Two Under 2
Options

Outings

M will be 19 months when the new baby arrives.  We usually do library storytime 2x week, a moms' group hike 1x/week, a playgroup 1x/week, and sometimes music class or swimming lessons 1x/week.  This summer, we have been stuck at home  a lot more because M is very fast now and I am becoming very slow (and heat intolerant).  She likes TV and is pretty good at playing with her toys on her own, but she really much prefers outings.  Her newborn days are hazy, but it seems it was feed, change, feed, change, feed, change.  I can't really see doing either of these things during a mom and me type class where I need to be pretty much holding M the whole time.  Even at playgroup I usually end up chasing M most of the time (it's at the library and they leave the door open and she bolts into other parts of the library constantly)--babywearing might work, but I don't see how I could breastfeed while sitting on the floor, surrounded by children, in the tiny room where this class takes place, while M is running out the door.  How did you work these type of activities?  How old was new LO when you regularly ventured out?  I was thinking of perhaps getting a sitter so I could do some of the trickier activities with M (or sending M to activities with a sitter when I stayed home).  What activities were really impossible with 2u2?  What worked well?  How old was new LO when you could leave him for a couple hours with a sitter?

Re: Outings

• Options
    All those activities sound okay with 2u2 except swimming. My second was hard to leave with a sitter because he wouldn't take a bottle. I only left him for 1-2hrs until he was 6 months and eating table food.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    DD was 19.5 mos when DS was born and honestly we didn't do too many outings for a bit.  We would head to family or friend's houses since those places were usually safe and had different toys.  We went to our children's museum a lot because they have a toddler area that is sectioned off so I could see her the whole time while wearing DS.  Is there not a play area at your library that is closed off a bit so she can play?  

I didn't leave DS with people very often because he didn't take a bottle but I did every once in awhile.  My MIL came over once a week and usually took DD somewhere fun just the two of them and DD loved that.  Our outings in the beginning were just walks around the neighborhood or trips to the dollar tree.  

I would think you could keep up with story time at the library (there are lots of new babies there) and the music class.  Swimming would definitely be out unless you have a sitter.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RedDDDRedDDD member
    I didn't venture out for a while either.  Mine are 17 months apart.  To be honest I just started taking them both places by myself!!  ah!  DD is 10 months!  Its just a Sh*t show every time you go anywhere so I would really only go to my in-laws house or very quick trips to the store.  DS was too young and had only started walking 2 months prior to LO being born so they both needed to be carried everywhere.  We only went out when both my husband and I could go.  The perks of 2U2!  :)
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We did all those things except swimming. You really just figure it out- the first few times are tough but it really does get easier. I would start w storytime and just ask them to close the door. For me, storytime was a great place to get used to bf-ing in public. It tends to be mostly sympathetic moms. Once storytime gets easier try something that seems a little more jntimidating. You will get the hang of it!
    IMG_0663
  • Options
    bookworm982bookworm982 member
    edited July 2014
    I'm all about outings. Newborns sleep so well on the go, and DD always had a better day if we went somewhere in the morning. We went on our first outing when DS was only a few days old, I was venturing out alone with both babies by about three weeks, and we were out daily by about a month in. Really, it saved my sanity. DD got to have fun at the park, play group, library, etc, and DS napped in his car seat clipped to the double stroller. If he woke, I had a carrier with me. I'm not shy about nursing in public, so that aspect of being out and about never bothered me.

Honestly, it got harder when DS was older and started needing more structured nap times. I'm counting down to this autumn when I can take him down to one nap a day. Days will be so much easier again when we don't have to work around a morning nap.

ETA: I due with #3 when DS is 18 months. I plan on doing everything the same again. I'd rather deal with the stress of packing up 3u3 than try and wear two toddlers out at home while caring for a newborn. I'm all about letting them burn energy. We don't have a yard to play in, or I might have a different response.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"