May 2014 Moms
Options

Foremilk hindmilk imbalance, overwhelmed

I'm 99% sure we have an imbalance issue. My little is growing like a weed, he's gassy, has explosive watery poops, thinks he must eat all the time ( but for short periods only), and he seems more uncomfortable at the breast. I thought maybe a dairy intolerance, so I've been dairy free for a couple weeks with 0 improvement. I have tried only nursing him on side at a time but when he gets to the hindmilk he starts biting and pulling off. My husband said last night why don't you just pump. He has said it b4 but of course my overwhelmed self explodes at him when he says that. I have really thought about it today though and think I might give it a try. Am I making a mistake? What should I do? Help please! Sorry it's so long.

Re: Foremilk hindmilk imbalance, overwhelmed

• Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Like pp said, pumping isn't that bad.
    I've noticed Dd usually has more greenish colored poops when I nurse her and more yellowish ones when DH feeds her a pumped bottle. We try and give a pumped bottle every night especially since she starts DC in a few weeks.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Have you talked to your doctor and/or a LC?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have talked to the ped he recommended the dairy free diet, but it hasn't helped and the pulling off has gotten worse. I felt like I knew what I was doing since I'm a nurse that works in OB but I seem to second guess everything when it comes to my baby though. He  seems to snack all day long and fuss too. He is really only really happy in the morning after his night feedings, which he seems to do better (less pulling off). I think I'll try and post on the BF page too.
  • Options
    First ((hugs)) to you Mama.

I have had both an imbalance (early on due to OS and OALD) and MSPI with DD2. Block feeding worked best for the imbalance.

I'm not an expert so I hope the BF board ladies have some suggestions, but I don't think blood/mucus are related to an imbalance issue. Sounds more like a food intolerance. How long have you been dairy free? Have you gone soy free? A lot of babies with dairy intolerance can't tolerate soy either. If you've been completely dairy and soy free for a few weeks, I would consider other intolerances. I'm sure the BF board MSPI ladies can offer advice to you.

Also I will note that I've been on MSPI diet for 12 weeks and DD's overall much better, but she is nursing for shorter periods because she's more efficient (I think!?!?) and she is also easily distracted and stops to look around or look up at me. She's also started a rather painful biting and twisting motion that I think is related to slower flow then her daycare bottles.

Hang in there. Sounds like your LO is doing great despite these frustrations.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• Options
    Try block feeding for 48 hours or so, I noticed a huge improvement.

Also pumped bottles went over well also because everything was mixed.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    I was also going to suggest block feeding. It's important to empty the breast not only for the h/f balance, but to prevent things like clogged ducts and mastitis in you.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I had this issue and pumped 2 bottles a day. I checked for how his stools differed. I found that it helped me understand what was working for him. I still do a bottle or two a day of pumped milk because FREEDOM!!!
  • Options
    I've EP for 12wks now. It's not bad. Nothing to be scared of. If it could help, give it a go.
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

I'm 99% sure we have an imbalance issue. My little is growing like a weed, he's gassy, has explosive watery poops, thinks he must eat all the time ( but for short periods only), and he seems more uncomfortable at the breast. I thought maybe a dairy intolerance, so I've been dairy free for a couple weeks with 0 improvement. I have tried only nursing him on side at a time but when he gets to the hindmilk he starts biting and pulling off. My husband said last night why don't you just pump. He has said it b4 but of course my overwhelmed self explodes at him when he says that. I have really thought about it today though and think I might give it a try. Am I making a mistake? What should I do? Help please! Sorry it's so long.

You are explaining exactly what my kid did. Breastfeeding was going great then he just seemed to get pissy at the breast. The beginning of the feeding was fine when he had a strong let down but then he's start pulling at my nipple and flinging his head back. It wasn't an enjoyable experience for either of us and he was just as pissed after the feeding. DH also suggested to me to pump and I was so against it. I ended up giving in and doing that because I wanted to just give up. Honestly it was the best decision I made. Plus he's been nursing like a champ again. I mostly bottle feed during the day (sometimes I nurse if I'm lazy and don't wanna pump) and I nurse him during the MOTN feedings. He's a happier baby and now I can actually monitor how much milk he drinks. Plus he is sleeping better at night because he eats a lot during the day. I'm just happy he's still getting BM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"