August 2013 Moms

LO hitting?

DD has started hitting and I have no idea why. When she goes to swat at me I gently hold her hand and say "no" but usually she'll just smile at me and keep trying to swat at me. If she continues doing it, I'll put her down if I've been holding her, or walk away, but then she freaks out crying and will pull on me or chase after me. I was curious if anyone else's LO's were doing this and if you've found something that has helped minimize the behavior. I'm just trying to be consistent and let her know it's not ok and I won't tolerate her doing it but so far it doesn't seem to really be deterring her.

Re: LO hitting?

• DD2 is definitely a hitter. I just move her hand away from her and tell her that I will not let her hit me. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeahhh. It's been going on for wayyy too long. I say "not nice",  gently move his hand away from my face, and put him down on the ground. He usually gets upset and cries, but I'm not really sure what else to do.

• Loading the player...
  • Te consequence of walking away or putting down is good but pp is right giving an appropriate behavior to replace the non preferred behavior will work best. But be sure it's replacing the function of the hitting..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for the input ladies! I will definitely try having her replace the behavior with something more desirable and see how she responds to it.

• One of the boys hits out of excitement - it goes w the excited arm waving he's been doing of late. I don't correct that bc the intent is not to hurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"