Working Moms
Options

Out of Bounds to Ask Nanny...

Hey guys!

I'm setting up interviews with some nannies for next week and I'd really like to see a copy of their immunization records.  My husband thinks it's not appropriate to ask for, but since she will be caring for our son before he's had all his immunizations, I feel like it's a reasonable request. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering about "light housework" - most nannies say they are comfortable with light housework, but what's reasonable to ask of her? And should it be expected or just a bonus? 

All experiences and personal stories are appreciated! TIA!

Re: Out of Bounds to Ask Nanny...

• Options
    I would consider loading/unloading the dishes, maybe some laundry (?), and possibly other quick chores as light housework.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You should make it clear during interview that it will be a requirement for employment.  If they have them great.  If someone doesn't that you ultimately decide to hire, then maybe offer to pay for her to go to CVS and get them.  Many ladies who are nannies do not have health insurance (generalization that I hope doesn't offend anyone).  So it's a nice gesture.  I consider it the same as asking the nanny to take an infant CPR glass and paying for it.

As to light housework, that adjusts as your child gets older.  When little, I would expect the house to be as I left it (not messier, but maybe not that much cleaner either), bottles to be washed, and kid's laundry done once per week.  As the kids are older/sleeping for longer naps, etc, you can add in unloading dishes, quick errand running, maybe an extra load of sheets/towels.  I think if you are super messy people, it's unfair for her to pick up after you daily.  But I think it is fair if you are pretty neat for the house to be as you left it.  So no extra dishes in sink, toys left about, etc.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure our nanny agency screened for immunizations, so it is definitely not an absurd request.

As for 'light housework', we made it clear when E was younger and a handful, he was (and continues to be) her first priority.  That being said, as his naps got longer, she was able to do more.  It started out that she was responsible for cleaning up all the play areas, washing bottles and doing his laundry.  She's been with us over two years, and now she cleans our kitchen everyday, loads and unloads the dishwasher, cleans up the play areas of the house and does all of our laundry.  Oh, and she walks our dog when she first comes and right before she leaves.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I interviewed 5 nannies and stressed that they would have to do light housework: pick up toys, dishwasher, kid laundry, clean up after themselves. No one balked at the request. Now that the babies are on the same schedule and DS1 goes to preschool, she offered to do even more-- freeze breast milk, change crib sheets, etc. today she even offered to wash the dog!
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    As PPs have said - I told all potential applicants that immunization being up to date would be part of the hiring requirement and asked if that would be a problem.
    As for chores/light house work - I stated what the responsibilities/duties and current routines were at time of hire. I walked them through what I expected from them each day - ei folding babies laundry from the night before, washing bottles, running dishwasher and unloading, vacuuming the floors and/or washing the play mats. Nobody said that this was something they wouldn't do but perhaps the two that didn't end-up coming for the in person (I pre-phone screened everyone first) declined because they didn't want to do these thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"