September 2014 Moms

Accelerated Heart Rate

Hi Ladies! Today I had my 32 week appointment. The nurse checked the baby's heart rate and it was at 180 - which is high. They hooked me up and monitored the baby's heart rate for about 45 minutes. Turns out the base line was about 150 and every do often it would accelerate to 180. Apparently this is normal and the doctor told me not to be concerned - it was just a coincidence that the initial heart rate was taken when it was accelerating. Does anyone know anything about this? The doctors terminology confuses me! Thanks!!!

Re: Accelerated Heart Rate

• if your doctor wasn't concerned, told you not to be, and it is normal, I wouldn't worry. 

• What terminology is confusing?

Base line= The standard. Your baby's normal HR.

Accelerated= faster than that.

Just like when you move or exercise your heart rate accelerates, so does your baby's.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• Loading the player...
  • agreed with pps. Next time if you're confused, please don't be afraid to ask your doctor for clarification.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Got it... Thank you! The baby was moving when he was at 180 - that explains it!
  • Accelerations above baseline are a good thing= sign of appropriate neurological functioning.
    When you run around the block your heart rate picks up to circulate more oxygen, same with babies

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• While on the monitor last week my baby bounced from 130-150 resting and 180 when active. No one ever said anything. Listen to your dr, if they aren't concerned don't worry yourself over nothing .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My little guy is typically bouncing all over and in the mid 140s but today was nice and cooperative and quiet with a heart beat of 130 and no one was worried. It's normal.
  • teenybean said:

Accelerations above baseline are a good thing= sign of appropriate neurological functioning.
    When you run around the block your heart rate picks up to circulate more oxygen, same with babies

This explains it well. The spikes are a positive thing. When I had NSTs with my son he would fail them if they didn't see these spikes in heart rate. I couldn't remember how they explained it. But it sounds like everything is fine, especially if the dr said so as well.

• I was monitored for two hours last week, and baby's hb was over 180 for about 45 minutes. They gave me some cold drinks and it calmed down for the rest of the time. Turns out she just really didn't like the monitors so she was squirming, causing it to be fast.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Like the others said, accelerated hb is good, it's normal for babies, and adults alike. Our hb should accelerate when we move.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"