Breastfeeding

Where to start....

JamieK1882JamieK1882 member
edited July 2014 in Breastfeeding
Hi everyone, I'm Jamie, FTM due this Nov. I plan to breastfeed, but am looking for info on how to start. DH and I signed up for a breastfeeding class through our delivery hospital, but I'm looking for any helpful websites or blogs I can read to start gathering info. I appreciate any info!

Re: Where to start....

• I mostly get any info I need from here XD But try KellyMom, my second go-to resource. Also if you search 'breastfeeding' in pinterest, it usually yields some interesting facts and tips.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage  
  • My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • Do you have any family or friends that have bf? I liked asking friends for their advice too.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • No family/friends that BF, but will definitely check out the sites mentioned and lurk more here. Thanks!
  • I also really wanted to be prepared ahead of time. Let me tell you - you can't. BFing is amazing, but can be really hard and there's nothing you can do ahead of time really.

I'd caution you not to buy a bunch of supplies ahead of time because you have NO idea how your body will be. Some people's milk comes in textbook day 2-3 and they leak like faucets and need breast pads, I never needed breast pads and have 3 boxes of them. I stocked up on Lanolin and hate the stuff. I had a Boppy and a twin BrestFriend. Didn't like either of them and just used throw pillows from the couch. Anything you need, you can get after the baby is born - Amazon and Diapers.com have really fast shipping or have someone run out to Target or WalMart to get stuff.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • flclflcl member
    Good for you for learning about BF before baby comes.  I wish I took the time to do the same while pregnant as BF was tough for us in the beginning.  Like PPs mentioned, kellymom is great, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was also helpful, and this board is super supportive.  Best of luck!
  • What helped me was watching on YouTube. FitMagazine's videos with Dr Korkey Harvey were what helped me the most. I also watched a ton of "how to" pump, store and BF videos so I knew what it all looks like. Apparently I am a visual learner.

I have heard TONS of horror stories and majority of moms totally scared the shit out of me with how hard BFing is/would be. I've learned this doesn't have to be the case so all my fear was such a waste of time. Take things day by day. Try to be well informed but know you'll never know how it's going to be or what to do until you're going through it. And- ask for help!! So many things have quick, easy solutions that I would never have known without asking!
  • i had a lot of anxiety about BFing too - both my SILs couldn't BF for various reasons and my mom raised me and formula. 

babies r us offered a free BFing class that i took.  you could always call them and see if they offer it.  i didn't read any books but lots of online research.  this board also very helpful!!  

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"