High-Risk Pregnancy

Any T1's that DON'T use a pump?

Just curious..Noticing a lot of you ladies seem to use one. :) I was only diagnosed last year, and I am using an insulin pen 2x/day still. The endo said he doesn't see the point in switching me to a pump yet since my numbers are good so far.

I'm almost 21 weeks and things are going well, but I'm still such a new diabetic--be nice to hear from some people who manage theirs similar to how I do. I don't know all the pump acronyms and lingo. :P

Married 11/2008. Started TTC January 2014.
BFP 3/30/14. <3 EDD 12/4/14
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Any T1's that DON'T use a pump?

• lelly0086lelly0086 member
    edited July 2014
    I am a new pump user, for 3 years I used injections. Lantus at bed time & Humalog with meals. I know every diabetic is different but for me I prefer the pump. I like only needing to be pricked once every three days instead of the 7-8 shots I was taking before. It seems like yours is much easier to manage so a pump is probably not needed. I know my MFM doctor wasn't going to approve me to start trying for baby until I was on a pump for better control. It's definetly a struggle being a type 1 mom to be so no matter what your routine is I wish you the best!
  • vmt617vmt617 member
    I was on shots (lantus/novolog) until last fall. I switched to a pump knowing that we were going to start trying to get pregnant soon and the shots weren't giving me the flexibility/control I needed to manage my T1. 

EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I use injections during my first pregnancy and this one too.

I used the pump in college and hated it. When it broke my freshman year I didn't have a good plan in place and went into diabetic ketoacidosis. So, I'm not a big fan of insulin pumps. I also find it is not well covered by my insurance and too expensive for me.

Anyway, I take 2 injections of Levemir each day (as my long acting insulin) and around 6-8 injections of Novolog. I use insulin pens because they are easier. I don't mind the injections, I'm used to them by now.

It is definitely possible to have good control of your blood sugars without a pump or a CGM, you just have to work at it. Like most of the T1 ladies on here I test my blood sugar around 8-11 times a day. I think frequent testing is the real key to good blood sugar control during pregnancy.

My first baby was born very healthy at 6 lbs 6 oz at 39 weeks (induction) and this baby is measuring right on target too and appears to be doing great.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about using injections and pregnancy :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• @lelly0086  How is it as a new pump user? Was it a hard change to make? I'm still in the "Honeymoon" phase still but I won't be forever. It IS tough being a Type 1 momma, but we got this. :) Good luck to you too!

@starla487 You're definitely right about checking often, it does seem to help!!! Thanks for the welcome... :) You ladies are so nice, it's a good "club" to join with people like you.

@vmt617  How was the switch for you? I know someday I may need to switch and it seems so complicated.

@heie0008 I definitely trust the pens so far. That's a horrible thing you went through, going into DKA! I was diagnosed because I was in DKA...so scary. Glad you're doing better and that you have two healthy babies to show for it (well the second one soon enough!) Thanks for the input. I'll definitely hit you up if any questions come to mind. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with being on pens/injections.  I know that, for me, when I took my "pump vacation" a couple of years ago, I would tend to get lazy about correcting those moderate highs so when I knew I wanted to get pregnant, I knew that a pump would be the way to go.  I had already been on the pump for 12+ years (Took a break due to burnout, getting married, and just needing to not be a cyborg for a bit) so I knew what to expect. 

• I did injections for 11 years and have been on the pump 11 years.  For me the big reason to switch was the flexibility that it gave me.  Mind you insulin technology has come a long way since I was doing injections so I can't speak to how much extra flexibility it gives these days.  I just remember waking up my first morning on the pump at 7 am and thinking, oh god I need to eat breakfast and do my shot!  only to remember if I wanted to sleep in now I could.

Switching from injections to the pump can be tough.  I wear a Medtronic pump so I can only speak to their training program but in my experience they give you a huge amount of support learning the technology and getting everything set up.  I do find that a lot of diabetes nurses and endos (more the nursing staff than endos) are not as up on the technology with pumps so you do have to become a bit more of your own advocate.  Of course that will probably depend on how many pumpers attend the same clinic/office that you go to.

Personally I advocate taking a few years to learn to control your diabetes "manually" as my endo calls it before considering switching to the pump.  In the event of a malfunction (I've had about 5 in 11 years, two were straight out pump issues and the other three were me pulling out my site without realizing it) you need to know how to managed without the technology.  I still take mini pump vacations every year or so to make sure my skills stay fresh.

