Single Parents
Options

Ain't it a bitch......WWYD

...how there is always a catch or something that makes a job less awesome than you thought?

So I am looking at nannying again since it's just easier for me to get hired and I don't have to worry about child care. Anyway, a mom of 2 elementary aged kids contacted me and I interviewed with her today. Love the mom, seems like a great fam. Single mom also. The situation is super ideal in the fact E & I would have basically the whole day to ourselves. I'd get there at 8, drop the kids off at school at 9, and then go pick them up at 3. I have to cook and run errands for the mom obviously, but I like that this gives me a break from all the kids and maybe E & I can do classes and such during the day. The only drawback to this position is their lack of space. Sounds odd I know but they live in a 2 br apartment until they buy a house, probably in a year. I could probably do without E's portable swing but her Pack & Play is a must for naps. I was hoping I could just break it down on the weekends but the mom would like me to break it down DAILY. This may sound petty but I can imagine this being a massive pain in the ass, plus I at least need my rubbermaid drawer organizer thing to keep all her bibs, toys, blankets, diapers, extra clothes, wipes, etc in and I'm not sure they'd even have room for that :( I am sure I could find a way to make it work and this probably sounds lame but I can just imagine lugging all this crap every single day and folding the thing up and down every single day. Also, apartment would not be baby proofed.

I also have a small possibility of watching 2 babies in my apartment. It would be split, so 1 child for 3 days and another child for the other 2. Downside is I'd have to invest in some things for my apt like gating off my dining room and making it into a play area. Also not sure if the pay would be on par. Upside is I'd be home and I know at least one of the kids is exact age as Emmalynn. I also have double of nearly everything from nannying, so I'd have plenty for both kids including two places to nap.

WWYD?

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014

Re: Ain't it a bitch......WWYD

• Options
    For the first job I think it's perfectly reasonable to not want a PNP sitting up all week in the middle of a two bedroom apartment. I know when I lived in one when A was born and we had her PNP up it was so crowded. Otherwise that sounds like a great arrangement.

For the other one, you're going to need to baby proof soon anyway so this would just be a head start!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Options
    You are very lucky to have opportunities to have your own child with you while earning money. You are being paid to watch other people's kids and are lucky they allow you to bring all that stuff for your own child. I wouldn't want someone else's stuff around MY home to trip over, especially if i was trying to make it work sardined into a 2 bedroom apartment with my 2 kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both sound like great opprotunities with imagined troubles.

It isnt hard or a hassle to set up a pnp, trust me i do it often enough. Condense down to the diaper bag e is at an age where you really dont need everything and the kitchen sink.

Also as pp pointed out soon youll have to baby proof for e, theres nothing wrong with starting now. And its an investment. And no neccesarily an expensive one.
  • Options
    Thanks girls. I am glad I have had extensive years of experience with kids so when I cant get a job, I can always get a nanny job with ease. Now that I have E, it is really great. Not to mention that for whatever reason, English speaking nannies are a hot commodity up here. I'm so glad I get to "stay home" with her during this time...for a lot of reasons.

I haven't heard back from either, so that's a little concerning, but if the mom with the 2BR offers me the position, I will take it.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
  • Options
    I say the one out of your house. Being stuck in the house all day with 2 little ones is very hard in my opinion.
  • Options
    Well I'm back to square one. Neither is going to work out. The out of home said she needed someone now and I'm still nannying until September. The other is only 2 days now bc the other mom as part of the share found a nanny. FML. Can't live off 2 days of work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"