November 2014 Moms
Options

Blurred vision, dizzy, numb lips.

edited August 2014 in November 2014 Moms
This is the second time this has happened to me in a week. It starts with my vision going blurry. Then I get dizzy and light headed and my face goes numb. It lasts for over an hour and after it's over I have a headache and feel like I have been hit by a bus. I talked to my doctor (last time this happened) and she said it was low blood sugar but I have been eating a ton of healthy snacks and drinking lots of water.
Called them again and waiting for a call back. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? It's really freaking me out.
My prince

My princess

Name my baby!

Re: Blurred vision, dizzy, numb lips.

• Options
    Substitute "flashes of light then loss of vision" for "blurry vision" and this sounds like what happens when I get a migraine. Do you have a history of migraines? Even if you don't, all of these hormones can jump start them :( I hope you get some answers and feel better soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was gonna guess pre-e as well, but I'm glad you called the doctor and I hope they get back to you soon! Definitely something that they should check out.

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it's low blood sugar maybe you should try drinking a glass of juice when you feel it coming on and see if that helps?  Honestly I'm surprised your doctor wasn't a little more concerned, but she has a medical degree and I don't...  I hope you feel better fast!  Keep us posted!

• Options

My OB told me to watch for those things - they can be a sign of preeclampsia. Any reason your doctor isn't concerned about this?

Thankfully when this happened last time I had my 24 weeks appointment that same day. My blood pressure was fine and my urine did not have protein in it but the symptoms sounding close to pre e really really scares me.

When they call back I'm going to insist they check me for other things because I never had this when I was pregnant with my son.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    dr_pr said:

Substitute "flashes of light then loss of vision" for "blurry vision" and this sounds like what happens when I get a migraine. Do you have a history of migraines? Even if you don't, all of these hormones can jump start them :( I hope you get some answers and feel better soon!

Thank you! I feel like I have the worlds worst hangover right now. I had to leave work. It sucks. I have never had a migraine but maybe that could be it??? Never thought of that.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    I am sorry this is happening to you. Hopefully your doctor has some answers for you soon.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options

dr_pr said:

Thank you! I feel like I have the worlds worst hangover right now. I had to leave work. It sucks. I have never had a migraine but maybe that could be it??? Never thought of that.
    Hangover sounds right too! Get as much rest as you can, no matter what is causing it!

• Options
    I would also guess pre e, or a variation. I had HELLP with DS, which is a variation. There were no proteins in my urine and I actually felt fine, it was my BP that was sky high. I would make sure to follow up aggressively.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    Check your blood pressure when that happens, might be a sign of preeclampsia
  • Options
    bethas said:

You can have migraines without pain, and some mirror stroke symptoms. I've had them a few times, and it freaks me out. Mainly harmless, just disconcerting. That was the first thing I thought if.

So they had me come in to be seen. My urine is still great and my blood pressure is low, so they think really bad migraines. Which sucks! Is there any way to prevent them? They wipe me out for the rest of the day :(
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    There is a difference between headaches and migraines. If Tylenol and caffeine work then it's a bad headache. Those things don't work for actual migraines. Location of pain is also an indicator of a headache or a migraine.

I have chronic migraines and see a neuro. I'm on a combo of meds as a daily preventative (noratriptalyne and atenolol) and take my rescue med as needed (imitrex). I've decreased the frequency from about 22 migraines/mo to 11/mo. I still have a ways to go to hit the goal (4/mo).

You can take magnesium supplements daily as a preventative. Benedryl works for some at the onset of a migraine (it doesn't for me). No more than 12oz of caffeine a day (this is where a headache and migraine can differ-caffeine can trigger migraines no doubt).

Those are scary symptoms for a migraine. Numb lips is not on my list of migraine symptoms. Hope you can find a way to prevent it from happening again!
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    No advice, just hope you feel better!

• Options
    I agree with PP that it does sound like it could be a migraine.  I got them 3-5 times a month before getting pregnant and I've only had one since.  Caffeine can help some for some people, with migraines and regular headaches.  It helped me before with migraines and I use to help with regular headaches now.  

If there are migraines there are some meds you can take.  I took three before, and the fioricet I was taking before I can take now, but again thankfully I haven't had to. 

I hope you can get in with your doc soon, find out what's going on, and feel better! 
    Connor Graham

• Options
    There is a difference between headaches and migraines. If Tylenol and caffeine work then it's a bad headache. Those things don't work for actual migraines. Location of pain is also an indicator of a headache or a migraine. I have chronic migraines and see a neuro. I'm on a combo of meds as a daily preventative (noratriptalyne and atenolol) and take my rescue med as needed (imitrex). I've decreased the frequency from about 22 migraines/mo to 11/mo. I still have a ways to go to hit the goal (4/mo). You can take magnesium supplements daily as a preventative. Benedryl works for some at the onset of a migraine (it doesn't for me). No more than 12oz of caffeine a day (this is where a headache and migraine can differ-caffeine can trigger migraines no doubt). Those are scary symptoms for a migraine. Numb lips is not on my list of migraine symptoms. Hope you can find a way to prevent it from happening again!
    Thank you. I got checked at the doctor and everything with baby was fine, they will be testing my iron levels at my next appointment to rule that out. She said it might be severe migraines.
    The thing is, the headache part does not happen until the other symptoms, go away. So it's not really the headache part that bugs me most, (although it does suck!) its the being soooo out of it for an hour and not being able to see.

I do work at a computer 8 hours a day, wonder if that and lack of sleep could be triggering them??
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    That could be true since you look at a computer screen so long. You also sound like you get an aura before your migraines, some people with seizures get them before they have seizures as well. Hope you get some answers soon!
  • Options
    dr_prdr_pr member
    edited August 2014

There is a difference between headaches and migraines. If Tylenol and caffeine work then it's a bad headache. Those things don't work for actual migraines. Location of pain is also an indicator of a headache or a migraine.

I have chronic migraines and see a neuro. I'm on a combo of meds as a daily preventative (noratriptalyne and atenolol) and take my rescue med as needed (imitrex). I've decreased the frequency from about 22 migraines/mo to 11/mo. I still have a ways to go to hit the goal (4/mo).

You can take magnesium supplements daily as a preventative. Benedryl works for some at the onset of a migraine (it doesn't for me). No more than 12oz of caffeine a day (this is where a headache and migraine can differ-caffeine can trigger migraines no doubt).

Those are scary symptoms for a migraine. Numb lips is not on my list of migraine symptoms. Hope you can find a way to prevent it from happening again!

Thank you. I got checked at the doctor and everything with baby was fine, they will be testing my iron levels at my next appointment to rule that out. She said it might be severe migraines.
    The thing is, the headache part does not happen until the other symptoms, go away. So it's not really the headache part that bugs me most, (although it does suck!) its the being soooo out of it for an hour and not being able to see.

I do work at a computer 8 hours a day, wonder if that and lack of sleep could be triggering them??

----------------- End quote ------------

I agree with @Coltiersmom that it sounds like a migraine with an aura preceding. The worst part about my migraines isn't the pain either. Like you said, it's the loss of vision/being out of it for the time before the pain hits. Good luck with the management. You'll eventually find something that works for you.

• Options
    My husband gets migraines that sound just like this. He loses vision and some speech. His hands and face go numb, scary symptoms but he goes to the chiropractor and that seems to help him. Hopefully you get answers and its nothing serious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"