Parenting

pumping at work issue advice needed

I've been at my new job about 2.5 months and pump on a fairly regular schedule and I'm pretty sure I'm the only mom currently pumping on the office.
The office I work in has a really great dedicated lactation room with a phone and computer. It's a great set up for pumping moms but also a great place for random people to go to check personal email or make private calls.
About once a week I have to ask people to leave the room so I can pump. Most of the time people are nice about it and leave quickly but this morning a woman was really snotty with me and took about 10 mins to leave.
Ok, getting to the point, should I tell my boss I've had issues with people being in the room and delaying my pumping sessions especially this snatchy woman this morning and see if we can remind people the lactation room is for lactation or let it ride and deal with the delays? I'm salaried so sticking to a strick time is less of an issue for me.
Please tell me if I'm being easily annoyed by this I won't mind I know I'm testy in the morning especially since I've had to switch to decaf for the LO.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
FKA: Mireland23  image

Re: pumping at work issue advice needed

• I'd definitely call HR or speak to your boss about it. This isn't you being easily annoyed. This is people using a room that they shouldn't and they need to stop.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2014

@Sterling13‌ yes she was on the phone and it sounded like she may have been doing a phone interview. Also the only reason she left after 10 minutes was because the awesome receptionist kicked her out for me. I had knocked and heard her in there left to get water and when I came back she was still in there so Judy (receptionist) made her GTFO. I feel comfortable going to my boss with this and will try to catch him later today. I'm glad to hear I wasn't just being cranky.

ETA: had to fix a type that was driving me mad.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • Totally unacceptable. I was in a new office a few months ago and had to use the lactation room and some twot had put their lunch in the mini fridge that's in there for milk and the Admin had HR send out a nasty email and later that day the food was gone.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• It's great they have a dedicated space and you have every right to use it for that purpose.

Last year I had to use an empty office used for storage. No one disrupted me but it was kinda weird. Someone uses that office now today and I almost blurted out "hey, I used to pump breast milk in here." He had no idea how awkward I almost made his work life. Yeah, dedicated space is better. Team kick out all the twats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would also go to HR and report the incident.  As PPs mentioned if it is a dedicated space, others need to be told to not use it and that needs to be enforced.  If people are using it to check email etc, there needs to be another space to do that and people should be directed there.  Let the HR person know about today's incident and that there have been many times you go to use the room and there is someone in there using it for non-pumping activities. 

The 10 minute delay though not a big deal today could be a problem on another day.  Think of all the work tasks you could have been doing in these 10 minutes instead of waiting for her to leave.  I tend to have a highly scheduled day and 10 minutes can mean the rest of my day is screwed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"