You sounds like you are doing awesome so far on the injections.  Sorry I can't give more input on managing things with injections during pregnancy but you've got me as a cheerleader if you ever need it :)

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member

My high risk diabetes pregnancy team never put pregnant moms on the pump.  Some hospitals have the policy to immediately try and get moms on the pump but my team was of the mindset it is just too steep a learning curve and too much can go wrong while learning (really high sugars).

I would expect that you will need more than 2 shots a day as the pregnancy progresses though.  Way more than 2!  

• @missnacholover  Thanks for the input! Sounds like the pump is working great for you, that's awesome.

@KnitPixy   That is good advice about really learning to the "manual" way before switching to a pump. With all those pump malfunctions, it sounds very necessary! I haven't even had one year of injections...will probably want a lot of time to figure this out--what a lifestyle change already! And thank you, I'm happy to have you as a cheerleader. :) I appreciate it!

@=Lee=B       You are right about the learning curve, alright! I was so scared they were going to put me on a pump and I wouldn't catch on quickly enough. Just learning to eat right and do injections is work enough right now. Yeah, that may be about more shots...my Endo says we'll stay the course until my numbers get hard to manage. So far so good, on account of the "honeymoon phase", I suspect, but he did say if we lost control, we switch to more shots! Yay! lol
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @starla487 I use the Humalog 75/25 pen (mix of long/short acting) twice a day- before breakfast and before dinner. Pretty small doses- 10 and 13 units.

They just call it Type 1 but this 1.5 thing makes a lot of sense! I was 27 when I was diagnosed, plus I'm not thin, so I was definitely pegged as a type 2 at first, until they tested for antibodies. Interesting!! My Endo and Dietician have both commented that they're surprised I'm still on as little insulin as I am.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @katiescarlett1‌ the switch wasn't really that bad at all. I noticed right away that I was feeling better & my A1C reflected as well. I went from an 8-9 to 6.5 with the switch. I wish I could have been approved for the CGM but insurance denied it. But like I said before you may not even need the assistance of a pump with your little bit of insulin intake, I use about 150 units daily of humalog. Not sure what the average is for others but to me that sounds high. I also test at least every 2 hours, so I'm sure that also helps with better control. I wasn't that strict on myself pre- baby bump but now I won't take any chances.
  • @starla487‌ I was also a late diagnosis, 25 at the time. Doctors were stunned that it took so long to appear. They did lots of testing to be sure I wasn't type 2. It was definitely a life changer!
  • vmt617vmt617 member
    @katiescarlett1 The switch was surprisingly easy. I've been Type 1 since 2001 and had been adamant about staying away from pumps pretty much since diagnosis. I think it helped that I started a CGM and the pump within a week of each other. Having so much data available and really being able to see how much having the ability to set different basal rates throughout the day helped me and was a great motivator to adjust quickly. It's only been 10 months or so that I've been on the pump and CGM and I occasionally run into frustrations--mostly with a beach vacation this summer or trying to wear a certain dress--but those frustrations have been vastly outweighed by the positives for me.

EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started the pump 3 weeks before we conceived Tandem pump and Dexcom continuous glucose monitor. I'm at 26 weeks tomorrow. Used pen needles for a previous pregnancy that miscarried at 8 weeks. I have much tighter control with the pump. My last two A1C's were 5.1 and 4.8 which I thought was IMPOSSIBLE!

Ultimately it's about what you're comfortable with and what helps you get through the pregnancy with a healthy mommy and baby!

If you can use an I-phone you can use a Tandem pump. I have several profiles stored in my pump so that I can copy over my settings for a 24 hour period, make adjustments and make sure they work without having to reprogram everything. I even have my pre-pregnancy profile stored for during/after delivery so we have a baseline to start at post pregnancy.

I'm finding that it's a lot easier to maintain tighter control with the pump and Dexcom combination. I can set temporary basal rights higher or lower when things aren't trending in the right direction.

If you decide you want a pump and have any say in which one you get my best advice is to research several and pick the one that's right for you. I chose the Tandem because their support staff was so helpful and they have the smallest dosing increments on the market. A rep met me at Starbucks so I could see a pump before making my decision.I ended up selecting one that was not the preferred pump per my insurance company and just maxing out my out of pocket expenses for the year. Turns out it was the best possible year to do that because I should have very little out of pocket costs associated with the baby this year.

Even without a pump I would request a continuous glucose monitor like a Dexcom if you don't have one. It has helped me head off some highs and lows before they happened.

