September 2012 Moms
Options

Separation anxiety?

So for the past few months, DD has been FREAKING out at daycare drop-off. I figured it was an age thing, since it was't something that started when she transitioned to this toddler room, but a few weeks after. It's been getting a little better, with the help of her teachers. But now, for the past three or four nights, she has been doing the same thing at bedtime -- clinging to me like a koala bear, crying, yelling "Mommy!" She has always been great at bedtime, so this is totally new. I've tried reading her an extra story, rocking her and singing, telling her it's OK and tucking in her stuffed animals first. She stops crying if I'm holding her, but completely loses it again when I lay her down. I've had to just walk out of the room and then she stops crying in a couple of minutes, but it's breaking my heart that she's so upset. Any ideas on how to combat this or what could be causing it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Separation anxiety?

• Options
    Newt69Newt69 member

No words of advice, we are fighting it too. It sucks because DS wasn't away from DC very long.

Last year, we figured out if the adult would pull out a magazine or book to read to him while I left, that helped.

This year, he starts crying when I say "give me a kiss or hug" or the words "gotta go"....next week I am going to try "see ya later" to see if that helps. if not I will leave without saying a word

• Options
    Q had been having some trouble at bedtime too. So I gave her a choice of laying in the chair with me for a little bit, or going to her crib. When she chooses to sit with me, we lay back quietly. She has to lay down and not talk or mess around. Some nights she falls asleep on me, others she lays for awhile and then gets restless, so she goes in her crib. I was worried I was getting a bad habit, but the last couple of weeks she has been falling asleep on her own.

We do sing songs while she's in her crib. I tell when we will do one more song, then say it will be night night kisses and then mommy is leaving. We talk a LOT about what is happening next. It seems to help. I hope it gets better for you! It is heartbreaking having them cry and scream for you.
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No idea if this could be the same issue as we had, but DD has been getting really upset at night when she's thirsty. She has access to water all day so it never occurred to me as a possible issue, but after DH offered her a water bottle she drank 2/3 and laid down to sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"