December 2012 Moms
Options

I feel huge!

I don't know how I'm going to get through 6(+) more weeks of this.  We just moved to Houston so I'm inbetween jobs (wasn't going to start something new this pregnant), taking care of a toddler, hot as heck, and dealing with constant Braxton-Hicks which are driving me nuts.  My husband works long hours, and as much as I love having more time with my DD, I'm exhausted and lonely.  I'm not used to SAH, so I don't have a great routine and am having a lot of trouble entertaining her cooped up at home.  I know it'd be good for us to get out, but it seems like such a chore at times, especially since her mood is so unpredictable and it's so hot outside, and I feel uncomfortably large.  I feel as large as I was at 42 weeks with DD, but I'm having a boy this time and I think the weight it all out front.  I can't even wish for the baby to come early because we won't have any help here until about 5 days before the due date (our families live far away and we figured it was likely the baby will be late again after last time).  I'm terrified of going into labor before our help arrives.  Everyone we are close to in this city works full time and has their own kids and demanding jobs.  I know they would be willing to help if we needed them to but I hate asking, and I don't know how it would work with car seats.  I'm just irritable and emotional and feeling sorry for myself.  I know everything is good overall and will work out, but right now I'm feeling overwhelmed. I guess I just need to take one day at a time.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I feel huge!

• Options
    Sorry all!  I meant to post this in the other birth month club.  Not as relevant here. :)  Is there a way to delete it?
  • Options
    I don't think you can delete the post entirely but you can click edit and just delete the contents. I hope you feel better.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have 9 weeks to go, and feel huge too. Also, this baby is sitting a lot lower, so I feel a ton of pressure on my cervix. I'm just hoping the next 9 weeks pass quickly.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I didn't realize that you were a Sept 14 mom until I saw your post over there. I'm due 9/29.

I'm somewhat in the same boat... We don't have family in town and our friends are all other working professionals. I'm kind of worried about when DD2 arrives since I'll be home by myself all day without any help while on maternity leave. I found it super lonely when I was off last time, so I can imagine being home now would be similar.

Maybe try a moms group? There's Moms of Preschoolers around here that I've considered looking into. Or we have indoor play places where they're fairly contained, and you don't necessarily be on your feet. One in particular has a nice coffee bar for the moms to socialize at.

Either way, hang in there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I didn't realize that you were a Sept 14 mom until I saw your post over there. I'm due 9/29. I'm somewhat in the same boat... We don't have family in town and our friends are all other working professionals. I'm kind of worried about when DD2 arrives since I'll be home by myself all day without any help while on maternity leave. I found it super lonely when I was off last time, so I can imagine being home now would be similar. Maybe try a moms group? There's Moms of Preschoolers around here that I've considered looking into. Or we have indoor play places where they're fairly contained, and you don't necessarily be on your feet. One in particular has a nice coffee bar for the moms to socialize at. Either way, hang in there.
    Thanks for the support and words of encouragement.  You must be in the Houston area too then?  I've looked into joining some meetup groups after reading some of the suggestions on the September 2014 board and have been feeling inspired to get out and do some new things indoors.  Hoping this will help and everything will work out with the delivery.  Sorry to hear you are also stressing a little too  If you're in/hear the loop and would be interested in getting together during maternity leave, send me a message.  
  • Options
    Hello,

I am not in your same boat, but I am in Houston. It sounds like you have friends here, so you may know all this, but just in case you decide you are up to getting out and about I thought I'd let you know about some things:

The museums are great and very kid friendly. The Menil and the Contemporary Arts Museum are always free and not gigantic. The Menil is also surrounded by nice green space that's good for toddler wandering. The Museum of Fine Arts is free on Thursdays. Right now they have the Soto on display (https://www.mfah.org/exhibitions/jesus-rafael-soto/) and my 19 month old LOVED IT! It is interactive and so much fun. The Children's Museum might be free on Thursdays as well, and they have an area that is specifically designed for kids 3 and under. The Asia Society also has a museum in it. My partner took our son there a week or so ago and said  he had fun looking at the big art.

Discovery Green downtown has a great splash pad. We've only been once this summer, but early it is almost exclusively toddlers and their parents (at least on the weekend). There are also a lot of parks with splash pads, but of the 3 or 4 we've tried out this summer, Discovery Green was definitely my son's favorite.

Houston Public Library has some great programs at the local branches. 

For now or future reference, I recently discovered this blog -- https://www.bigkidsmallcity.com/ -- which looks like a great resource for kid friendly things in the city.

Even though I've never been hugely pregnant at this time of year, I feel you! I can't imagine being in the third trimester in Houston's summer. Good luck and I hope the baby isn't too late!

• Options
    valeriegp - Thanks for all the great tips and for sharing the blog!  I have heard so many great things about Discovery Green but haven't made it yet - will have to check it out soon.  Good idea on the museums. Wasn't thinking they would be so kid friendly but we'll have to give it a try. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"