Baby Names
Options

Are Joe and Jonah too close?

My husband is called Joe and we like the name Jonah for a boy. Is it to close to my husband's name?

Re: Are Joe and Jonah too close?

• Options
    Grace0609 said:

I don't think so. For brothers? Yes. But I think it is kind of nice and sounds a little like you named the baby after dh. Which I happen to think is fine, although I know it is unpopular on the board.

Agree. I'm not a fan of juniors, but it is common enough.
  • Options
    For me, yes. I wouldn't choose a name so similar to my or DH's name. I wouldn't side-eye someone else for doing so, though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
  • Options
    I think it's ok for father and son.  They still have their own identities for credit scores etc.  When your son's friends get older and their voices deepen, you'll still have the clue that they said more than one syllable to know who they are asking for.  I see no problems with it.
  • Options
    I personally don't think so... I'm assuming Joe is short for Joseph?? Although I guess it depends on if you plan on using a NN with Jonah (I probably wouldn't, but have a bias against nn's after everyone in my life tried to force one on me!)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. Yes, my husband is Joseph and the baby would be Jonah (no nickname). It's settled then!
  • Options
    I was going to say yes because I thought you were naming brothers. But I think it is perfectly fine for father and son.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options

They're too close for brothers but I think they're ok for father and son. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think yes, it's too similar. To me, it's along the same vein of a mother named Cate and a daughter named Caitlin. It's fine if you want the connection to be obvious/intentional, but if you want them to feel different, they don't.
  • Options
    Agree with other pp. Fine for father and son too close for brothers.
  • Options
    Too close for siblings, but not for father and son.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Meh. For me, yes. I wouldn't want my son's name to be so similar to my husband's but not actually be the same name. I might find it odd but wouldn't judge anyone who chose to do so, though. It's all about what you and your DH are comfortable with.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Grace0609 said:

I don't think so. For brothers? Yes. But I think it is kind of nice and sounds a little like you named the baby after dh. Which I happen to think is fine, although I know it is unpopular on the board.

All of this

• Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    It is pretty close with both names starting with Jo, but it's not as bad for father/son, for siblings yes definitely. It's personally too close for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"