Working Moms
Options

WWYD - mid yr check-in incudes words 'maternity leave'

Just had my mid yr check-in - an informal discussion about year to date performance.  Not a huge deal, but it is part of the formal yearly review & compensation process.  Prior year reviews are available for current mgmt to access and will be reviewed during promotion discussions and internal mobility discussions.

Nothing negative in my review, but the words 'maternity leave' were in there.  I am not sure if I should ask for it to be taken out.  I work in a male dominated field, and am one of only a handful of women with children.  I don't think it is necessary to be in there, the sentence says something about resource planning for my maternity leave and after to free me up to work on more strategic projects.  I like the sentiment, but not broadcasting that I took a maternity leave in a formal review.  I feel like it could subconsciously influence decisions.  Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

WWYD?  Am I making too big a deal about it?
laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: WWYD - mid yr check-in incudes words 'maternity leave'

• Options
    mine also had it documented. i try not to think of it as a negative, but more like, "look how much i got done even though i was gone for 3 months.". in my experience, as long as you're performing to expectations, maternity leave shouldn't come up in promotion discussions.
  • Options
    As a manager I would also put it In the review as it needs to be done the planning that is and it is a reality. Why hide it. If my employee came to me asking to take it out i would decline. I just covered for someone on leave and the words were in my review and her review and I will say covering for her has been hell on earth as doing two full time manager jobs is not easy and I would expect to be recognized for it in my review so even if it is removed from your review I am sure the words are listed in someone else's review in regards to covering for you. I also know my boss reports every month to senior staff that she is on leave because he is held accountable
    For our development and he can't develop someone who is not there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    would "medical leave" be better?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    All true points.  I signed off on it, I think I'm just being sensitive because I know it will be a hard enough battle to get director, and I'll be competing against my peers who won't have it documented that they have kids in their formal reviews.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member
    I have had to document both of mine as part of explaining why my billable hours were below target for those years.  I don't think it's a big deal.  It was an extended absence and obviously impacted my productivity for those years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Honestly, I would probably have "maternity leave" vs. something like "medical leave" or "planned absence" that would be open to interpretation or speculation.  At least maternity leave is a set thing taht has a finite point.  "Medical leave" could lead some people to believe it is something ongoing or chronic.
    This.
  • Options

jtmomma13 said:
    amy052006 said:
    Honestly, I would probably have "maternity leave" vs. something like "medical leave" or "planned absence" that would be open to interpretation or speculation.  At least maternity leave is a set thing taht has a finite point.  "Medical leave" could lead some people to believe it is something ongoing or chronic.
    This.
    I think this is right, but now I'm thinking various things about my kids being chronic conditions...

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"