Two Under 2

Preparing for new LO / books

Hello! I lurk on this board occasionally, but my LO will be 26 months when my second is born, so I don't "officially" belong here. I hope you ladies don't mind if I pick your brains a little bit anyways. 

I'm kind of concerned on the logistics of how to take care of two little guys, especially ones that are so close together in age. I am the kind of person who likes to feel at least a little bit prepared, and I'd love to start to figure out how that's going to work before my second is born. Do you have any recommended websites or books? Or just general recommendations? (I'm concerned about things like: What do you do when they both seem to need you at the same time? How do you keep an eye on the toddler while nursing the baby? How do you make sure that you're giving enough attention and development opportunities to the toddler and giving enough TLC to the baby? How the heck do you manage opposing nap schedules and ever get out of the house?)

Re: Preparing for new LO / books

• A lot of this is going to be trial and error.  There are going to be days where things are difficult and both kids are going to need you and you will have to let one cry.  That's just the way it is.  

I worked hard to get my kids on the same nap schedule from the get go.  I tried every day to get DS to nap in the afternoon when DD was (19.5 mos apart) and went from there.  I scheduled his other sleep around that nap.  

My MIL was working part time when DS was born so she would come over and take DD somewhere (the park, out to lunch) to give DD some special time and that helped.  I also tried to spend as much of DS's early morning nap playing with DD.  

I wore DS a lot at the beginning.  He'd sleep in the moby and even though I couldn't move around tons I was still better off than holding him.  As far as nursing I could never nurse in the moby but it's worth a shot.  We unfortunately did a lot of TV, coloring and books and activities that can get old rather quickly.  

Story time at the library was probably the easiest way to get out of the house.  Accept help and realize your house is going to get dirty and that's all you can do.  Good luck!
  • I also have a toddler (17 mos) and I;m expecting baby #2 in Nov.
    This article helped calm my nerves quite a bit!
    https://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/dos-and-donts-of-bringing-home-baby-20

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Loading the player...
  • A little trick that I found that helps me is to have a safe place to put your newborn in each room. Often times I need to do something using both hands so I have cribs in the their bedroom, a rnp in my bedroom, a crib in the family room, bounced seat in the kitchen, swing in the dining room, a car seat near the door entrance, etc. this way I can quickly put down LO if needed. I'm still searching for a good carrier but this helps now.
  • @blushingbride_08, thanks for the tip. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"