Best of Luck to you!

• Bit off topic but I'm curious of the pump users who have weighed in here who uses a CGM as well and if you do if it is a second device or built in to the pump? 

My medtronic pump has a CGM capbility built in it just requires to be turned on and a second sensor be worn.  I've heard a lot of folks mention the Dexcom CGM and am just curious to compare between brands what features are built in and what aren't

(@katiescarlett1 sorry to hijack your original post) 

• No problem @KnitPixy ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• KnitPixy said:

Bit off topic but I'm curious of the pump users who have weighed in here who uses a CGM as well and if you do if it is a second device or built in to the pump? 

My medtronic pump has a CGM capbility built in it just requires to be turned on and a second sensor be worn.  I've heard a lot of folks mention the Dexcom CGM and am just curious to compare between brands what features are built in and what aren't

(@katiescarlett1 sorry to hijack your original post) 

I researched this a lot when I was resuming pump therapy.  I went with the Dexcom G4 and animas Ping.  From what I found, the Dexcom was more accurate than the Medtronic pump and needed to be changed out less frequently.  I know Medtronic has since come out with a new CGM though.

• I am on a Medtronic pump and CGM and love them. As pp said, the new CGM can be worn much longer and is really nice. At one point I was looking at other options and my endo said he felt that for pump technology the Medtronic was ideal but that he preferred the downloads from the Dexcom CGM. So I used the Dexcom and hated it. At that time you wore the sensor and had to carry the receiver. I never kept it close enough to me and didn't want to wear both my pump and the receiver. I believe they were working on integrating with animus pumps at that time so maybe if you have an animus pump you can use the system very much like the Medtronic system. The technology changes so quickly. This has all just been within the last 3-4 years. Sounds like people are happy with both!
  • I have the Thresh Suspend turned off because of pregnancy but I am able to still use my CGM with Low and High Predictions. I agree with pp though and no technology is 100%. It can be frustrating at times but overall has impacted my diabetes management only positively.
  • You peaked my interest and I just looked at all my sensor settings and it's possible to utilize all settings and just turn off the thresh suspend. Now I want to know what they were talking about, too! As far as I know, nothing important is turned off...at least I hope not! When I got the enlite it wasn't approved for pregnancy (but I wasn't pregnant yet either) and my endo said it's because they don't want pregnant women to use the thresh suspend...so we just turned it off for now.
  • I was just looking into the Dexcom CGM and it says it is not approved for uses in pregnant women. Are any of you using it now while pregnant?? Just wondering if that is still true or not, I'd like to try it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a minimed revel and use their cgm. I used it with my last pregnancy and ended up having 3 kinked sites in a row (in the 6 years of pumping prior, I had had 1). Ended up in the icu at 32 weeks with dka. It was a weird turn of events. My daughter was born a week later and is a happy healthy 2.5 year old.

I am currently 15w with #2 and working hard to keep numbers in check. Weekly uploads of data for the endo and Mfm to see. Lots of work but so worth it.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just got the minimed veo. Haven't tried the CGM on it yet but my regional sales rep is a friend who has been wearing it since it came out and she has said the technology is much more accurate then the previous versions. I have toyed with trying the Dex CGM but unfortunately while my insurance covers the pump it doesn't cover a CGM.

• I have a Medtronic pump, and my first CGM was the old Medtronic sensor.  I absolutely hated it.  It hurt to insert, and it was very inaccurate.  Literally over 100 points different from what my actual glucose was.  I changed to Dexcom CGM during my first trimester, and what a difference!  Doesn't hurt, lasts longer, and very accurate.  So happy I made the switch!

<3

• I've been wearing my Dexcom throughout pregnancy AND on my thigh.  It's the most accurate and comfortable spot for me.  My OB had originally said that I couldn't wear it on my thigh but other OBs in the office and my endo said it's fine. 

• Hi all.. I'm just 4 weeks and I'm type 2 diabetic and my endocrinologist has put me on insulin! 30 units of Levitor at night... My question is what do y'all eat that won't hurt you and the baby? My endo said I would need to just eat meats and veggies... I know it maybe different with type 2 but I'm at a loss!
  • @jld247  I don't have experience with Type 2 but I would try to see if your Dr. can at least let you meet with a dietician. What helped me a lot with my diet is knowing how often I should eat, and how many carbs I should eat. My meal plan has helped me so much!  Hopefully someone can give you more structure and make it a little easier on you. :) Hope this helps a little.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"