High-Risk Pregnancy

Semi high risk?

I had my first OB appointment at 13 weeks, and the OB said I am semi high risk because of my High Blood pressure and Hypothyroid (both were diagnosed well before the BFP). I have more health problems, see siggy. Anyway, that appointment was a horrible experience (she didn't do blood work for a baseline thyroid levels, among other things I won't get into). So, I'm seeing a new OB next week, and wondering what I should say to the new OB about my health issues, and if I'm really high risk? I know you aren't doctors, just looking to get any advice or see what you went through to get diagnosed as high risk.
**All welcome**
 Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
Married Dec. 2007
10/2013 Clomid, bfn
10/2013 HSG, all clear
11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Semi high risk?

• The OB might have just been trying not to scare you too much with the whole "high risk" label.  I know my OB basically told me that despite falling in to the high risk category thanks to the diabetes and hypothyroid, so long as everything is stable it shouldn't affect my pregnancy too much.

Of course that still means I'm in for extra appointments and blood work.  I have no clue why your OB would not be testing you thyorid level though!  Before even sending me for my blood work my GP automatically doubled my Synthyroid dosage as the need tends to go up in pregnancy.  She then sent me for my blood work and told me to get in to my endo right away as well as referred me to my OB.

Have you seen your endo since you BFP?  I know mine has been the one stick handling my thyroid rather than my OB.  My OB is watching all the test results though and has added some extra blood work on top of what the other doctors have ordered (I'm seeing 7 doctors right now... if you count my dentist that is :P )

Congrats and good luck!

• Thank you for the help. I last had my thyroid checked on July 9th by my RE, but they didn't do a full panel of blood work. I don't have an endocrinologist, previously my gyn who specializes in thyroid treated my hypothyroid. And, the reason I'm switching OB offices is because she wasn't concerned or do any blood work at my first appointment there. I'm looking forward to seeing a new OB to see how they handle my thyroid. 
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first appointment today and my OB said I am high risk due to high blood pressure and thyroid issue (which I just found out today I have) . At 20 weeks I'll be switched to a fetal medicine doctor due to my high risk. I was put on 200mg labetalol twice a day and 100mg of some thyroid medicine.
  • Take the high risk label! Its more testing and more frequent visits but it can also prevent problems before they happen! I questioned it throughout my pregnancy because I had sparatic high blood pressure, nothing that needed medication but I ended up being severely pre-eclamptic. The close monitoring is fantastic (pain in the butt going through it but you'll be happy for it after the fact).

It sounds like your mommy instincts are in high gear. If you think a test should be done, force it. I'd make them prove it wasn't needed instead of not having it, disagreeing and worrying. The stress of worrying could hurt the baby more than the blood draw or whatever it is to prove you wrong. I also wouldn't keep a doctor that doesn't listen to my concerns, but that might be just me.

Congrats and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"