3rd Trimester
Options

38 weeks pregnant, heart burn is getting worse!! Any suggestions??

It just seems I can't do anything to calm the heartburn. I drink water and nothing happens, milk, bread etc....if I take tums I vomit....its like there's no cure for me! If there's something different you ladies have tried please let me know! Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I'll try it! (Fingers crossed lol)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told milk does not help and makes it worse !
  • Options
    Chewing gum.. it creates saliva which helps to coat your throat. Sometimes I would even get up in the middle of the night, chew a piece for 20 min and go back to sleep.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Yea milk gets me every time! It sucks cause I always want cereal lol...

Gum? Humm. Gotta try that too, I'm willing to try anything at this point.. I can't afford to not sleep at night cause of heartburn..
  • Options
    You could try Zantac, which is a category B drug. But check with your doctor first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If i don't eat, if i eat to much or i eat to little I'll get nasty heartburn. The only meal i don't get heartburn (unless I eat something spicy) is lunchtime. I have to take tums and drink water to help ease it. Also when it's really bad taking a pill such as Zantac helps a ton
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Zantac, or prilosec both help, also try alczer tabs not tums

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    Thank you ladies!!
  • Options
    My heartburn is only relieved by hot tea. Nothing else works. I like the celestial seasonings fruit packs- blueberry, peach and raspberry. They're in separate packets so the flavors don't contaminate each other. I'm sure just about any kind o tea would work the same, but I just happen to like fruit flavors and they're caffiene free.
  • Options
    YES! It sounds crazy but a mug of hot water with 1/2 lemon squeezed in. My prenatal yoga instructor taught me this and I could kiss her feet. Works like a gem.
  • Options
    I've always had bad reflux so it just gets worse when I'm pregnant. Bananas are actually a trigger for me. I get it bad almost immediately after! I know it's hard because it seems like everything causes it but try to figure out what some of your worst "trigger" foods are. If you get it really bad try to remember the last thing you ate. My worst foods (besides bananas) are tomatoes, orange juice, peanut butter and anything really sugary. Try not to eat close to bed time. Get a wedge pillow that sits you up.
  • Options
    My doctor had to prescribe me meds in the last month of pregnancy because mine was getting so bad that it (combined with a few other factors) was keeping me up at night and none of my usual "tricks" were working. She actually got mad at me when I mentioned to her for not having mentioned it sooner. That's what your doctor is there for. 
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    Gaviscon is on my OB's "ok" list and is the only OTC med that works for me (it's like minty pepto). Also chewing peppermint gum sometimes helps. It's getting pretty terrible for me as well at 34 weeks. I agree on figuring out your trigger foods (although some days, like today, I feel like even water gives me heartburn!).
  • Options
    Plain yogurt worked great for me - just a few spoonfuls and heartburn was gone!
  • Options
    I take Zantac every night and Gaviscon as needed. I still get sick almost every night, but it's not as bad as it was. There are also foods/drinks that you should stay away from: fried/greasy food, tomatoes, anything spicy, dairy, caffeine (coffee, chocolate, soda, etc), fizzy drinks (including seltzer), acidic fruit and juices (oranges, lemons, etc). Just try to keep a fairly bland diet and eat SMALL meals every 2-3 hours. Don't eat within 3 hours of going to bed.
    Milk and dairy don't help b/c while they coat your stomach initially, your stomach will produce more acid to break down the coating.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    I mix 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in an ounce of water then stir it up & gulp it down real fast. It makes me burp pretty hardcore at first a few times but then I feel super relieved :)
  • Options
    Sleep with the extra large bottle of tums next to the bed and chew very slowly
  • Options
    My doctor told me to get nexium, she says it is safe. I have been using it throughout out my pregnancy because my acid is horrible, it really is great although it doesn't work right away you need to drink one in the morning with plenty of water before meals. Ask you doctor. I'm 37 weeks , we are almost there !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"