Preemies
Options

Donating used preemie clothes to a friend - now, or later?

kbeach82kbeach82 member
edited July 2014 in Preemies

Hi ladies. I hope it is ok if I post this here.

The post below regarding a care package for a friend with a preemie is really helpful (I will definitely be using some of those ideas!), but I was wondering about preemie clothes specifically.

My friend delivered her baby boy at 27 weeks yesterday morning. I have a good amount of preemie clothes that I want to give her, but I'm not sure if I should wait to do that, or if I should go ahead and give them to her now. My singleton and both of my twins were in preemie clothes for a little while after they were born, but they were all only a few weeks early. I know the NICU will provide clothes for them, but I don't know if a 27 weeker will likely be able to be dressed anytime soon, or if the NICU staff will keep him in just a diaper for a while.

If anyone has any experience with a preemie born around 27 weeks, do you think preemie clothes would be helpful right now? Her LO weighs 2.5 lbs and is 13 inches long, so I'm honestly not even sure if preemie clothes would fit him right now. Thank you in advance for your help!

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

Re: Donating used preemie clothes to a friend - now, or later?

• Options
    e74e74 member
    My twins were preemies, however, they were born at 31 weeks. One of twins weighed exactly a pound heavier than your friend's baby... He wasn't able to be dressed for a week... I'm guessing that it will be longer for your friend, but also will depend on what the issues are.., both my twins were under bilirubin lights and the nurses said they couldn't be dressed while under the lights... I think it is awfully nice of you to want to donate the clothes, I think maybe waiting a week or two might be a good idea, but I'm hoping some others give you some input as well:) ..., These ladies are wonderful!
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
    Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.
  • Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    My DD was born at 31 weeks and she didn't wear clothes till she was in an open crib, about 2.5 weeks into her NICU stay. You could let her know you have them when she's ready for them.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My twins are 26 weekers.

They were in "diapers only" for weeks due to the temp regulated in the incubators plus the nurses and Dr.'s need easy access to their bodies for all shorts of different things.

They then started with a onsie in the incubator, and swaddled. Once they hit 1800 grams they changed into cribs which is when full clothing began.
    (Our current status)

I think it's a wonderful gesture for your friend, and her having the clothes might ease her mind as to one less thing to worry about during her stay in the NICU. (Even if she doesn't need it right away)

For me, looking at the adorable clothes and getting them ready (washing with the deft) put a smile on my face. And as a parent with twins in the NICU . . . I'll take all the smiles when I can get them.
    Very stressful experience!!
  • Options
    DS was born at 26 weeks and was not able to wear clothes for a long time. Probably closer to a month. I completely agree with pp that even at 3lbs the clothes were huge on him, but it really is a nice gesture. I would probably wait until your friend's baby boy is wearing clothes to give them to her. The last thing I was thinking about when DS was born was putting him in clothes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine were 26 weeks and 3 days, one at 2 lbs, the other at 2 lbs 2 oz.  Like others have said, a baby that tiny in an incubator won't be dressed for quite a while.  On the other hand, I think I would have loved the celebratory nature of the gift soon after birth.  I look back at when my twins were born, and when their 3 month older cousin was born.. their cousin got a baby shower and tons of gifts.. my twins got very little.  It was all just lots and lots of prayers and noone sure when to do anything at all.  
    That all said, I would give them sooner than later with a huge congratulations!  Tiny tiny babies need lots of thoughts and prayers, but they need to be celebrated too!  Just my feelings on it though <3  Good luck.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice and for sharing your experiences. They are very helpful! My friend was able to hold her son for the first time last night and I got to see a picture of the tiny (but perfect!) little guy :-) He is doing very well and we all have high hopes that he will continue to. Best of luck to all of you and your LOs now and in the future.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"