December 2011 Moms
Options

When Mom is down - and you have no backup..

In the interest of bringing the board back to life for a bit... 

Background: Last week Friday I had sinus surgery and got my broken nose fixed (this has been YEARS in the making and because we met the deductible for the year it made sense to get it fixed now)...  I haven't sprung back like the kids do or even DH (maybe it's because I haven't had any R&R time since I was discharged from the hospital and we REALLY didn't have the pain control thing worked out either so it was a rough first week)...  Had DH told me about some work drama he is dealing with before my surgery, I would have taken the kids and gone down to visit my family for the week where I wouldn't have had to worry about a thing nor be "on" as Mom 24/7 attending to the kids' needs...  Today DH left the kids here with me solo.  I made breakfast and it COMPLETELY put me flat on my back (Thankfully DS was tired after having woken up at 4AM - of course DH didn't budge so guess who got woken up at 4AM to SCREAMING - so he laid down with me and slept), it's not the pain at this point as I don't have any energy rebounded yet (I'm sleeping in the recliner to keep my head elevated which for me I don't get quality sleep doing).. 

My family is 4 hours each way, but if they were closer, they're SUPER helpful when it comes to kids, but it's not as though they could take off and come up here for a week...  DH's family is 10minutes but they're less than helpful when it comes to all things kids..  MIL is really in her own world and she's self-absorbed in her music (she writes music) instead of the grand-kids at this point.  I don't really have an IRL friends that I can call and say "hey would you like to come over for a Pepsi and help me out!"..  THAT said... 

So what do you do to manage when it's you solo and you're down?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When Mom is down - and you have no backup..

• Options
    P.S. - I apologize for the what sounds like "Pitty party - table for one!" above...  It's just been a "perfect storm" type week...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry your recovery isn't going well! I'd beg my family to come help...in fact, I have done that before and mines about the same distance as yours. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My family is 12hrs away. I would probably buy my mom a plane ticket. Hope you are feeling better soon!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

I am assuming that you cannot drive at the moment, I know it would be an imposition, but could you maybe ask your family to come get you and take you back for the week, If they cannot stay with you.

I have no family around either (we are expats in Canada, all my family is in England), it can be hard sometimes, but I have also learnt that friends are always willing to help, even if you don't think you are close enough to ask. Maybe just see if someone wants to do a playdate, even if you are not up for talking much, the kids occupying each other can make life easier.

I hope you feel better soon

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Options
    I would have a serious talk with my husband and make him help more. He'd be taking over as soon as he gets home.

Hope all is healed now and you're feeling better!
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"