May 2014 Moms

No naps...anyone else?

My LO is 11 weeks old and rarely naps. She fights sleep with all her might. She has been this way since she was 2 weeks old. If I can get her to fall asleep she is usually up in 20-30 mins. Occasionally she will sleep for a longer time 1-2.5 hours, but that is rare. I've been trying to help her fall asleep, swaddle, white noise, letting her cry for a few mins before going in. I can tell she's tired and she often will fall asleep on my or while nursing but if I move her she wakes up most of the time.

I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and would LOVE to get her on a bit of a schedule. I read all of these posts about babies at this age needing about 5 hours of sleep during the day.
She does sleep well at night. Usually only wakes once around 3am.
Anyone else have a LO who doesn't really nap?

Re: No naps...anyone else?

• DS goes down swinging. It used to be really bad, now he's getting much better. If I miss his cue though and he's over tired - look out. He will cry then pass out. Poor duckie. Since he's been on a two hour cycle of eat, play and sleep I saw an immediate change in him, he was so much happier. Its slowly starting to lengthen his time awake.

I have no immediate sleep success tip. I just ride it out. I baby wear him to nap, but its not instantaneous. As he's getting older its getting better, so I hope one day he will sleep in his bed like he does at night. He's such a champ night sleeper. So I really can't complain.

I have no hard advice, just support :)
  • No advice either, but I know how you feel! Napping for my DS is hit and miss. Sometimes he goes the whole day refusing to nap and then other days he will take a 4+hr nap all in one stretch! It's like there is no in between with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I know how you feel! She is a fighter! I too have found that if I miss the first fussy period it is sooo much harder! I also found that I was trying to put her down too early. She would fall asleep while nursing too but never a deep enough sleep so when I put her down she would wake and I realized that was usually if she hadn't been up for at least an hour and a half. Sometimes the 90 mins works and she's down but other days she can stay awake 2 hours so I just have to go by her first little fuss. Then quick diaper change and to the exercise ball we go. I also found that bouncing helps more than rocking so unfortunately I don't really get to enjoy the snuggles cos my back hurts.
    Maybe try the 2 hour thing. That extra half hour on some days really helps us. Sometimes she's not tired enough and will just cat nap. Also my sister said one day just quit trying to put her back to sleep after a half hour nap even if she seems tired make sure she stays up that next hour and a half so I tried that and she took a really long nap. Sometimes she just needs a cat nap and sometimes she needs more.

• Oh another thing my sister said was that she'd rather have a good night sleeper than a good nap taker (if you have to pick one) so I decided not to get too upset about her cat naps or no naps.

• My DD does 20 minute naps only. Like to the second lol. She's EBF and still wakes up at night every 3-4hrs but goes immediately back to sleep so that's good. My LC said the same thing they either nap well or sleep well, and I would rather have a sleeper! Naps should lengthen as they eat solids or get older to a real nap of 1-2 hrs. I'm right there with you tho. Can't get anything done!!!
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • No advice (sorry) but you're not alone. My DD's pattern is very much like you described.

I'd love to ar least be able to get her to nap in a carrier like @florassecret‌ but she usually only will if I go for a really bouncy walk and then when I get home she wakes up. And it's hard to even get her into the carrier because she realizes she is near boobs but doesn't have access and that makes her mad. Or she just prefers to be held with no carrier.

I spend a lot of time being baby furniture after she falls asleep nursing so that she will at least get a longer cat nap than if i try to put her down and can't get much of anything done around the house which is a problem.

I'm hoping that being a few weeks older will make a difference and or that her daycare person will have some magic tricks!
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • During the day in order to get my boy to stay asleep we have to put him in his swing. We know its not ideal, and at night he sleeps in his bed swaddles, but the swing makes it work. We get a 3 hour nap in the afternoon as well as a few other hour long naps or so. If he falls asleep during the day and we up him doemwn anywhere else, he wakes up within 5 or 10 minutes. It's something to try if you're desperate :)
  • DD does one morning nap in her swing maybe 2-2.5 hours. If I dare stop the swing, her eyes pop right open. Other than this nap, she will only take a few 20-30 min naps and most are while nursing.
  • Yup my LO is sleeping in my arms as we speak because putting him down is hit or miss. He naps probably 20-30 being held and if we put him down 20 min is the max. Stinks!

• Read Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby. It does a great job explaining baby sleep and how to improve it.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"