July 2014 Moms

Oy... induction, here we come! (A little long...)

I don't normally start threads, just kinda browse and respond to everyone else's. But I'm a little freaked right now after seeing my doctor today...

Long story short, my BP and weight have steadily climbed over the past three weeks. Doc wanted to see me today instead of our normal Wed appt. to monitor both. Well, my BP shot up and my weight went up by 4lbs in a week. My swelling has gotten much worse and as I was getting sick yesterday morning, I saw stars/ little flecks of light. Told Doc and he said that he felt inducing was the safest route.

I told myself from the beginning of this pregnancy that this might happen. Hell, nothing is for certain. I'm usually a laid back, go with the flow kinda girl. But now that our birth plan has actually changed (we were planning on natural, med free) I'm scared shitless and panicked feeling. I feel like I'm being forced to do something I don't want to do - when I know that the most important thing is to do what's best for my baby and for my own health. Logic vs emotion...

On top of that, Doc swears by Cytotec, a drug that I've researched and just don't feel comfortable with. Moms and best friend are both upset that I didn't rush right over to the hospital today to get induced right away (I asked Doc if we could schedule it for Wednesday so I could have a few days to mentally prepare). Just feeling a lot of pressure from everyone on what to do, feeling scared and insecure... Not sure there's a question here, just a vent post, I guess. If anyone has any similar stories, feel free to share. Reading the different stories on the bump so far have really made me feel less alone. Thanks for listening.

Re: Oy... induction, here we come! (A little long...)

• I feel for you, I'm also planning a natural birth and if I go over my due date and have to be induced I will be very unhappy, disappointed and scared as well. When is your due date? Have you tried anything else to gag get baby moving? I spoke to an acupuncturist today who said he has a technique that will induce labor, but he only does it after 40 weeks, maybe this is something you could try? Has your doctor done a membrane sweep? In my opinion it is a milder form of induction, my mom had it done with two kids and gave birth within 2 days after, no meds and no problems. I can tell you a friend of mine was recently induced at 41 1/2 weeks, the doctor gave her cytoteh, she had planned on having a natural birth as well, but the baby went into distress and she had to have a c section. I don't want to freak you out with that story, I'm sure it works fine for plenty of people, and if you need to do it for medical reasons I think you should do it. However, I would suggest if your doctor has given you a few days before the induction try acupuncture and ask for a membrane sweep in the meantime to see if you can get things moving on your own.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry this isn't going as you'd hoped. I was also scheduled to be induced with DD at 39 weeks 4 days. Guess what? I got to the hospital at 5 am, put my gown on at 5:15 am, my water broke at 5:20 am & my DD was here at 7:45 am! I was never induced. :) So even planned inductions don't really go as planned. I will be praying for you & that you will feel more at ease. ((hugs))

• PS - Don't be a stranger. :) Post more often.

• Thanks, guys. Feeling a little calmer after really letting it sink in. I'm still scared - but I guess that's probably how it would be for any labor, natural or induced. I'm hoping the induction goes well enough that we don't have to look at c-sec.
  • Skeemer said:
    PS - Don't be a stranger. :) Post more often.

Definitely going to try! :) Sometimes I just don't know what to say. But I love reading everything that everyone else posts.
  • Your doc sounds like they have a good plan for you.  I know it's not ideal especially if you want a natural, med-free birth, but gotta do what's best for you.  I went from wanting a natural, med-free birth to having to have an emergency C to save my life and my son's, and I have to say I have no regrets.  All circumstances are different, but whatever happens will happen.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!  Hope to see you on this other side with a cute little squishy soon.

P.S. I have no idea if half of my posts right now make any sense because of pain meds.  Whee!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was pretty unhappy that I had to be induced. I felt like my body wasn't doing what it was supposed to do I it's own. Then the idea that I might have to still have a c-section made me even more anxious. Then, I thought that, while it is not my ideal scenario, most of the birth stories I've read on this BMB rarely include the phrase "it was exactly how I pictured it going in my head." But, by the end of each birth story, every single one is thrilled to have their baby in their arms and begin the transition as a family plus one. Overall, my labor went smoothly, even after a cervidil ripener overnight and pitocin drip the next morning. I had the feared episiotomy (which I had preferred to tear, but baby didn't have time to wait for me), and I would still do it all over again, just to have my Rosalie. I am so sorry you are anxious and nervous. I think we have all been there. But I hope you are with doctors who you have trusted throughout yor pregnancy, and realize that they have your health and the health of your baby and the forefront of their minds. I hope that makes trusting their suggestions easier. Good luck and I cannot wait to read your birth story - however it unfolds!
    I hadn't thought about it like that - you're right. Everyone who talks about their birth story always has the same ending, that they are so happy to have their little one safe and sound on the outside. I will really use that as my visual to push through my mental block I fear I'm creating. :)
  • Good luck with everything. Lots of people on here have had successful inductions.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Vision issues, floaters, high bp, edema, protein in urine...They're having me do a 24 hr urine catch and bed rest though and then an appt on Thursday. Personally at this point I'd be happy to be induced and just done.

I'm on mobile so I can't see your ticker. How far along are you? Are you dilated or effaced?
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Good luck with everything. Lots of people on here have had successful inductions. I'm kind of in the same boat. Vision issues, floaters, high bp, edema, protein in urine...They're having me do a 24 hr urine catch and bed rest though and then an appt on Thursday. Personally at this point I'd be happy to be induced and just done. I'm on mobile so I can't see your ticker. How far along are you? Are you dilated or effaced?

I'm 40 weeks 5 days. Doc has said for the past two weeks that I'm 60% effaced but not dilating. And he doesn't seem to think I'm effacing efficiently.

He did tell me that in any other circumstances, without the high bp and swelling, he would be okay with me waiting until 42 weeks. But he's worried that with my BP continuously going up, that it's only going to get worse and cause more problems.

Taking it pretty easy today to try and rest up for tomorrow. I'm assuming I'll need lots of sleep and energy. I've heard that inductions can go fast or take a few days. Guess I'll take lots of reading material. :)

• Rest up! Keep us updated!
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• I also wanted a natural, med free birth but was unable to follow my plan and instead needed a c section. It's definitely tough when plans change but like PP have said--at the end of the day your LO will be here safe and sound. And trust me, you won't care how he/she arrived at that point. Good luck with your induction, I hope it goes smoothly!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"