Infertility Veterans

Insurance coding question

I’m not sure why I did not check into this with my first IVF, I guess it was because I knew that IF benefits were not covered, so I never checked into it. Anyway I called my insurance yesterday, what I learned is that all injectable medications fall in the category of “medical benefits.” They have a list of meds they just do not cover (i.e. Stims, clomid, hcg, etc); essentially the meds that are only used for fertility treatments. PIO is covered and some others are covered under medical because they can be used for other things that are not related to fertility treatments. The catch is they have to be coded for something that is not related to fertility treatments. I also have to change the pharmacy that I can use to one that is “in network” or the meds will not be covered at all. Has anyone else ever come across this? If so, do you know how your RE coded the meds? I was thinking RPL, that being said I’m guessing I do not fall in this category since I have only had two c/p. Do c/p's count as a loss?
::: Married June 2003:::
TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
IVF# 4= c/p
***CCRM ODWU***
Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
***New RE***
DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
imageimage image 

Re: Insurance coding question

• I've always had the pharmacy run my prescriptions through insurance and they picked up things like antibiotics and folic acid. For my FET they picked up my estradiol as well. I never had to have my prescriptions coded a different way though.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• mm29mm29 member
    @IFinTN, I think I may ask to have pio RX filled at my regular pharmacy.  I asked what pharmacies were "in network" and the listed "Walgreens specialty pharm." so I may have them attempt to send the RX there.  I hate that we have to deal with this crap on top of evertying else!! 
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 

imageimage image 
  • Loading the player...
  • My insurance says injectibles for fertility are covered with prior authorization, but when I called they said that they weren't so I'm in limbo too. As far as coding, you could just call he insurance and try to get an answer from them on which circumstances they would be covered... They probably won't be real helpful though..
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • mm29mm29 member
    J&D2007 said:
    My insurance says injectibles for fertility are covered with prior authorization, but when I called they said that they weren't so I'm in limbo too. As far as coding, you could just call he insurance and try to get an answer from them on which circumstances they would be covered... They probably won't be real helpful though..

I called them, they were not helpful, which is why I asked.  The person I spoke with indicated she didn't know the codes or what diagnosis would be approved so it sounds like a guessing game. 
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    ***New RE***

imageimage image 
  • Meds don't get coded, per se. If a doctor writes you a script and you take it to the pharmacy, the tech runs the drug code through the system to see if your insurance will pay or not. Some plans are set up to be more stringent than others and less expensive meds that are multi purpose (Vivelle, Femara, PIO, etc) will be filled by insurance without issue, so you should always try.

J&D2007 call your insurance back and ask them to look for a rider on the plan. It may be hard to find. Then, if you have coverage for infertility meds, call your RE and ask them to request pre-authorization for the meds. Once they have that, they need to fax over the prescriptions *with* the pre-auth forms to the pharmacy. Then follow up with the pharmacy and see if the meds will be covered. It's a lot of work. Don't be afraid to make friends with the insurance/finance people at your REs office, they sometimes have good insight into how to get things pushed through.
    *** TW ***
    2013: BFP #1 - M/C 3/13
    2014: IVF #1-4 = BFFN
    2015: Dance break = got healthy
    7/2016: IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"