Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Breast feeding post Csection... Drugs and a newborn sleep question

Has anyone taken or used a Narco prescribed by Dr post Csection? I'm 5 days out from my DD birth and on Ibuprofen and Narco from the hospital. I tried to ween myself down to 1 Narco every 4-6 hours instead of 2, and the pain is still coming back intensely. My DD sleeps all the time and I'm wondering if it might be due to the pain meds. Anyone else have stories to share about usage and newborn sleep? I know my OB would not Rx if it wasn't safe for everyone and she knows I'm exclusively breast feeding, but I'm just wondering. DD sleeps like 20 hours a day!

Re: Breast feeding post Csection... Drugs and a newborn sleep question

• Options
    we triple checked with the doc about those drugs after my c section, you're fine! I couldn't move for awhile but soon as I thought I was better I pushed it a little too much and was in terrible pain again for a few days. Take it easy! It takes awhile (up to 6 weeks) to be back to normal.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They sleep constantly for like the first month, I wouldn't be too worried.  Take what you need to take to take care of LO.  I took narcotics because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to pick up/change/etc LO because of the pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    It's important to try to stay ahead of the pain after a C/S.  I was prescribed Norco but was able to get by alternating Motrin and Tylenol.  If you're experiencing pain, take the Norco.  As for your baby sleeping all the time, enjoy it!  My guy was not one of the newborns who did nothing but sleep and that was rough!
  • Options
    My 5 year old DD was not this good of a sleeper, but my newbie only sleeps and eats ;) The pain is better but I overdid it yesterday and had to take my Norco again, timing it with alternating with Ibuprofen. Taking it easy today and tomorrow...
  • Options
    I had Norco after my Csection. I kept my schedule of every 4 hours (even set alarms for middle of the night) because if I missed one, the pain would come back. I got a bottle of 40 without refills. Towards the end, I tried to lessen it but it didn't work out. Luckily my OB refilled my bottle because I explained that I had tried to go down but just needed more to wean off. By the time I didn't need the meds anymore, I have some extra on hand...which I've had to use to combat a mini migraine.

Enjoy the sleeping babe and rest! Soon you'll be happy when it's nap time. (Actually, my DS is currently napping!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • Options
    Agree with aditigirl, it's normal for a newborn to sleep that long. Mine slept like that until he was 3 weeks then he was suddenly much more alert during the day. And I wasn't on meds. :)
  • Options
    Totally normal newborn sleeping pattern. Mine slept A LOT until almost 6 weeks old. Then it was like he suddenly woke up to the world around him.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"