High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

pre term labor...anyone have experience

Just released from hospital last night. Wednesday afternoon went in with contractions, examined, monitored, and given IV fluids. I am 22 weeks and will be 23 weeks Sunday. Any input / experiences appreciated. <3

Re: pre term labor...anyone have experience

• Options
    Did they do a cervical length measurement on you? It is a good sign if they sent you home.

I would make sure you take it easy, drink ALOT of water to make sure you stay hydrated, as I am sure they told you that dehydration can cause contractions.

I had PTL starting at 24 weeks with my son's pregnancy with contractions that they were able to stop with fluids and was on bed rest for 13 weeks until I delivered, with a few trips to L&D in between to stop contractions.

This time, I had PTL starting at 29 weeks and am again on modified bed rest for another week due to short and dilating cervix plus constant contractions,.

Good luck, just listen to your body and don't hesitate to go back if you feel lke something isn't right.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you suitern <3 good luck to you as well
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went into pre-term labor with my son and I was giving medication for the contractions and a cerclage for my cervix. I was put on bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy and ended up giving birth at 33 weeks. He's a healthy 14 year old, take it easy everything will be fine
  • Options
    pookiesprize how many weeks were you when it happened? Thank you for your response :)
  • Options
    I went into preterm labor with both of my boys.  I was given medication to stop labor and was put on bed rest till.  I had my oldest at 35 weeks and my youngest at 34.  I went on bed rest at 25 weeks. 
  • Options
    I went to L&D at 26weeks due to constant contractions.  Got IVF fluids as well as a shot of terbutaline.  Contractions stopped that night but picked up again the next day.

OB has me on Nifedipine now to manage the contractions although some days I still get up to 10 contractions/hour.  They are random, doesn't get intense over time so I stopped freaking out but still worried.  I have cervix funneling and down to 1.5cm although it has stayed that way since week 23.

Now 28w6d, my boys are doing well.  On modified bed rest but I put myself on bed rest as more than 10-15 minutes of standing up and walking around does intensify the contractions.  

Good luck to both of us!
    6 failed IUIs, 1 laparoscopy = stage 3 endometriosis
    IVF in February a success!
    EDD with twins 10/29

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had my son due to PTL of unknown reasons at 30 weeks back in 2012. I just went in for a normal 30 week appt and my discharge had picked up. I was 2cm and 100% effaced and contracting every 5 min. Was taken to labor and delivery and started on a magnesium drip for 2 days. Received my steroid injections and then sent to antepartum for hospital bedrest.

I didn't last long. He had other plans. Checked in on Tuesday. Delivered on Friday.
  • Options
    I had a PTL at 33 weeks 1 day. We went to L&D at 2am because of constant contractions that started from 7pm up to 2am. I was given IV and magnesium, and steroids for the baby. I'm so happy they were able to stop my contractions. My cervical dilation was 1.5 cm, I was discharged the following day when my cervix is stable. I stopped working since then, taking enough rest at home. I'm now 37 weeks and excited because this is my first pregnancy. Stay hydrated. If you feel something isn't right, don't hesitate to go to L&D to get checked.
  • Options
    At 32 weeks I went into L&D for what I thought was a bladder infection. Turns out I was in PTL and dilated to 2cm. I was given an IV with Mag for 48 hours, terbutaline, and 2 steroid shots in that period of time as well as they ran an fFn test which came back negative. After the 48 hours they watched me for 24 hours to ensure the contractions weren't going to come back and gave me nifedipine every 6 hours. I was sent home after the 24 hour watch and told to only come back if my contractions were intense and close together. At 33 weeks ended up back at L&D for intense contractions 10 mins apart and excruciating lower back pain. They checked my cervix and ran another fFn test and this time my test came back positive. Today I've finally reached 34 weeks, but still have intense contractions just not 10 mins apart. I was told the next time we go in to the hospital they cannot stop the contractions as they have already maxed out on all their options. I'm on strict bedrest, but I honestly feel like everything I'm doing is not stopping the contractions. I'm well hydrated, and laying on both my right and left sides.
  • Options
    At 32 weeks I went into L&D for what I thought was a bladder infection. Turns out I was in PTL and dilated to 2cm. I was given an IV with Mag for 48 hours, terbutaline, and 2 steroid shots in that period of time as well as they ran an fFn test which came back negative. After the 48 hours they watched me for 24 hours to ensure the contractions weren't going to come back and gave me nifedipine every 6 hours. I was sent home after the 24 hour watch and told to only come back if my contractions were intense and close together. At 33 weeks ended up back at L&D for intense contractions 10 mins apart and excruciating lower back pain. They checked my cervix and ran another fFn test and this time my test came back positive. Today I've finally reached 34 weeks, but still have intense contractions just not 10 mins apart. I was told the next time we go in to the hospital they cannot stop the contractions as they have already maxed out on all their options. I'm on strict bedrest, but I honestly feel like everything I'm doing is not stopping the contractions. I'm well hydrated, and laying on both my right and left sides.
       What ended up happening? I'm researching this topic because I'm currently in a similar situation. I'm not on bedrest-this all just started last week and I wonder if me and  my doc is taking it seriously enough!
  • Options
    Went into PTL last week. Contractions stopped with water and rest. I've been to the hospital twice. Dilated a cm or so. I'm 33 weeks and 2 days now. First baby and I'm 35 years old. Super freaked out and hoping to make it to 37+ weeks. Drinking water really helps... I'm up to a gallon a day. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    I'm new here. Sorry I've never intro-ed.

I'm currently in the same situation as many of you. I started having painful and regular contractions a little over a week ago. My midwife recommended I head to the hospital. After the shot of turbutaline and an IV (and about 7 hours of monitoring) I was released with a long, hard, but slightly dilated cervix at 1 cm. I was told to go out of work and take it easy.
    Last Wednesday I was having pretty bad cramping and fairly regular contractions. My midwife checked me and I was 50% effaced as dilated to 1.5-2cm. So we headed to the hospital. I was given another shot of turbutaline and two doses of procardia. I also started the steroids for lung development. After preparing for transport to another hospital with a NICU, they finally slowed and then stopped. I was able to go home late that night.
    At my appointment today, my cervical length is 3cm, which is the same as it was on Thursday, and I haven't dilated more. Baby looks good and I have plenty of fluid. They've checked for every possible infection and nothing. Right now I'm on "take it easy" orders.

I'm 28w4d and feeling optimistic today. But honestly, it's just all overwhelming. Google is confusing! And I still have frequent contractions that freak me out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"