Trouble TTC

TTC for 1+ year

Driggers8982Driggers8982 member
edited July 2014 in Trouble TTC
My husband and I have been ttc for 1 year, 4 months. The first year however, I only charted my cycle lengths and assumed a time of ovulation from physical symptoms. We wanted to give pregnancy a chance without putting in much effort mentally. I'm sure we've all been there prior to trouble ttc. After a year of this, no pregnancy, crazy cycles, it was time to get a bit more strategic.

I've been charting now for 4 months -

First month charting went great; clearly detected ovulation, positive OPK at time of temp rise, then drop in temp/AF arrival, 57 day cycle.

Second month went ok - temps were a bit more extreme, opk detected ovulation way prior to rise in temp (actual ovulation), 51 day cycle, etc.

Last month (third month) - no ovulation detected, 33 day cycle. I had zero sign of AF arriving except for the arrival of the flow.

Current month (July) - Today is cycle day 22, opk detected PEAK ovulation 2 days ago (cycle day 20), no rise in temp yet, temps this month are all over the place. Breasts are very sore (sides) and swollen.

I'm assuming AF is approaching because of my very sore breasts, but I am also hanging on to the chance that I have not yet ovulated and this month of charting is not over yet.

This is the current months chart thus far:

I don't really have a specific question, just a general concern and frustration with my cycles and am searching for a bit of clarity or advice.

Re: TTC for 1+ year

• This is the previous month's chart when no ovulation was detected:
  • To share your chart, go to "sharing" and then "get code." The link you're sharing is going to show us our own charts.  

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• Loading the player...
  • Current month's cycle and previous (no ovulation detected in June):

• When it comes to seeing a RE, I've called few places and inquired for prices for the initial visit. It seems $1000 is the minimum cost for the initial visit and standard procedure. This is before any specific treatment and tests...  We are struggling with making that financial commitment right now. Why oh WHY is treatment so expensive...

I recently re-located so I have been looking for an obgyn - I spoke with an ob and she wanted to do a consult, no physical examination. I'm assuming she would just refer me to a RE and charge a redic amount just for a consult? Is it worth seeing an obgyn first? She specializes in fertility consultation..

What do you think of my charts?
  • BethKate2BethKate2 member
    edited July 2014
    Since you have been trying for over a year, have long cycles, and at least one annovulatory cycle I would look into an RE. I know they are super pricey, especially if you are out of pocket. Have you looked at your insurance? Sometimes diagnostics or other things can be covered. 

Truthfully unless you need a referral to an RE for insurance  purposes I think seeing an OB is often a waste of time. They can run some general tests but they really don't know much about getting women pregnant. 

I can't tell you much about your charts since I don't ovulate and charting didn't do much for me other than show me that, but its good that you are getting this info about your body and that you have that to take to an RE. 

I agree with all of this.

As far as your charts, I agree that it doesn't look like you ovulated last cycle, and there's no clear ovulation pattern for this cycle yet either.

ETA: Also, even if you do need a referral for insurance purposes, you may not need to go in to see your OB. I called my primary care physician and they made the referral for me, no problem.

TTC since July 2012 

Blogging to stay sane

• Hi and welcome. The two charts I see from your link don't look ovulatory to me, sorry. I too would probably skip the OB unless you are due for a check-up/pap anyway, the RE is going to help you more.

You should look into it when you're ready and able to afford it but for us even though it's expensive we just didn't want to wait any longer to figure out what's going on. For us the frustration of not getting pregnant was worse than the loss of money! So, we decided to pay as we go and just see how much it costs as we get into treatments. Good luck!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Welcome to the board and I'm sorry you had to make the transition.  I agree with PPs that an RE is probably going to be your best bet.  Even if the ob/gyn specializes in fertility consultation, it doesn't mean he/she specializes in getting you pregnant.  That just isn't the focus of an ob/gyn.  It seems like you have enough information from you charts to justify a consult with an RE.  I know it can be pricy and from others' stories about insurance, navigating that can be difficult.  However, what state do you live in now?  Some states actually mandate that insurances have some amount of fertility coverage. 

I live in IL, which mandates fertility coverage.  I have United Healthcare, and my plan specifically states IF is not covered, so I freaked out when I was thinking about starting testing.  Come to find that is a blanket statement to cover themselves in the instance the insured does not live in a state that does NOT mandate IF coverage.

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• irishtheatrechic said: STUCK IN BOX: umm I don't want to cause trouble or anything but this is my chart. My current one on FF. Maybe you copied the link for yours wrong?

@irishtheatrechic, she posted the wrong link. That's why you see your chart and I saw mine. She didn't copy your chart.

She posted the correct link afterwards.

TTC since July 2012 

Blogging to stay sane

• Sorry for any confusion, @irishtheatrechic, @bethgate2 brought that to my attention then I posted the correct link.

I live in Florida, so the mandate does not apply here yet. Insurance for my husband and I would be a minimum of $700 a month with the new health care act, so we had to drop ours... But that is an irrelevant an exhausting discussion in itself.. So no, I do not have insurance. Out of pocket is the only option. I'm 95% sure I am going to be making an appointment, I think I'll hold off until this cycle is complete and all hope for this cycle is gone.

Seems like this cycle may be another anovulatory, but I am still holding on to the small hope that ovulation is approaching!

I've had a few long, exhausting cycles lately (51 & 57). Woman with "regular" cycles have 4 cycles during my 2... That seems to be getting the best of me lately. Anyone else experience long, drawn out cycles, only to realize no ovulation occurred? Ugh.
  • I know where you're coming from!  I also have loooong, anovulatory cycles.  My last two were over 60 days and ended by induction with Prometrium.  It is so difficult when you have cycle-day specific tests and you're just waiting for the never-approaching CD1 or when you can call for a Prometrium prescription.  The waiting is what kills me.

I'm sorry about the insurance stuff....(another "ugh!"). 

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• These ladies have given great advice. I just wanted to say Welcome and sorry you have to be here. I hope you're able to get in to see an RE. I would definitely check with your insurance as sometimes they will cover up through diagnosis. It's worth a check for sure.

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm sorry for your struggle but glad you've joined us.

Cycles where you ovulate past CD21 and that are so irregular definitely warrant a full check-up with an RE to explain what's going on. When OPKs and temps don't match up, there is definitely something fishy going on, and you'll want an RE who can actually figure out what the issue is and treat it directly. 

I would definitely skip the OB too because they will probably just put you on Clomid but there's no way to know if that will actually solve your problem. You'll want to check YH's numbers, your thyroid and other hormones, and of course an HSG to makes sure your tubes and uterus are actually clear before medicating your body! :)

@bethkate Thanks for explaining about the FF link! I was like, how is this TTC when she's on birth control and having sex like, once a week? Aha, that's us this month, lol!!

January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Driggers8982Driggers8982 member
    edited July 2014
    Well, woke up this morning with a temp rise of 97.64 from 97.16 (yesterday). This slight rise is misleading because my ovulatory months I've been in the 98 range. But a rise is a rise, right?

I had a positive 'peak' opk on cd 20 and today is cd 23 - from what I've researched, a temp rise can come 1-3 days post ovulation and still be a clear sign of ovulation..?

Of course ovulation is not determined without a consistent peak, so we'll see what tomorrow brings :-S

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"