1st Trimester

7cm complex cyst?

My ob just called to tell me I have a 7cm complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary (side I ovulated from). She said it's nothing to stress over but it's twice the size they normally see during pregnancy so well just have to watch it. We weren't planning on getting the NT scan but she said "you'll have another ultrasound at 11-12 weeks for genetic testing so well check the cyst then." I'm wondering if we should just get the test done since well have an ultrasound anyway. She told me to watch out for severe pain.

I've had cysts before but never like this. I'm just worried about the baby being hurt by it or needing surgery while pregnant, has anyone experienced this or similar?

Re: 7cm complex cyst?

• unfortunately, this happened to me, but I wasn't pregnant, but I was trying. I kept ignoring pain and weird feeling in my abdomen. When I finally went to the doctor, my cysts had turned to dermoids, a kind of tumor. I ended up having to have surgery. On my left side it was 10 cm and almost 7 lbs basically filled with hair, teeth, and nails, things your body makes naturally. It had ruptured taking my left ovary and tube with it. the right side was 8 cm and almost 6 lbs and they were able to save it. I'm happy to say this is my 3rd pregnancy since, and they thought I wouldn't have any!! I wouldn't stress, but I would go with what doc says and keep watching it and pay very close attention to pain! good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Lurking here ... I had a 7 cm cyst found when I was 5 weeks along. I was told the same thing, that we just need to watch it and make sure it doesn't grow. It did cause some severe pain about 19-20 weeks along which landed me in the ER. They didn't do much for me, just told me to rest and the severe pain went away after a couple days. At 32 weeks my MW measured it at 7.9cm ... They were surprised it grew and sent me to MFM to get their opinion. I started drinking red raspberry leaf tea figuring it couldn't hurt. 2 weeks later MFM measured the cyst 5.5cm .. smaller than it had ever measured! Not saying the tea is the reason but it was the only thing I did different! My advise would be take it easy (fyi they took me off all exercise for fear of ovarian torsion), drink red raspberry tea, and try not to stress. They told me they would only due surgery if it grew larger than 8 cm (most cysts will shrink will pregnancy) and I was in the 2nd trimester. Also, careful with doing the NT test just because you will have an ultrasound anyway. We did the same thing, with the same thought process and I had to fight insurance to pay for that ultrasound. They said there was no medical necessity for the NT scan. It probably would have been easier to get a regular ultrasound paid for bc it would have been coded for the cyst not genetic testing (hope that makes sense). Hope this helps you! Good luck!

Sorry for formatting ... mobile Sucks!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened to me this cycle. Mine was 5cm. Doc said take it easy. No exercising, heavy lifting or sex. It will go down on its own. Mine was 3.3cm at my last scan. If you feel severe pain, go to the ER.
  • Thanks for the replies. I can't stand tea so the rrl would be out regardless. I wasn't given any specific instructions, just to look out for severe pain. Hopefully it'll shrink by my next scan!
  • A friend recently had her cyst rupture during pregnancy and needed surgery. She was 28 weeks along or so. She is still pregnant about 31 along now and on bed rest. Things look very good for her now.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had 2 cysts with my first pregnancy-- one 6cm and the other 10 cm. My doctor said it was fine to have sex and travel, but not internationally. They did ultrasounds every month and by the 20 week ultrasound, both cysts had resolved. Now with my second pregnancy, I have a 4 cm cyst that they are also following closely. I'm assuming it will resolve on its own again so I'm not worried about surgery this time, unlike last time. Hopefully, yours will resolve too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"