Breastfeeding
Options

Formula during the workday, BF at night?

I'm going back to work soon where pumping isn't really an option. I'd like to give DD formula during the day but then BF for her first feeding of the day and in the evening. Has anyone here successfully done this? Tips, thoughts, etc?

Re: Formula during the workday, BF at night?

• Options
    Might depend on how old the baby is. It was no problem for me at 12 months, but would be different at 12 weeks
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I nursed morning and bedtime with DD1 when she turned one.  That lasted one week then she decided she was done nursing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello, I don't mean to hijack the conversation but casey78 brought up a good point about being legally protected to pump. Does anyone know anything else about it?
  • Options
    LO will be 11 weeks when I go back. I'm an attorney and I spend a lot of time in court, depositions, meetings, etc and I know I'm not going to be able to pump
  • Options
    jenn43jenn43 member
    It takes some dedication, but you can schedule in pump breaks. Even two a day will make a big difference. I'm a surgeon, so I understand that it's tough. I have pump breaks scheduled in between patient appointments, and also before and after cases in the OR. I haven't had a case long enough yet where I've had to leave in the middle to pump, but I will if I need to. Can you schedule a break in the middle of a deposition or meeting?
  • Options
    since your LO is still on the younger side if you nursed only 2x a day and didn't pump during the day, i'm thinking your supply may end up taking a hit. you could always try it out and see what happens. good luck!

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Options
    Thanks all. I guess I'm just going to switch to formula then b/c I just can't pump at work.
  • Options

I was a combo feeder from the start. I say it's worth a try if breastfeeding is that important to you. You can always just see what happens. We nursed when together and formula fed when apart. I could have pumped but didn't want to.

No one knows for sure what will happen to your supply. And if it makes sense for you to switch all together - then go for it Mumma! Happy mommy = happy baby. Good luck with your transition.

• Options
    I'm not pumping at work any more, and just switched in the last two weeks to nursing before/after work only. My DD is 6 months, though, and eating cereal and veggie purees. I'm not sure how long my supply will stay in tact. I nurse before work and after work, and sometimes MOTN. All this equals at most 4 nursing sessions. I've heard some folks have had success with this, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning of the end for us. I'm super sad about it. 

I understand about not being able to pump at work. It's a lot of effort for me, and I have my own office and scheduled pumping times. Being in your situation, I would probably make the same decision. Good luck!
  • Options
    My mother combo fed me for 14 months without pumping during the day. I think she went back to work when I was about 5 months old.

She'd feed morning, a couple or 3 times in the evening and then exclusively on the weekends.

So it can be done! GL!

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options
    Do you get a mid-day lunch break? I get by doing it every 4 hours at work. If you can pump one time at work you could be fine.
  • Options
    Try to pump on the way to work, once at work, and on the way home. That way you could fit it in 3x per day. Also, maybe try the medela freestyle? It doesn't require an outlet.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    casey78 said:
    How old is LO? Everyone I know who has been bale to sustain this BF full-time at least 10 months. You mentioned that pumping at work is not really an option. If you are in the us, you generally have a protected right to pump until a year. We'd be happy to troubleshoot if you want to share more.
    Unfortunately, this is only protected for hourly employees.  It is not always the case.  In my situation, technically I would not be provided this right, but fortunately my colleagues have been reasonably accomodating.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    jenn43 said:
    It takes some dedication, but you can schedule in pump breaks. Even two a day will make a big difference. I'm a surgeon, so I understand that it's tough. I have pump breaks scheduled in between patient appointments, and also before and after cases in the OR. I haven't had a case long enough yet where I've had to leave in the middle to pump, but I will if I need to. Can you schedule a break in the middle of a deposition or meeting?
    I am in a very similar situation and I agree with @jenn43, with determination it is possible to pump in even the most demanding work environments.  It as definitely been the hardest part of BF (and parenting) for me so far.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I did this with my first child.   I went back to work at 2 months. I was able to partially breastfeed until 4 months, but slowly was adding more and more formula when I was home with the baby. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"