Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Crying baby. Tried everything.

Hi mommies. I'm a FTM and have a very fussy baby. She is 1 week and it seems if she isn't on the breast (ebf) she is crying. She seems to settle down more for DH though. Maybe because they say they smell mommies milk? She won't really nap during the day so I know she is over tired. We have tried naps swaddled. Un swaddled. In the crib. Swing. Bouncy chair. The last 2 days she has napped for maybe 1hr max. I need ideas. I'm stressing. Too young for colic??
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Crying baby. Tried everything.

• flclflcl member
    PPs gave good advice.  When LO was that young, I felt all I did was BF him all day long.  He slept the best on me so I found myself placing anything and everything I would need around the couch within arms reach.  Feed on demand (it'll help build your supply), change diapers when needed, and cuddle, cuddle, cuddle!  Remember it's all about survival these first few weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • She might be uncomfortable with gas in her body. How well is she burping and how consistently? Its very uncomfy for babies who have gas and a good burp after every single feed can eliminate it. My DD battled this.
  • Kimbus22 said:

Will she sleep on you during the day?  Neither of my kids would nap anywhere but on me during the day that young.

I have not tried her napping on me yet! Didn't think of that. Definately will try!
  • Erin0303 said:

She might be uncomfortable with gas in her body. How well is she burping and how consistently? Its very uncomfy for babies who have gas and a good burp after every single feed can eliminate it. My DD battled this.

She seems to burp pretty well after she eats. And farts like a man. Lol. Maybe gas drops are worth a try too?
  • Thanks ladies! I have a few things to try now! Also may try supplement with formula a bit as I'm wondering if my supply is not yet fully established!
  • Supplementing will only hurt your supply, I wouldn't recommend it if you were hoping to EBF. By not feeding your baby the boobie when she's hungry you're telling your body you don't need that milk.

Really when you're a FTM it's all about trial and error. The happiest baby on the block was/is extremely helpful for me. We're 2 months now and LO will only sleep when i wear him in the moby during the day. Good luck!!

:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the PP. If you supplement now you will sabotage the work your baby and body are doing to increase your milk supply. Readd about growth spurts too as those are coming up for you. When In doubt, keep breastfeeding! All this, IF you chose to exclusively breastfeed. Check out the breastfeeding board for more tips and Kellymom.com.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • jmcdyer said:
    I agree with the PP. If you supplement now you will sabotage the work your baby and body are doing to increase your milk supply. Readd about growth spurts too as those are coming up for you. When In doubt, keep breastfeeding! All this, IF you chose to exclusively breastfeed. Check out the breastfeeding board for more tips and Kellymom.com.
    this. Check with your pediatrician before supplementing. Its so early so you want to make sure you don't sabotage yourself. Keep at it, and some babies are just criers! My first was… this DD who is a week, not so much.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I pumped and supplemented a feeding. I pumped about what she ate so I'm guessing she's still learning the sucking thing! It's been a better day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"