Multiples

Any have ppd with first child then have multiples with 2nd pregnancy?

This is my biggest fear thinking forward to having my twins.
When i had Ds (now 3 y.o.) i had bad ppd that wasn't treated till he was 14 months old. I could hardly take care of myself her alone a newborn. I would call Dh in a panic to come home because i just could not handle having to take care of another person.

It took a long time to get over that and decided i could handle having another child. Now we are expecting twins and i terrified it is going to happen again. If i couldn't handle one newborn how will i handle two plus Ds? I am just scared.

So if you were in a similar situation can you let me know how it went for you? I feel very alone in these feelings as no one i know irl understand. Thx.
Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any have ppd with first child then have multiples with 2nd pregnancy?

• I don't have a personal history of PPD but I do have a h/o depression and anxiety and have made the decision to go back on a low dose of Zoloft during my pregnancy (due to out of control anxiety). It has helped immensely and I will continue working with my psychiatrist once I give birth to determine if any adjustments are needed. Having a h/o PPD puts you at way increased risk of having PPD again with subsequent pregnancies. If you can, I would try to get under the care of a good psychiatrist to go through your options and to help monitor you after you give birth. In addition to meds they can talk to you about non-medical treatments and support groups. Zoloft is often used to treat depression and  anxiety in postpartum moms b/c a very low percentage of the medication makes it into the breast milk.
     Often there are psychiatrists around who focus on perinatal mood and anxiety problems, especially if you live in an urban area. I wish you the best of luck and really hope you get some additional professional support - PPD is serious business.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks. I am being really proactive this time around. I plan on having a doctors appt set for 2 weeks after birth to see about going back on anti depressents if needed. I also went to therapy for a year to deal with the ppd and plan on seeing her again soon and well as on an as needs bases during the pregnany. Then again 2 weeks after the birth.

Right now I am just waiting on Dh to dig out her info so i can call and make an appt. It will be nice to just talk to her and say stuff that i wouldn't want anyone else to hear about how i feel right now. And have her agree i am processing this huge news normally.
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I was in a similar situation when I was expecting my twins. I had experienced horrible anxiety after my first and was terrified about having it worse after twins. I was proactive and told my doctor about my fears. She made sure that I was discharged with a prescription for Zoloft which I started taking immediately. It made a world of difference. I had some anxiety for the first two weeks while my body adjusted to the meds and then I started to feel better. It was like a night/day difference between my two postpartum experiences. Moral of the story, talk to your doctor and be proactive. You don't have to go through that again!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Being proactive is the way to go. I stayed on my meds through the entire pregnancy (Lexapro) and then it was adjusted right after birth, and now I'm back down to my regular dose.

Prior to birth I also scheduled an apt with my psychiatrist for 2 weeks post partum since I was fairly sure I was going to have ppd. 

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Since you are being proactive, I think you will find this a very different experience. It wont take 14 months to get treated, and you will have more help to start... (((hugs))) I think you are doing everything right this go round :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"