Special Needs
Options

Some new anxiety issues

I'm at a loss with this. A few months ago DS heard a scary story at school about bad guys who kill kids while they sleep. Ever since then DS has been unable to sleep in his bed all night. We went through showing him our alarm system, locked doors, etc. This calmed him a bit. But the only way to get him to go to sleep in his bed is to tell him he can come upstairs to our room, quietly, without waking us, and sleep on our bedroom floor IF he wakes up and is scared during the night. So every night for almost 3 months he wakes up around midnight and we find him on our floor in the morning. Every time I try to suggest he has to stay in his bed all night, he will melt down crying. One night I tried to put him back in his bed and it ended up a big screaming mess. I've tried to talk to him reasonably about it, and he agrees that he can't do this forever, but he thinks we should allow it "until he's a teenager."

DS is only given a pillow and blanket to sleep on in our room- as I'm not trying to make it more comfortable for him, but he is quite happy sleeping on the floor. Again, he goes to sleep without fuss in his own bed, but like clockwork wakes each night and comes upstairs.

Background: DS is 6, pdd-nos, with emotional regulation deficits and anxiety.

Do I wait this out- or do I need to be more proactive?

Re: Some new anxiety issues

• Options
    AA0417 said:
    My first thought is pulling out the baby monitor if you still have one (otherwise buying a cheap walkie talkie set) so that he feels like he can call out for you if he feels in danger.
    Excellent point, thanks. Our house is small with his bedroom on the main level and ours on the second level- he knows we can't hear him if he just calls out for us. We had a baby monitor for 5 years until it final gave out; a walkie talkie is a great idea.
  • Options
    -auntie- said:
    Allowing it is probably feeding the anxiety.

He needs to be given the tools to work past this, or it'll always be something. The goal, as always, is independence.

CBT would be a terrific option to help give him strategies to manage his anxiety on his own. Clear expectations stated up front- perhaps a Social Story- and start new rules about sleep.

If his anxiety is so out of control, meds might be an option.

This is what I was afraid of. As usual DH and I aren't on the same page. DH will give in immediately "to keep the peace." We did try one night to be strong and consistent. We locked our bedroom door and kept telling him to go to sleep. DS was hysterically screaming and crying so loud I was afraid our neighbors would call the police. Hence the bedroom floor scenario. DS is using crying to his advantage all the time and DH buys it hook line and sinker every time.

I found an article on sleep training from a pysch office online; maybe I can convince DH to get on board. Otherwise I guess I'll be having some sleepless nights alone this week.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    whether or not your child has delays he still experiences normal developmental stages just sometimes late. This isn't a medical problem. Great job looking into sleep training. Just know it's harder when thy are older but works the same. Suggest getting professional help even temporary to adjust behavioral strategies and parenting techniques. You need sleep and so does he. Ps right now I'd keep the door locked but answer it. That way you know he is there you can address his fears and walk him back.

This is the game plan for tonight. I sent the article to DH and he replied that he is on board to try it. I predict we'll have one really bad night and then tomorrow he'll be better. I'm going to try to use a "celebration" carrot and tell him we'll take him to Chuck E Cheese next weekend if he can sleep in his bed all week.

Another question: I don't know when to tell him about the new rule. (1) If I tell him right when he comes home he'll obsess over it and cry for a long time- but ultimately he'll get over it (and I'm sure cry again at bedtime). But it would give it a chance to sink in. (2) We could wait until bedtime and then suffer through a good two hours of crying/screaming/etc. Bed time is 8 pm for him so we'd be up and around to deal with it. He knows we don't go to bed until 10 so he would almost certainly stay up until 10 to test the rule and he'd be out of his bed 1000 times inbetween then. (3) We could put him to bed and not tell him, and then when he comes upstairs (I'll put a bell on it to wake me) I'll calmly take him downstairs. This is a little bit springing on him, but he'd be drowsy enough that it may end quicker.

