Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty HELP!

My DD is 27 months...I have been introducing the potty since 18 months or so. I have her potty seat in the bathroom and always explain to her what it is for. When I go to the bathroom I will encourage her to sit on her potty. We have read books about using the potty as well as buying big girl underwear. She has no interest at all in using the potty. Never once have I been able to get her to sit on there without a diaper for more than  a few seconds. She has never once peed on the potty. I don't want to push the issue to make her scared or mad about it. I just thought that by now she would be progressing. Any thoughts, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! I feel at such a lost :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty HELP!

• She's not ready.  What's the rush?  If I were you I would back off and let her take the lead.  She might surprise you and take the initiative on her own.  But she might just not be interested at all yet.  That's okay.  27 mos is young.  

My DS is almost 23 mos and we've been talking the potty to him for the last month or so.  We don't make him sit there but he can if he wants.  He usually sits up there a couple times per day but has only peed once.  But he likes to sit up there to be like his big sister.  I don't think he connects it to peeing or responsibility yet.  
  • I'm not in a rush. I just wanted to make sure it was normal for no interest at all. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD was the same way, literally she would sit for like 2.5 seconds and tell me her "butt no working mama!" and run off. I just kept the potty chair out in the living room visible to her. Right at 30 months she started to actually sit on it on her own but not use it. That weekend we did no diaper or underwear and gave her so much liquids lol! She got usied to the feeling of having to go potty the first day. We had a couple accidents but day 2 we only had 1. Day 3 I put her in underwear and she had no accidents! That was a month ago, she still has accidents here and there but usually it is because she is too busy playing to stop and go potty.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm not in a rush. I just wanted to make sure it was normal for no interest at all. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
    Totally normal.  Average age for potty training is 3.5.  And if you near that 3.5 age, remember that an average means there are are children below that age as well as children above that age.  If everyone was potty trained by 27 months, even a random outlier wouldn't move the average up to 40 months.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter will be 3 in December and has zero interest. Honestly- i could care less. My 5 year old had 2 accidents in her whole life because we waited until she was ready- closer to 3.
  • My DD was just like yours at that age. Right at 30 months (about 2 weeks ago) she started asking to wear her big girl panties & showing so much more interest in using the potty. I wouldn't push her until she's more interested. It will happen. :)
    Totally normal.  Average age for potty training is 3.5.  And if you near that 3.5 age, remember that an average means there are are children below that age as well as children above that age.  If everyone was potty trained by 27 months, even a random outlier wouldn't move the average up to 40 months.
    Where did you get that statistic?

Most daycares require 3 year olds to be potty trained for the 3-4 year old class.  And in other countries, the average age is much closer to 2.
    It was in the AAP handout on potty training we got from our pediatrician at the 2 year visit.  Are you not with Sharp?  I believe it's based on the initial Taubman research out of the University of Pennsylvania which found 22% of children were potty trained by 2.5, 60% by 3, and 88% by 3.5.  Although older research (1997) the numerous more recent studies by Blum and Associates seem to corroborate the data finding that 61% of children are potty trained by 3 years, and 98% are potty trained by 4 years.  Suggesting that almost 40% of children are not potty trained by 3.  The Blum studies are also interesting because they have found that starting potty training early actually increases the time spent potty training and starting potty training before 27 months actually has no benefit to waiting until after because of the psychology and motor skills that develop after that time making the entire process shorter and the child more capable.

And your daycare statistic is way off.  I'm in San Diego too and most preschools in the area do not require potty training for 3 year olds.  Some do, but "most" is incorrect.  My son has been in 2 preschools here and neither require potty training for the 3 year old class. In fact, 70% of my son's current class are over 3 and not potty trained.  In his old class, there was only one 3 year old who was potty trained.  The rest were not.  My son is the youngest in my mom's group and of the other 5 three year olds, all who go to different preschools, only one had to be potty trained by age 3. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Chill. The kid will pee on the potty when she is ready. DD pissed all over my couch one day and I said I was done with it. The next day she figured it out HERSELF. Just relax with the whole thing.
    Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • I am chill.... As I said I am in no hurry. It doesn't bother me that she isn't using the potty. I am not pushing the issue one bit. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. I am very relaxed, thanks for your thoughts.
  • It sounds like you haven't actually tried potty training at all.  Having a potty and teaching your LO how and when to use it are entirely different things.
    Yup. I don't think its too early to try though, my son was potty trained by 2.5 and it was pretty easy. Sure, he had some accidents in the beginning from 2 to 2.5, but I didn't want to wait until 3 or later just to avoid accidents. Accidents are a part of life in this house, its how you learn. Plus, I feel important lessons are learned with how to deal with accidents on my child's part. Anyway, parenting theories aside, Just introducing her to the potty won't do much, try the naked day like theresa suggested. If it works, great, if not, table it and come back later. FWIW, in my neck of the woods most kids are potty trained by 3 because of preschool, most require PT to be in actual preschool vs a "childs day out" program. The only one that doesn't require PT are the co-ops that parents are there to change diapers.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"