May 2014 Moms

Anyone dream feeding?

I did a search but nothing much came up on old threads from here. I haven't been dream feeding but I'm wondering if other moms are doing it and having success? Currently ds eats and goes done around 9 and wakes up around 530 to eat. Then he will go down for an hour and he's up for the day. I'd love to get him to sleep through til 7 and was thinking maybe try a dream feed but I don't know if I should mess with a good thing lol and if it actually works. Any insights ladies on your experiences with dream feeding?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone dream feeding?

• ns1ns1 member
    edited August 2014
    I don't with this one but did with DD. She was an awesome sleeper anyway but I would always do a dream feed before I went to bed. I don't really know if it helped as she was an awesome sleeper like I said, but it didn't seem to hurt. It's pretty amazing that they can sleep through a feed... but DS is such a horrible sleeper (and it doesn't seem to be related to eating) I'm terrified to go near him if he's actually sleeping.
    So... not a lot of help. .. I'd just say it's with a try.

Eta: however. .. unfortunately a wake time anytime after 5 is kind of standard for babies.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tried a week of dream feeding and it made no difference. DS is on a similar sleep pattern as OP and when I tried feeding him at 11 before I went to bed he still woke up between 4.30-6.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! As a FTM I just don't know what to expect! I find if we put him down later he gets up earlier and if earlier he gets up earlier too lol seems like 9 pm is his sweet spot!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lild09 said:
    Thanks ladies! As a FTM I just don't know what to expect! I find if we put him down later he gets up earlier and if earlier he gets up earlier too lol seems like 9 pm is his sweet spot!

I think we may have the same child! No matter what time we start the bedtime routine he will not go to sleep properly until 9. We usually start at 7 and he snoozes from 8-9 but then wakes up for a final feed and will then go flat out until morning. Yesterday we tried putting him down eralier as he refused to take his late afternoon nap and was screaming tired, he still wouldn't go down until 9 - 4.5 hours without sleeping!
  • Ds has gone to bed at 9 since day 1 really. He had a couple weeks of close to 11 til I readjusted his nap schedule and now we are back to 9. Then he's up around 830 for the day.

He dream feeds at night naturally. Eats and passes out. I try to get him though before he cries and really wakes up. I usuallt wait for a little cry out or grunt. But I have no idea how he dream feeds naturally.
  • DS goes down around 7 and we get him up around 10 to eat. He wakes up a bit when we change his diaper and then eats half asleep. He usually falls asleep by the time he finishes. He'll go back down around 11 and sleep until 7ish. If we don't wake him, he wakes up around 4. And it's so much easier to feed him when he's half asleep than when he wakes up crying.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • JennyinheavenJennyinheaven member
    edited August 2014
    I did dream feed before I was able to get her to sleep through the night, I used to get up at midnight and stick a bottle in her mouth before she woke up and she would eat and keep sleeping instead of waiting till she woke up crying from hunger. But now at three and a half months, she will sleep from 11 to 6 ish, Have a bottle and go back down till 9 a.m. So I don't really feel the need to do it anymore
  • I was talking to DH about this the other day. DD will go down between 9-10 and has slept until 7 several times. She will then eat and go back down until 10ish. However, she usually starts squeaking and moving between 2 and 5. I have picked her up and fed her but her eyes never open and she goes right back down. If I don't feed her she will eventually fall back asleep but it takes a long time. (While I stare at her the whole time) I guess she could be a natural dream feeder. She loves her sleep! (Just like her momma) I'm not sure the best way to do it. I've been feeding during that time bc now that we started DC I don't feel she eats enough.
  • I do. DD is currently going to bed around 730/8 she will get up on her own around 4/430 and back to bed but my wake time is 5/530 so it really sucks when she wakes me an hour before i have to get up. So im selfish and dream feed at 230 change diaper then her daddy wakes her at 615.

On the weekends i dont dream feed tho only during the work week. I figured that way when and iff she starts sleeping longer stretches i will know from the weekends and drop the dream feed.

Honestly i think it works great for us bc if i don't dream feed she wakes up unhappy at 4and then again at 8. With dream feeding she doesnt have to get upset and then when we wake her at 6 she is smiling from ear to ear :)
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • So it's still debatable if I should try it lol!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I tried it and it made no difference in his sleep-wake patterns through the night. No harm in trying and then quitting if it's not a success.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"