Thoughts? I do hope to get expert advice on this. We've been on a waitlist for a psych for almost a year which is ridiculous; I'm going to call again today and see what's up.

• Options
    When DD1 was stalling and getting up every 90 seconds at bedtime we gave her 2 cards and told her she was allowed to get up and come to our room twice. Once the cards were gone she had to stay in her bed. She was allowed to use the cards for whatever she wanted (extra hugs, water, one last question, bathroom, etc). If she got up again after she used her cards, she lost dessert the next day (she's extremely dessert-motivated).  We presented the new strategy after dinner one night to give her time to think about it.  It worked AMAZINGLY well.  The parameters were very clear, and it put more of the responsibility on her, so it didn't feel like a battle of wills.

She also the kind of kid who needs time to reframe her anxiety, so I don't like to spring things on her.
  • Options
    Wanted to add--good luck!  Don't feel like you have to tackle this tonight.  It's better to get on the same page with DH and figure out your strategy, so you both approach it the same way and can be consistent.
  • Options
    Wanted to add--good luck!  Don't feel like you have to tackle this tonight.  It's better to get on the same page with DH and figure out your strategy, so you both approach it the same way and can be consistent.
    Thank you! I like your strategy of the cards. I'm thinking it may not work since ultimately he's going to be stressed out that he has to sleep in his bed alone, which is his real problem, not so much the getting out of bed. DS is extremely rewards driven though (especially sweets) so if I have to I may start with small daily rewards, like pancakes and whipcream for breakfast if he sleeps all night in his bed... Good food for thought (heh)- thanks!
  • Options
    Thank you! I like your strategy of the cards. I'm thinking it may not work since ultimately he's going to be stressed out that he has to sleep in his bed alone, which is his real problem, not so much the getting out of bed. DS is extremely rewards driven though (especially sweets) so if I have to I may start with small daily rewards, like pancakes and whipcream for breakfast if he sleeps all night in his bed... Good food for thought (heh)- thanks!
    Yeah, I know we had a different issue, but I thought I'd mention how we approached our bed problem.  Just wanted to throw another idea into the mix :)
  • Options

Well, he did it- sortof. We sat him down for a family meeting. We were very positive and said that we were so proud of him for sleeping so well the past few months that we thought he was ready to sleep all on his own again. I told him that to celebrate him sleeping in his bed by himself all week long, we would go to Chuck E Cheese. He thought about it and said, "Ok, I'll do it!" We high-5'd and DH and I felt like parents of the year- until we realized DS thought he'd get Chuckie for just 1 night of sleeping alone. We explain that no, this was forever. Which caused some crying. Then bedtime, which was calm, with reading, etc. Then crying but only for about a half hour.

Slept soundly until 11:40 when he predictably came upstairs. I took him down and there were some tears. Put him in bed. Up he came. Louder crying, protesting. This went on for an hour with DS intermittantly not crying but pleading "I can't handle it Mom, I just can't do it!" to him wailing and sobbing. But mostly it was sobbing and then silence and him running up the stairs.  Also lots of "but now I can't go to Chuckie" which made me realize my bribe had backfired- I should have held on to that until morning. After an hour of us both going up and down the stairs DH got upset and told me to try something else. (To his credit, DH did take some turns bringing DS to bed to make it known we were both on the same page. But he's a bear when he's sleep deprived so I took charge on most of this). I took DS down and told him if he stayed in his bed all night I would sleep on the couch. DS immediately said okay and fell right to sleep. I peeked in 5 minutes later and went back upstairs to sleep and we all slept until morning. I made a big deal of congratulating him for sleeping on his own, although DS was pretty grumbly saying he had only done it because I "made" him. He was still grumbling about it when I dropped him off at camp and he said "We'll talk about this tonight!!"

I realize it's not a total win because in the end he was relying on my presence in the room next to him to fall asleep, but it's a start anyway. Tonight I'll  probably tell him that I'm only going to stay for 10 minutes.

