High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Seizures

So I have had Epilepsy for just over 10 years. I am a traumatic brain injury survivor in 2002.  The biggest impact to my head, occurred in the left temporal area.  The biggest problem I have from my injury, is seizures.  I had 5 in 2004, all Grand Mals/Tonic Clonic (which are the most severe).  Which was when my actual diagnosis of Epilepsy occurred.  Over the years I have had many Simple Partial and Complex Partial Seizures.  I am still allowed to drive, and still work, full time (I'm an Occupational Therapist). 

I started feeling "off" last week.  More groggy, run down, and just "not right". I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest.  I could easily get hot flashes.  It was impossible to sleep at night b/c I would literally wake up w/ what I call my "rushes" (Simple Partial Seizures).  I checked and re-checked my blood pressure daily, several times a day.  Always normal.  I read up on pre-clampsia and eclampsia (seizures occur during pregnancy).  I did not have any of those.  I talked to the baby doctor, and he said it was most likely just stress and worry, as I am pregnant with my first.  He specializes in high risk pregnancy.  But he did tell me I needed to get an appointment with my Neurologist as soon as I could, to inform him.  I saw him yesterday.  He said I am in fact most likely having seizures. 

He said that seizure medicine tends to taper off around 20-24 weeks when pregnant.  (I was 25 weeks on Sunday).  It does not work as effectively.  I am on Keppra, was on 2000mg 2x a day.  He raised me to Keppra 2250 mg 2x a day.  It's only been 24hrs since this, so I don't feel "normal" yet.  I still feel off.  But I was able to almost sleep the entire night without waking up!  He is sending me for blood work at the beginning of next week (to see where my levels are with the higher dose of med) and then possibly an EEG. 

I get ultrasounds at every visit, and little man looks good and healthy.  Which is relieving to me.  I have 15ish more weeks to go before he gets here (be it if nothing goes wrong).  I am a nervous wreck!  Both for the baby, and myself.  I want us both to get through this and both be fine and healthy.  The Dr. did say that I could have a natural birth.  No need for csection (unless necessary).  But, he said, a crash cart and Ativan needs to be on hand when I deliver (which scared the CRAP out of me).  Unless anything else happens, I go back to see him at the end of October.  My EDD is November 16. 

Any ladies out there have epilepsy?  How did you do/are you doing while pregnant?  Anything else I should be concerned about or ask questions?  I want all the info I can get!

Re: Seizures

• Options
    Lurking* I have epilepsy left lobe generalized! complex partial. I take lamictal and keppra. When your pg your seizure meds drop dramatically. Some women have to take 4-5 x's their normal dose. I had ds he had no problems. You will probably have to have your med level checked often. I had 10-20 seizures a day until these meds and vagus nerve stimulator put in. Now I do great and am a mommy! Good luck!
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    Yep.  I have my level checked next week and possibly an EEG.  What helps?  I work in the hospital where I see my Neurologist.  So if all else fails, I can hunt him down or just go to the office!  What worries me the most, other than seizures currently, are the labor part.  I want us both to come out of this happy and healthy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's been almost a week now with the upped dose of meds, and I feel a lot better!  I have an EEG on Thursday.  I had labs done yesterday, to check my levels and make sure they are within normal range.  I know he's a GREAT Neurologist, very well known in this state.  I just have to keep reminding myself that and try to keep my stress level down!
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2004. I've been on Keppra since probably 2005. My seizures are very well controlled. I haven't had a seizure since 2008 and it was due to the doctor discontinuing my medicine (he thought I had grown out of it). Anyway, I'm on my 3rd pregnancy. I've never had to take extra meds while pregnant either. My neurologist actually asked if I wanted to lower them for the safety of the baby. I have never had a seizure while pregnant. I delivered both of my previous boys vaginally. The only complication was a post partum hemorrhage, which I believe to be due to a long labor. 
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• Options
    I got the results back from my labs I had taken, to check my Keppra levels.  Range is supposed to be 12-47mL.  I am 10mL.  So still below the normal level.  Whereas I feel a lot better, after my meds were upped the dose, it is still not within the normal range.  Which obviously isn't good!  I emailed the Dr. and will be calling tomorrow.  Many worries! 

• Options
    i have had epilepsy since i was 3. i am almost 35 weeks pregnant now and also experienced a LOT of seizures in my first trimester (all grand mals) and then haven't had any since march. My med levels are starting to drop again though and we are having to increase one of medications (depakote) a week ago. so keep following up with the neurologist and keep in good spirits!
  • Options
    I got a call back today.  My neurologist wants my levels checked at every visit with my OB.  (I start my 2 week appts next Monday).  And then a copy sent to my Neurologist.  He said he will adjust my meds based on the findings.  (Both Dr's work in same hospital).

I feel fine!  It just irks me that my levels are still not within normal range. 

Wow, grand mals.  I didn't start feeling anything "different" until about 21 weeks.  I have simple and complex often.  The med levels were adjusted and I feel fine now.  But still aren't in normal range, which has me worried!

Thanks gal! =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"