Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I just dont know what to do.

I've gotten 9 hours sleep within the last 72hrs. Our 4 week old baby boy is one fuss monster. He had an appt with his Dr today....but she was no help! He's healthy and all but the problem is that he's constantly hungry? He constantly makes the "im hungry" gesture even though he's full. Bloated tummy, but not constipated. He's 80 %formula fed. He eats about 4-6oz of formula every 2-3 hours. The real problem is he will.not.SLEEP. I've tried what seems like everything. Gripe water,swaddle(he hates being swaddled with a passion) rocking,bouncing,jiggling,shushing,white noise,singing,reading,expensive swing,cosleeping, tummy rubs, burping,diaper changes,walks. All of which kinda work-until he snaps himself awake. Then he quickly makes eye contact with me and tells me "hungry,hungry." Followed by lots of flailing arms and an eventual cry fest. I just don't know what to do. Why wont my baby sleep! Lol...ah...

Re: I just dont know what to do.

• I'm sure you've tried, but what about a pacifier? I just read something about how some babies are just "sucky" babies and act like they are hungry all the time when all they really need is to suck on something to feel soothed. Maybe he just needs something to suck but doesn't realize it yet? I'm sure I'm no help, but I hope you get some more rest soon!
    May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • hello. congrats on your LO. you must be so exhausted....! 

4-6oz of formula as often as 2-3 hours seems like a large quantity in a 24 hour timeframe. are you absolutely sure your LO is actually hungry - i'm curious to what the i'm hungry gesture is. have you tried a pacifier to help soothe? do you have a swing?  or perhaps sleeping in a carrier safe for your LO size? 

good luck. hang in there. it should get better soon

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely think he's eating too much. My boys are 3 months old and get expressed milk during the day and formula at night - they never take more than 5 ounces (now at 3 months - my big guy is about 15-16 lbs). At 4 weeks I don't think they took more than 2.5 ounces, maybe 3. I'd troy some other ways to soothe him to see if that helps. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, my guys don't love the swaddle, but it's how I get 2 hour naps and 6-8 hour stretches of sleep. If the swaddle is loose and bust out, they're up. No way could they sleep without being swaddled. You gotta get it tight - have you tried the miracle blanket. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello! And thank you for the replies. Forgot to mention the binkies. He'll suck for 2secs before spitting it out :( seems to upset him more. He'll frantically put his hands in his mouth sucking, turning his head side to side until I give in and feed him more.I usually feed him until he pushes the bottle away...but I think he's over eating too- so Im going to slowly feed him less. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  • In reference to the paci - My dd is 12 weeks and she still has trouble keeping the paci in even though she uses it to sooth. Maybe try keeping a finger on it to keep it in place for a bit. They don't really know how to suck on it and keep it in at this age. So him "spiting it out" might not be that he doesn't like it, just that he is little and doesn't know how yet. If she doesn't want the paci she cries around it.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• I second the swaddling. DS doesn't seem to like it for first few minutes, but with a walk and a shush he calms right down and conks out. I tried pacis earlier and he wouldn't rskw them. Now, at two months, he's fallen in love with the soothie. Sometimes I have to hold it I'm their long enough for him to calm down and realize what it is.

As for slowing down feedings, try a slower nipple speed for the formula. If he's on level one, get him a premie nipple and see if that helps. It will slow down his eating so he has more time to realize he's full and the extra work to get the food may tire him out.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Have you tried putting baby in a carrier like a Moby wrap and soothing that way? Babies root around when they want to suck in general, not just when they are hungry.  My son won't take a paci right now, but if I put him in the Moby wrap, he's generally asleep within 5-10 minutes.
  • Swaddle Me swaddlers- I couldn't get the muslin blankets tight enough- he'd always kick himself right out of it. I also agree that sounds like a lot my baby is a preemie- but he still only takes 3oz every 3hrs a feeding at 2 months.
    Anniversary

• I think you are miss reading his feeding cues for sleeping cues. This is very common and easy to do. Hold that pacifier in his mouth and let him suck and when he gets aggressive he's probably trying to fall asleep especially if he's just eaten. If you are into books read the baby whisperer. It helps you to know that baby needs connectivity after eating my needs to go to sleep.

I agree with the other girls that you should try using a baby carrier as well!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• yeah. said:
    You're overfeeding him. 4-6 ounces of formula every 2-3 hours for a 4 week old is insane. I bet his tummy hurts :(

Have you tried a paci?
    Agree with this, too. That is way too much food. What does your doc say when you tell her how much your LO is eating? 

My 13-week old eats 6 oz. every 3-4 hours. He's breastfed so that may change the equation a bit, but probably not by much. I've heard (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that formula fed babies actually stay fuller longer, too. 

It sounds like maybe he continues to take the bottle out of comfort but it's too much for his little body to handle. 

The only other thing I can think of is - is it possible he's allergic to something in the formula? Have you tried a different brand? 

• I'm glad I read this. My guy is almost 4 weeks old and eats about 4 oz every 3-4 hours. I seem to have the same problem. His "hungry gesture" is the same...hands in mouth, turns is head, tries to suck on anything that goes near his mouth. I have always assumed this means he is still hungry because he won't calm down until I give him more food. 
    I actually didn't know there were different 'speeds' for nipples. I will have to look into this and get one that is a little slower!

OP - thanks for posting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"