I really can see the value in breaking this habit. It reminds me of his pacifer as a toddler. He was still using it as an almost 3 year old. He obviously couldn't "pacify" himself on his own and needed a crutch. Same thing with the swaddle- he was addicted to it and we had an extremely rough transition breaking him from it at (yikes) 10 months old. He didn't know how to wind down or fall asleep without being wrapped up like a burrito.

• Options
    Good for you!  He'll get there.  Obviously you know your DS best, but I had a couple of thoughts. What if there was one night a week where you let him have a sleepover on your floor? Like Saturday slumber party or something. Then the rest of the week he has to sleep in his bed, but he can look forward to Saturday, and it doesn't seem so all or nothing. I'm just trying to think about what I might do with my anxious six year old. 

I think the Chuck E Cheese reward is fine. You could always let him earn another trip after 2 weeks of sleeping in his own room, and another big thing after a month or something like that.  I feel like you need buy-in from him to make it stick.  Little trinkets and stickers would not work for us.  We don't use any strategies that result in crying in the middle of the night because our house is small and we have 3 kids :).  

DD1 was hooked on a paci until she was almost 3, too.  I only took it away because I was worried about her teeth.  We worked out a deal where she traded her pacis for a stuffed animal she'd been wanting.  She "paid" the cashier herself, lol.
  • Options
    Good for you!  He'll get there.  Obviously you know your DS best, but I had a couple of thoughts. What if there was one night a week where you let him have a sleepover on your floor?

I had this same thought. My son can start crying over the fact that he missed a Scooby Doo episode, but immediately pacified if I tell him he can watch it again in 2 weeks. For him it's just knowing that the possibility exists is enough, even if it is far in the future. But I'll have to think about how/when to administer so as to keep it spontaneous, too.

I think the Chuck E Cheese reward is fine. You could always let him earn another trip after 2 weeks of sleeping in his own room, and another big thing after a month or something like that.  I feel like you need buy-in from him to make it stick.  Little trinkets and stickers would not work for us.  We don't use any strategies that result in crying in the middle of the night because our house is small and we have 3 kids :).  

Exactly. My DS needs a big "hook" and Chuck E Cheese is like crack. I can already tell he just has a mental block about this and by next week I doubt he'll even ask about a celebratory prize (last night there was only about 10 minutes of crying and one out of bed visit). If he does DH and I agreed we'd all go to a movie.
    DD1 was hooked on a paci until she was almost 3, too.  I only took it away because I was worried about her teeth.  We worked out a deal where she traded her pacis for a stuffed animal she'd been wanting.  She "paid" the cashier herself, lol.
    Funny- for my rule boy we had to tell him that when he turned 3 the police would take them away. I was prepared to take him to the police station in a neighboring sleepy suburb (i.e. bored cops) or have a mall cop to talk to him, but it didn't even come to that, he just complied.
  • Options
    Good for you!  He'll get there.  Obviously you know your DS best, but I had a couple of thoughts. What if there was one night a week where you let him have a sleepover on your floor?

I had this same thought. My son can start crying over the fact that he missed a Scooby Doo episode, but immediately pacified if I tell him he can watch it again in 2 weeks. For him it's just knowing that the possibility exists is enough, even if it is far in the future. But I'll have to think about how/when to administer so as to keep it spontaneous, too.

Exactly. My DS needs a big "hook" and Chuck E Cheese is like crack. I can already tell he just has a mental block about this and by next week I doubt he'll even ask about a celebratory prize (last night there was only about 10 minutes of crying and one out of bed visit). If he does DH and I agreed we'd all go to a movie.
    Funny- for my rule boy we had to tell him that when he turned 3 the police would take them away. I was prepared to take him to the police station in a neighboring sleepy suburb (i.e. bored cops) or have a mall cop to talk to him, but it didn't even come to that, he just complied.
    I'm so glad he's doing so well!  The paci police idea is too funny!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"