November 2014 Moms

How to say "No kids at the shower"?

Re: How to say "No kids at the shower"?

• I would write "adults only please" and not think twice about it.  I don't think kids need to be at everything. Especially if I am drinking or want to be drinking, my kid would be with grandma. I do hope my shower is mostly kid free but out of all the people invited, not many have kids so I'm ok with not saying anything. My wedding was actually kind of a mess because of kids. They were allowed to run around and they disturbed many of the activities. Guests couldn't even be on the dance floor without kids bumping into them or almost stepping on one of them.  

(Maybe this should be in OU :-/  ) It bothers me when I see even some of our family members let their kids run around adult parties where there is drinking until very late. The kids are usually unsupervised for the most part. I'm just the person though who would get a baby sitter so I can enjoy the night and not worry about endangering my kids life because I want a beer. Everyone is different. DH's cousins don't see any problem and have always allowed their children to be exposed to all the drinking and adults getting loud or telling inappropriate stories.

Woah here. One beer is hardly endangering your kids life. 

True. But I'm more of a safe than sorry person. If I want to cut loose and drink (in any amount), I will find a baby sitter. This will not always happen as I don't have to drink just because I am out.

Sad true story though, a lady I know literally had 1 beer and then drover her son to one of his friend's house. On the way she saw someone she knew and rolled down her window to talk to them. That person smelled her one beer and called the cops and CPS. It caused a nightmare for her entire family for over a year and she lost her state job because of it. Not saying this can
    or would happen, but better safe than sorry. People are assholes
    and you can't control them.    

So, she lost her job for having a BAC over the legal limit and getting a DUI? Or public intox? After one beer? I don't understand how the cops or CPS would be able to do anything or prove anything. Note: I'm just genuinely interested and asking for clarification not trying to be rude or anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My problem with serving alcohol at my shower stems from my SILs and some family friends.  As PP stated, it depends on who you are inviting to your shower.  I would have no problem with guest having a few cocktails.   BUT some of the people I would be expected to invite would feel like it was a rager and get shit faced.  Hence, the reason I would want to have a drink or two.   My entire post above was not to be taken serious at all...I was trying to be funny.   

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Loading the player...
  •  

Sad true story though, a lady I know literally had 1 beer and then drover her son to one of his friend's house. On the way she saw someone she knew and rolled down her window to talk to them. That person smelled her one beer and called the cops and CPS. It caused a nightmare for her entire family for over a year and she lost her state job because of it. Not saying this can or would happen, but better safe than sorry. People are assholes and you can't control them.    

So, she lost her job for having a BAC over the legal limit and getting a DUI? Or public intox? After one beer? I don't understand how the cops or CPS would be able to do anything or prove anything. Note: I'm just genuinely interested and asking for clarification not trying to be rude or anything.

Her BAC was not taken. They cops went to her house after they received a call. She had already been back home from dropping her son (I think he was 10 at the time) off for the night. Because of it being a complaint of child endangerment they did not have to go off anything but the complaint itself to arrest her. By the time her BAC was taken, nothing was in her system. But CPS still had to investigate and the arrest itself caused her to lose her state job. Because CPS found it to be a low priority case, it was drug out for over a year before their investigation was complete. The cops were waiting of the CPS investigation to drop charges which eventually did happen.

Like I said, it was a crazy, 1 in a million situation.

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

•  

Sad true story though, a lady I know literally had 1 beer and then drover her son to one of his friend's house. On the way she saw someone she knew and rolled down her window to talk to them. That person smelled her one beer and called the cops and CPS. It caused a nightmare for her entire family for over a year and she lost her state job because of it. Not saying this can
    or would happen, but better safe than sorry. People are assholes
    and you can't control them.    

Her BAC was not taken. They cops went to her house after they received a call. She had already been back home from dropping her son (I think he was 10 at the time) off for the night. Because of it being a complaint of child endangerment they did not have to go off anything but the complaint itself to arrest her. By the time her BAC was taken, nothing was in her system. But CPS still had to investigate and the arrest itself caused her to lose her state job. Because CPS found it to be a low priority case, it was drug out for over a year before their investigation was complete. The cops were waiting of the CPS investigation to drop charges which eventually did happen.

Omg. I would have gotten a good lawyer and probably sued. That's terrible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

Sad true story though, a lady I know literally had 1 beer and then drover her son to one of his friend's house. On the way she saw someone she knew and rolled down her window to talk to them. That person smelled her one beer and called the cops and CPS. It caused a nightmare for her entire family for over a year and she lost her state job because of it. Not saying this can or would happen, but better safe than sorry. People are assholes and you can't control them.    

Omg. I would have gotten a good lawyer and probably sued. That's terrible.
    That's awful.  WTF?

I don't know if there will be alcohol at my shower.  I don't care if there is and will probably steal a few sips from folks.

• Does anyone ever go anywhere without their kids? I guess I'm the only one having a rager for a baby shower....
  • Does anyone ever go anywhere without their kids? I guess I'm the only one having a rager for a baby shower....

Uh... Well when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

In all seriousness, yes, I go places without my kids. It just becomes harder. Not in the you will miss them aspect but in the finding a time that works for everyone. Honestly, I do just bring my daughter everywhere with me. I want to.
  • Well good for you! I guess people who can't find sitters or want to take their kids everywhere with them won't come to my beer themed friends only baby shower. I see nothing wrong with it. To each their own! I know my guests who choose to attend will have a great time and won't regret finding a sitter for this non traditional baby shower. I think doing things differently is freaking cool so go for it and do your wine party at the park and put no kids on the invite. You will weed out the party poopers that way.
  • Wow! These responses and I'm the one with a stick up my vagina.....surrrrre.

Me and my attitude are sitting pretty over here...feeling my baby kick and drinking unexpired orange juice. Cheers!!!!
  • @lisaren I hope you have a great, safe time!
  • I'm sitting at home. I'm
    Not going anywhere.

• I'm not trying to be rude. Just saying everyone is different and some people wouldn't mind getting a sitter. Some people drink alcohol at baby showers. Some pregnant ladies don't mind watching other people drink and havjng a good time. I talked about my party to show that there are other options besides the traditional baby shower and there's nothing wrong with throwing a wine party and telling people no kids. Doesn't make it right for someone to tell me to see my OB for the stick up my vag and to drink my expired orange juice. I'm an anxious FTM like many of you.
  • Shall we grab our whistles.

• I have plenty of options for child care. I planned in advance.
  • And everyone is looking at what I say and not at what people say to me. Awesome.
  • I didn't start anything! All I said
    Is people are different and should do what they want. I wasn't the one ganging up on the original poster for having a wine party at the park. She's not rude for saying no kids. This is ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"