Baby Names

Naming daughter after grandfather

I am due December 1 with my second child and we are team green, so need to come up with a boy name and a girl name. 

My FIL is named Rory. He's a wonderful guy and both my husband and I would love to honor him. To me Rory is a boy's name and Rory Patrick is the way to go. However, my husband has had several dreams where we had a little girl named Rory and now he has it stuck in his head to use the name for a girl. I can't my head around a little girl named Rory, but maybe it's because of the associate with my FIL, who is a great big manly bear of a man. I think we need to come up with another girl name but husband won't budge.

What do you guys think?

Re: Naming daughter after grandfather

• Joy2611 said:
    I think Aurora, nickname Rory, is perfectly fine.

I think Rory has a given name on a girl is atrocious.

Agreed.  Aurora is beautiful.

Rory on a girl is very Gilmore Girls (although her full name was Lorelai, wasn't it? Or was that her mother?).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh man, I didn't even think about the Gilmore Girls connection! 

Aurora...I also hadn't thought about that. It's very pretty! I will have to discuss with DH. I'm glad I'm not off base thinking Rory for a girl is just wrong.
  • I love Aurora nn Rory! If DH is not okay with that, I would mn it.
    Rory Patrick for a boy is great!
  • For a while DH and I had Caroline nn Rory on our girl list.  Agreed with all PP's that Rory is a great nickname for a girl, but not given name.  My siggy indicates that I'm a fan...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I think picking a feminine version or feminine name inspired by the name of the one to be honored is perfectly legit. I am a girl named after my grandfather. His name was Lawrence. A girl named Lawrence would be odd indeed. Instead I am Laura - a perfectly legit girls name inspired by my grandfather's masculine name, but never any doubt or ambiguity over where my name came from or who it was meant to honor. In the same vein, I think Aurora, nn Rory is a great option.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• I find Rory to be pretty gender neutral. Go for it! I actually really like it as a girl's name just as it is.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    I like the thought of it, it's very nice!! Rory Patrick is awesome!!! Rory does also work for a girl ( a la Gilmore Girls, Lorelei was the mother) I personally find it more for a boy but it's not awful for a girl, I think it's considered gender neutral, I also like the suggestion of Aurora nn Rory!! But I don't see a problem with just Rory either, you could always go more frilly and girly for a middle name to balance it
  • sasq09sasq09 member
    I named my daughter Lorelai, and yes I am a Gilmore Girls fan, but I never understood how they got Rory from Lorelai, until one day I called DD Rory by accident. It had nothing to do with Gilmore Girls, it just flowed out. I love it as her "baby" nick name. I also never knew it was a boys name at all. To me it sounds cutesy girly.
  • My friend's daughter is named Aurora and they call her Rory for short.
  • 2Swanns said:

I find Rory to be pretty gender neutral. Go for it! I actually really like it as a girl's name just as it is.

I had a Cabbage Patch Kid named Susannah Rory, so I always assumed Rory was a female name. It wasn't until my brother had a male friend in college named Rory that I realized it was traditionally male. I think it works fine as a girls name, but I like it as a nn for Aurora or Aurelia as well.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!
  • JustCricketJustCricket member
    edited July 2014
    I am a fan of taking a 'feminine' form of Rory (is there even a direct feminine form of this name???), or a name that you can use that as a nn (Ie Aurora or Aurelia). But if you still really like Rory as a stand alone, I say go for it. 

eta- not sure how 'legit' this site is but it has a bunch of irish names on there including 'feminine' forms of Rory. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • According to the website below, it could be a shortened version of Aurelia, which I love way better than Aurora

https://wiki.name.com/en/Rory

Several fan sites have noted that a lot of shortened versions or nicknames of full names don't directly correlate with the full name (eg, Anthony to Tony, Elizabeth to Libby). *shrugs*

• According to the website below, it could be a shortened version of Aurelia, which I love way better than Aurora

https://wiki.name.com/en/Rory

Several fan sites have noted that a lot of shortened versions or nicknames of full names don't directly correlate with the full name (eg, Anthony to Tony, Elizabeth to Libby). *shrugs*

Yeah, I think I like Aurelia better. I mentioned Aurora, which I also like, to a few people and they all immediately said, oh, Sleeping Beauty. This is made worse by the movie Maleficent, which just came out. 

We're just going to have to have a boy. No other way around it!
  • I am a fan of taking a 'feminine' form of Rory (is there even a direct feminine form of this name???), or a name that you can use that as a nn (Ie Aurora or Aurelia). But if you still really like Rory as a stand alone, I say go for it. 

eta- not sure how 'legit' this site is but it has a bunch of irish names on there including 'feminine' forms of Rory. 

Ruairi is in there as a girls name!!! This is all boy so I wouldn't trust any of their other suggestions. And I've never heard of any one (girl or otherwise) names Rori.

This is kinda interesting https://www.nancy.cc/2011/02/09/rory-boy-name-or-girl-name/

But Rory is 100% boy yo me.
  • ==N====N== member
    Had ds been a girl he'd have been Aurora nn Rory.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I really like the name and the reason behind using it!! I hope that you stick with it and if you decide to chose a different name maybe think about using it as MN
  • I have a boy cousin named Rory.

I also know a little girl named Rory and it fits her well. I think it's a cute, spunky name!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • CMSAVCMSAV member
    I really like Rory on a boy, don't mind it as a nn for a girl but I'd be tempted to save it for a boy if you are planning to have more children.
  • /blockquote>

Ruairi is in there as a girls name!!! This is all boy so I wouldn't trust any of their other suggestions. And I've never heard of any one (girl or otherwise) names Rori.

This is kinda interesting https://www.nancy.cc/2011/02/09/rory-boy-name-or-girl-name/

Ruairi might be roo-a-ree, rather that roar-y. My male OB is Ruary (roo-a-ree)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • stahlop said:
    I find Rory to be pretty gender neutral. Go for it! I actually really like it as a girl's name just as it is.
    I had a Cabbage Patch Kid named Susannah Rory, so I always assumed Rory was a female name. It wasn't until my brother had a male friend in college named Rory that I realized it was traditionally male. I think it works fine as a girls name, but I like it as a nn for Aurora or Aurelia as well.
    I had a CPK named Roxanne Rory, so I've always thought it was a girl name, too!  Funny.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• /blockquote>

Ruairi might be roo-a-ree, rather that roar-y. My male OB is Ruary (roo-a-ree)
    It's a slightly different pronunciation alright (sort of Rur-ee as opposed to Roar-ee) but it's the Irish for Rory and definitely male
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"