Special Needs

Vent

Just wanted to get this out with those of you who will understand and not judge me.  My DH is a wonderful daddy and husband, but I couldn't bring myself to talk to him about this, because it would make me feel even worse.

I'm upset with myself, I almost lost it this weekend with my DD, over something so small. I wanted to take the kids in the jogger to get some exercise, and DD threw a fit, refusing to get in. I was moody and over-tired anyway, and in my head I just lost it. I at least kept it to myself and let myself cool down, but I feel awful for even feeling frustrated with her.

She is non-verbal, and has recently just really started showing us what she wants by pulling us to things, and all she ever wants to do is go on her bike. She is constantly dragging us to the garage to get it, and of course she didn't want to go in the jogger when her bike was in plain site.

I know it was an over-reaction on my part.  I had been running around trying to get things accomplished all morning and just wanted to cross exercise off my list, and I should have slowed down to " listen" to my girl when she was trying to tell me all day (by grabbing my hand and dragging me towards the door) that she wanted that bike.

Re: Vent

• I'd bet we have all had moments like this, I know I have.
  • GREAT JOB KEEPING YOUR COOL!  It can be so frustrating to have nonverbal children ( i have 2).

Don't beat yourself up at all! You have no reason too.  You caught yourself after getting upset and didn't take it out on anyone.  Thinking thoughts or having certain expectations is okay.  Getting frustrated because your child showed her will is okay too.  DS1 is 4 and just starting to lead us to things he wants.  I've been so used to just being able to get him to do what i want that it was a hard transition once he realized he ha some power of communication.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you Auntie for those last few paragraphs. I really needed to hear that. I feel like I am learning more everyday.

Thank you all for your kind words. I love that we have a safe place here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"