December 2014 Moms
Options

maternity clothes

frenchy816frenchy816 member
edited July 2014 in December 2014 Moms
This may be a dumb question, but I'm completely lost on purchasing maternity clothes. 

Luckily I can still fit in to some of my 'fat' pants and I work from home so I live in my yoga pants. However, I am going on a business trip to Florida in October when I'll be 29 weeks for our company's staff conference. I will need business-like maternity clothes by then and since I'm going from NY to FL, summer clothes will be necessary. I'm hoping to get some in the next few weeks as the summer clothes go on clearance. 

How do I chose sizes? Go with my current size (I'm a plus size gal)? go up? Help! 

ETA: wording

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008

Re: maternity clothes

• Options
    When I've bought maternity clothes, I typically buy in the size I wear pre pregnancy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I went to motherhood maternity. I know they have plus size. The pants I bought were pretty true to my regular size and fairly affordable...plus they had petites which I loved
    Me: 28 Husband:: 29
    TTC  since April, 2012; Diagnosed with Hashimotos, Annovulatory.
    October, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui - BFN
    November, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui + Prometrium 2x a day- Chemical Pregnancy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got shirts and dresses from Motherhood Maternity and really like them! I got a couple pairs of pants and hated them. They were too big or too small and I really hated the fabric.

The Gap has Maternity up to a size 18, I got a pair of pants there that I like (I want to say the classic trousers), but I tried another pair and they were "slim through hip and thigh", which I am anything but...so they didn't fit, so all in all I've found one black pair at the Gap and am still wearing my work pants with my belly band.

Motherhood might work well for you, if they had for better, I could get over the material, it was just a double whammy.

Good luck and keep me posted if you find some awesome pants!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll take a look. I have a few places bookmarked. I'm tall too, so add that to my shopping troubles! 

• Options
    I am doing my pre-pregnancy size.

Test
  • Options
    You usually buy your pre-pg size. I find with jeans though you may need to go up a size at the end, they don't have a lot of give.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I love Motherhood maternity! The clothes are awesome for a fairly decent price! They seem like they are always having sales and I signed up for their email and I get coupons it seems like all the time! I tend to go with pre-maternity size in tops and then go a size bigger in the pants because I have a bigger tush and thighs :o) hope this helps! Good luck on your business trip!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I did end up getting some of their summer things from motherhood tonight because it was buy one get one! :) 

• Options
    Halsing said:

I I keep trying to find maxi dresses too but they all feel just a little too short...

Long shot but maybe worth a try - have you tried Banana Republic? Their summer stuff is probably going on sale, and I have a navy and white print maxi from there from sometime in the last year, and it's really long. It's not maternity but it's stretchy so I can totally get away with it, even with a decent sized bump. If you can catch their stuff on sale you can get really reasonable prices.
    D14 November, because I am finally not on mobile, how I feel in 3rd tri:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Do you like wearing dresses?  I've found maternity dresses to be the most flexible thus far, plus they'd be nice and cool in Florida.  I'm hoping the dresses I've bought thus far will last me til the end, but if not, no worries.  You are smart to buy summer stuff now, I'm sure there are tons of great deals.
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Options
    BeevolBeevol member
    I love my bela bands and just have been wearing my regular slacks with them. I've also had luck finding great stuff at resale shops that focus on baby/maternity stuff. 
  • Options
    I didn't read everyone's comments, so sorry if this is a duplicate.

Destination Maternity has strap on baby bumps to try on w/ clothes in all of the fitting rooms.  It really helps determine which items are big enough in the belly.
  • Options
    One other thought I don't think anyone mentioned, if you have had to buy bigger bras then go up a size from your pre pregnancy size for tops. I know my previous size can't contain me anymore!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"