  • Loading the player...
  • Not an infant car seat?? It says it is...

It fits infants but isn't designed to use a base and be compatible with strollers .
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • I'm pretty sure this one is a convertible so it works for newborns and is rear facing, but it's not designed to be taken in and out of the car and lugged everywhere. It stays latched in and you take baby out.

I've always used convertibles from birth without issue.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Thanks everyone!  Purchased a Chicco KeyFit 30 instead. 

NOW...when do I use the snap-n-go vs the stroller vs the car seat in the stroller?  All so confusing to me.  Sounds like city moms use the snap-n-go more than the stroller but I am just not understanding we I need this awesome stroller (Uppa Baby Vista) then. Guess I will figure it out when she is here! 
  • dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited August 2014

Thanks everyone!  Purchased a Chicco KeyFit 30 instead. 

NOW...when do I use the snap-n-go vs the stroller vs the car seat in the stroller?  All so confusing to me.  Sounds like city moms use the snap-n-go more than the stroller but I am just not understanding we I need this awesome stroller (Uppa Baby Vista) then. Guess I will figure it out when she is here! 
    If you have the stroller adaptor you can use your car seat in the stroller. If not then you can just put baby in the stroller. A lot of people like snap n go strollers because they're smaller and lighter. We opted to skip it and plan to use our stroller (with adaptor) or baby wear. Go to a baby store and walk around to get an idea of the differences. A stroller can last years while a snap n go will only last as long as you use the infant seat (up to 9 or 12 months).

ETA: Remember to read your car seat AND vehicle manual before installing your car seat base. More then 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly in the US. You can also go to safekids.org and make an appointment with a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to have your car seat install checked. When you put your child in the seat the straps need to come from at or below his/her shoulders when rear facing. The straps need to be tight enough that you can't punch extra slack. The chest clip needs to be at armpit level. csftl.org is an excellent resource.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 

If you have the stroller adaptor you can use your car seat in the stroller. If not then you can just put baby in the stroller. A lot of people like snap n go strollers because they're smaller and lighter. We opted to skip it and plan to use our stroller (with adaptor) or baby wear. Go to a baby store and walk around to get an idea of the differences. A stroller can last years while a snap n go will only last as long as you use the infant seat (up to 9 or 12 months). ETA: Remember to read your car seat AND vehicle manual before installing your car seat base. More then 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly in the US. You can also go to safekids.org and make an appointment with a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to have your car seat install checked. When you put your child in the seat the straps need to come from at or below his/her shoulders when rear facing. The straps need to be tight enough that you can't punch extra slack. The chest clip needs to be at armpit level. csftl.org is an excellent resource.
    Thanks so much!  I think I have it all figured out now.  I am going to skip the snap-n-go for now.  Sounds like its more for someone that doesn't live in a city and may not be walking around as much as I do. So we will just put the car seat in the stroller (with the adapter). 

In typical NY fashion, the only service that will come check your car seat is a paid one (no fire house or DMV, etc that does it for free).  Since we don't have a car, we are going to have to become experts on how to install the seat ourselves when we get in a cab or rental. 

If you have the stroller adaptor you can use your car seat in the stroller. If not then you can just put baby in the stroller. A lot of people like snap n go strollers because they're smaller and lighter. We opted to skip it and plan to use our stroller (with adaptor) or baby wear. Go to a baby store and walk around to get an idea of the differences. A stroller can last years while a snap n go will only last as long as you use the infant seat (up to 9 or 12 months).

ETA: Remember to read your car seat AND vehicle manual before installing your car seat base. More then 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly in the US. You can also go to safekids.org and make an appointment with a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to have your car seat install checked. When you put your child in the seat the straps need to come from at or below his/her shoulders when rear facing. The straps need to be tight enough that you can't punch extra slack. The chest clip needs to be at armpit level. csftl.org is an excellent resource.

Thanks so much!  I think I have it all figured out now.  I am going to skip the snap-n-go for now.  Sounds like its more for someone that doesn't live in a city and may not be walking around as much as I do. So we will just put the car seat in the stroller (with the adapter). 

In typical NY fashion, the only service that will come check your car seat is a paid one (no fire house or DMV, etc that does it for free).  Since we don't have a car, we are going to have to become experts on how to install the seat ourselves when we get in a cab or rental. 

-----------
    I bet there's a CPST somewhere near you. They don't usually charge a fee. If you'll be installing / uninstalling it would be great to get confirmation that you've got it down pat. There are a ton of YouTube videos on the Keyfit install, too. You made a good seat choice as the Keyfit is known for being one of the easier to install infant seats :) You may want to consider the Chicco NextFit for a convertible as it's got the same super simple install. :-)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • You might consider just installing the car seat without the base if you're just using it in cabs. We have a Graco Snugride 30 that can be installed with or without the base. We use the bases in our cars (bc we can leave them there) but just install the car seat without the base in grandmas car (or whoever else's car the baby is in).

Yes! Def not installing a base in a cab :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"