Baby Names
Options

Ellington

I really love the name Ellington for daughter number 2, thoughts?  Is this too big of a name for such a little girl? The middle name will be either Joelle or Josephine.  Thanks.

Re: Ellington

• Options
    I don't like it and I thought boy the first time I saw it.
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• Options
    I could potentially get behind it for a boy, although I definitely think last name more than first name.  But for a girl?  Nope.  No Way.

If you want to use the uber popular nickname Ellie, there are hundreds of girl names you could use to achieve the same effect.  If you're trying to avoid popular names by choosing a name like Ellington, but still calling her Ellie, then it's pointless.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like names that end in "ton", like Leighton, Dayton, Kensington, etc.  Josephine or Joelle would be in honor of my husband and we can't have 2 Joe's running around.  I really want something a little different, other daughter's name is Scarlett and it is becoming way too popular - I would like to avoid this from happening again.
  • Options
    Doing an 'Ellie' name would not be a good way to avoid popular, no matter how different it is.

• Options
    No, just no. And as much as I hate Leighton, I would recommend that a million times over Ellington .
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like it as a last name, think it sounds really pretentious for a FN, and definitely not for a girl. I love Josephine or Joelle though.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I don't care for it. Josephine is nice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    One of the worst names I have heard in a while.
  • Options
    horrible
  • Options
    I thought boy when I saw the title too. If you like the nn Ellie, there are tons of ways to get it while still giving your daughter an actual female name. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    capuletcapulet member
    edited July 2014
    I really like names that end in "ton", like Leighton, Dayton, Kensington, etc.  Josephine or Joelle would be in honor of my husband and we can't have 2 Joe's running around.  I really want something a little different, other daughter's name is Scarlett and it is becoming way too popular - I would like to avoid this from happening again.
    But...-ton.  TON.  A large unit of weight.  All the -ton names just seem so ponderous for a girl, especially next to a feminine sibling name like Scarlett.  I do like Josephine.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    I've never heard Ellington before so it seems very odd to me!!! I've seen Kerington (not 100% on the spelling). I like Josephine!!
  • Options
    It kind of reminded me of Wellington. As in the beef. I don't want to sound mean, but in naming each of my kids I tried to think of how kids on the playground could make fun...kids can be really awful.
  • Options

First, I don't think Scarlett is as popular as you think. Granted it's in the top 50 in the state of Kansas (figured that's where you're from considering your sn), but that's not insanely popular...that's 47 in an entire state. It's a wonderful name and you should be proud of it no matter how popular it gets.

Second, you are completely shortchanging your second daughter by giving her any of the names you suggested. None of them match Scarlett in style and class.

Finally, like PP said, she doesn't have to be Jo if you name her Josephine. She doesn't even have to have a nick name. But if it's just not speaking to you as a first name that's fine. I really, really, REALLY encourage you to find a name in the same caliber as Scarlett.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• Options
    I don't like it, sorry..
  • Options
    Oh poor Ellington would be the name loser in your family.  I'm so surprised that you are considering it after making such a lovely choice for your first daughter.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    catahoulattecatahoulatte member
    edited July 2014
    Whoa Nelly that's not a good name. Josephine, Scarlett...great names. I would keep searching for something more in line with these.

ETA: Nymbler names that came up when I put in Josephine that are not super popular-
    Ruby
    Michaela
    Louisa
    Rose
    Rochelle

When I put in Scarlett-
    Guinevere
    Tallulah
    Hermione
    Anais
    Eden
    Virginia

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    It kind of reminded me of Wellington. As in the beef. I don't want to sound mean, but in naming each of my kids I tried to think of how kids on the playground could make fun...kids can be really awful.

Yup, first thought was beef Wellington. Delicious, I'm sure, but not a good name. I can't think of any girls' names that end in -ton.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Well, I seem to be in the minority here, but I think Ellington is a beautiful girl's name!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I met an older woman with the name Elsabeth and thought it was beautiful. I think it's the Dutch form of Elizabeth. Josephine Elsabeth perhaps?
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    I know it's not a popular name around here, but I know two female Carringtons.  It is a family name for both, but it is the only "-ton" name I can think of that sounds remotely feminine (to me at least.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I generally love love grande names, but Ellington isn't feminine enough for my taste and reminds me of jack skelligton...I like Joelle or Josephine far better.
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Options
    capulet said:
    But...-ton.  TON.  A large unit of weight.  All the -ton names just seem so ponderous for a girl, especially next to a feminine sibling name like Scarlett.  I do like Josephine.

I also suggest Kerrington
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Options
    queenbonequeenbone member
    edited August 2014
    I love Duke Ellington, but Ellington as a FN, especially on a girl, is dreadful. I just do not understand this thing for random surnames as FNs. 

With Scarlett I like:

Ramona
    Alice
    Phillipa/Pippa
    Fern
    Cordelia
    Matilda
    Roxanne/Roxy
    Beatrix
    Tabitha
    Betty

Married 9-4-04