Postpartum Depression
Options

New here, Medication question

Hi all. I am 12 weeks pp and was just diagnosed PPD this past week. I have counselling set up but it doesn't start for another week. I have also started some medication, Lexapro. Does anyone have any experience with this specific medication? How long does it take to begin noticing a diffrence? I really hate the way I am feeling and just want to get back to normal!
Together Since 9/14/2008 
Married since 08/19/2011 
Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New here, Medication question

• Options
    Hi, I'm glad you found us here. I take Wellbutrin not Lexapro, but was told it takes about a month for everything to even out. I've been on it since February, I would say by mid-March when I went back to work I felt a bit more normalcy.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Options
    It can take 4-6 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    I used to Lexapro.  Along with therapy, it helped me manage my anxiety and depression.  Hopefully, you will start to see a difference with physical symptoms in 1-2 weeks.  You may notice improvements with your energy level, sleep, and appetite.  In terms of feeling down or uninterested, that may take up to 6-8 weeks.  Your counseling appointment should help as well.  GL.
  • Options
    Hi.

I am 29 weeks pregnant and have been on Cipralex for about two and a half years now. Cipralex is the exact same drug as Lexapro it just goes by a different name in Canada. My doctor has kept me on it throughout my pregnancy as she felt it was safer for me to stay on it rather than try and go off while preg. I visited this board even though I'm still pregnant because I know that PPD is a very real possibility for me and I want to hear from and talk to other moms. My experience with the drug has been a positive one, but it does take time and patience. Most anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds work best with therapy, so I strongly encourage you to keep taking to someone as well. Also, one drug is not the same for everyone, so if you feel like Lexapro isn't helping you, talk to your doctor about other options. Unfortunately, for some people, it takes trying different drugs and/or different therapy options to find the right fit. The good news is, even when you're at your lowest, there IS hope. I've seen people overcome very serious depression and lead healthy and happy lives. Make sure you always talk! Take care and good luck.
  • Options
    It's different for everyone, obviously. The first medication I tried didn't work, so I switched to lexapro. I had some initial side effects (sweating, insomnia, increased irritability, etc) for about 4-5 days. At the week mark I noticed a little bit of improvement in my mood/anxiety/depression. By two weeks I was back to normal. Some people take longer though, so don't be discouraged if that's the way it is for you. Dr usually recommends that you stick with something for 6 weeks before switching (unless you have a really strong negative reaction or something).

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"