Preemies
Options

36 weeker-iugr

I had my little one on Friday. She ended up weighing 3 lbs 7 ozs. I was induced due pre eclampsia and on her growth scan she was small (4 lbs 5 ozs was the estimate). When she came she had the cord wrapped around her neck twice. Anyway i went into maternal fetal medicine for a basic growth scan and am walking out tomorrow not pregnant and my baby staying in the nicu. I know she's not exactly a preemie, but is it OK if I stick around?

I also have some questions- I am being released from the hospital and don't have a pump and my insurance won't approve one for at least 7 days from now, what can I do in the mean time? Also the car seat we have i believe isn't going to work (it's a graco classic connect - the model before the click connects) are there recommendations of car seats for her?

Thanks
IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: 36 weeker-iugr

• Options
    So scary! Glad your LO is okay! The hospital I delivered at rented out hospital-grade pumps for free to moms with NICU babies. If you qualify for WIC, I believe they also rent them out. Ask your nurses or hospital social worker, mine were a wealth of knowledge for things like that. As for car seats, I have the Chicco Keyfit 30, which is rated for babies as little as 4 lbs.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, but sorry it was a scary experience and that you're facing some NICU time. With regards to the pump, our hospital rented pumps, but also I've seen that some Babies R Us stores rent the hospital grade Medela pumps. My SIL rented a hospital grade pump from a medical supply store, which is something else you could look into. I agree with PP about the Chicco KeyFit 30. That's the same seat we had. Our DD was 3 lbs 11oz at birth and was released at 4lbs 10oz. Check the manual on your seat though to see if it is approved for 4 pounders. Is your DD on any breathing assistance or is she just a feeder and a grower? Wishing you a short and uneventful NICU stay.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KTZ17‌ she's a feeder and grower but she's still in an incubator, though, last i heard they no longer required the heater and she wrapped in a blanket and has a onsie on. They took her iv out yesterday since her blood sugar is good.

I'll have to take a look and see about how low the car seat is rated for and I'll check out babies r us. The cost is what is holding us back from renting from our hospital :(
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    You could just do a one month rental until you get the pump through your insurance. Our hospital charges I think $80/month for the pump rental. You also might try calling your insurance and telling them the circumstances, that you have a preemie in the NICU, and see if they have any way of getting the pump to you sooner. I'm not sure exactly how it works because my insurance for some idiotic reason does not cover pumps, but do they send you one or do you buy the one they authorize and then they reimburse you? Could you buy the one they would be sending you and then when you get the one they send you put it in the packaging of the one you bought and return it? Sounds shady, but you need a pump!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    My hospital provided one as long as dd was in the nicu,
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree I need a pump. The way my insurance works is i submit a form to a company and they process it and ship the pump out within 7-10 days. I submitted the form 2 months ago but since I was due aug 29th they wouldn'tprocess Iit till 30 days out.II'm attempting to get ahold of any medical supply company but of coarse sat and Sun they are all closed. I'm gunna check the store for a pump :/
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    You're story sounds like mine. Went in for a routine NST and I ended up with a section. My babies were 2lbs9oz ans 3lbs7oz. They were in the hospital scn for 30 days as feeders/growers. I know hospitals tend to rent out pumps. And while I was in the hospital I could use theirs (bought my own flanges and such)but they only had 2 so it was only if no one else needed it.

• Options
    So scary! Glad your LO is okay! The hospital I delivered at rented out hospital-grade pumps for free to moms with NICU babies. If you qualify for WIC, I believe they also rent them out. Ask your nurses or hospital social worker, mine were a wealth of knowledge for things like that. As for car seats, I have the Chicco Keyfit 30, which is rated for babies as little as 4 lbs.
    WSS. Congrats on the birth of your baby! Welcome to the board.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    So glad you got a pump. I had a pump in my postpartum room for use while there and then one in my son's room and they made sure I went home upon MY discharge with one. 
    My birth was kind of like yours I had some issues but went in for a "routine" BPP and had low fluid reverse cord flow and had a baby that was 2 lbs 15 oz when a week before they had estimated 3 lbs 10 oz! Also had the cord around his neck twice. 
    We have the Eddie Bauer Quadtrek travel system and it's for babies 4 lbs+ the carseat eval guy said it was a good pick. My son came home yesterday at 3 lbs 10 oz in it, my hospital also told me if he failed in that seat they'd give me a rental car bed until he passed in his own seat. 
  • Options
    JustCricketJustCricket member
    edited August 2014
    Another IUGR here. I too got a pump from the hospital until my insurance pump came in. I'm still hanging on to it though since it's hospital grade and works really well! I went in for my 2x weekly bpp/nst and failed and her amniotic fluid was low so the doc was like "hey we're having this baby today". We've been at the hospital for about 2w now and hopefully coming home this week. She's at 3lb9oz now (born at 3lb2oz and 37w).

As for the carseat, we have the britax b-safe it's good for infants 4+lbs. I'm not sure what's going to happen if she fails her test when she gets released, but I think the staff was saying something about a local company that rents out the car bed.

@hilee18 they were okay with him coming home in a seat even if he wasn't within the seat weight standards? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    @justcricket Your story is so much like mine! Same low fluid and having him today. Yes they allowed him to come home at 3 lbs 10 oz in his own carseat, per the carseat evaluator recommendation we rolled up receiving blankets on either side of him for support. He made a point of saying that it's only because he's a preemie we do that. He's now 5.5 lbs and we're starting to get to the point where he only kind of needs the blankets but he's still so skinny he looks kind of tiny in the carseat. 
  • Options
    Hilee18 said:
    @justcricket Your story is so much like mine! Same low fluid and having him today. Yes they allowed him to come home at 3 lbs 10 oz in his own carseat, per the carseat evaluator recommendation we rolled up receiving blankets on either side of him for support. He made a point of saying that it's only because he's a preemie we do that. He's now 5.5 lbs and we're starting to get to the point where he only kind of needs the blankets but he's still so skinny he looks kind of tiny in the carseat. 
    oh wow! that's awesome! They told us to bring our carseat in tomorrow... and I was skeptical because I thought she had to be 4lbs! lol I'm wondering if the ped will release her earlier than I was anticipating now. Are you still pumping? Have you tried to go back to breastfeeding? Yesterday I tried a bit of breastfeeding and we failed miserably :( I was kind of hoping she'd be back to nursing before we bring her home. Or at least some nursing and some bottle feeds. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    Hilee18 said:
    oh wow! that's awesome! They told us to bring our carseat in tomorrow... and I was skeptical because I thought she had to be 4lbs! lol I'm wondering if the ped will release her earlier than I was anticipating now. Are you still pumping? Have you tried to go back to breastfeeding? Yesterday I tried a bit of breastfeeding and we failed miserably :( I was kind of hoping she'd be back to nursing before we bring her home. Or at least some nursing and some bottle feeds. 
    I stopped pumping around 2 weeks when he came home. I was getting maybe 2 oz a day and was pumping constantly it wasn't worth the depression and stress it was causing we decided. We never got the hang of nursing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"